How much do you read a day, user?

How much do you read a day, user?

Around 30-50 pages. I don't read much, btw.

I try to read around 30 pages at least.

5-6 hours, I work and I read, that's it

>tfw no social life

About 3-4 hours a day, which amount to about 150 pages. I'm a slow reader because I subvocalized, but I can still get through a decent sized book or 2 short books a week, so ultimately I don't really care. I only allow myself an hour on Veeky Forums now and plan on taking a year long break starting from next January.

Subscribe to my blog for more info.

~1200 pages

About half an hour a day. That's if you count books though. I read on Veeky Forums almost all day.

50 pages at night when I'm in bed. 100 pages if the book interests me enough.

Go away Tai Lopez

Why don't you guys read more? Do you want to read more but end up procrastinating?

That's a lot. What do you do for work?

Good amount, though that plan seems stupid. Take week long breaks or something right now

Why are you on it almost all day? Don't you have other things to do? Why not swap the time you spend here with the time you spend reading?

Nah, I read about 150 pages an hour. So, it's about right.

>Take week long breaks or something right now
Good idea. Thanks.

>subvocalize

Fuck that meme. Great literature is meant to be heard.

If you're reading an electronics manual or a chemical enchyridion, by all means, speed-read.

But if you're reading anything worth reading it is better to hear the words and rhythm in your head, if not read out loud.

I also go the gym, and I work full time, its a shit job and I'm often tired of it. I also write about 1000 words at day.

I feel bad for you, you read so fast that you can't read beyond the surface level :( hope you get over yourself, grow up, and start actually reading with your brain instead of your eyes

Sorry brainlet. Not my fault I run faster than the fat kids.

aww see you're so insecure :/ poor guy

I used to read 2 hours a day (retardedly long bus transit) but nowadays I read for 30 minutes if I'm lucky. It's mostly because I'm lazy and reading is low on my priority list, though I do wish I could do more.

who's the babe? (can't image search on shitty os).

Thank you for validating me :)
I agree that the sound of prose is essential, poetry even more so (I prefer to read poetry aloud).

>:/
Faces on Veeky Forums are not a good indication of victory.

Annie Clarke

Years ago when i used to post on /mu/, she was quite popular. Don't know if she still is though. Haven't been there in a while

>he thinks it's a "battle"
well, I guess I shouldn't have expected self awareness from a guy who brags about his reading speed of all things.

4-5 hours. I have an easy work-from-home job, so I don't have to waste time commuting or getting ready for work. Usually read for an hour every morning while waking up, then two hours after work till my spouse gets home at 6, and an hour or more before going to bed at night. Still have time for a lot of other stuff while averaging 2-3 books a week.

You were boasting you have found the best way to read. I think you are wrong.

holy cow, how did i not recognize her? i went to one of her shows before she struck it big. it was in a small venue in Miami right after we had a dude eat the face off another guy - something which has recently happened again - and i recall she commented on it. i totally did not expect her to rock as much as she did. haven't kept up with her work after she released the duet album with David Byrne. might check her stuff out again soon. anyways, thanks for the heads up.

I try to read 100 pages a day during my downtime between semesters, but sometimes I get super lazy.

Actor is my favorite from her. It's a very crisp sounding album. Would definitely recommend. I haven't really heard much of her stuff since the self titled album though

What did she say about the bath salts guy?

>Why are you on it almost all day? Don't you have other things to do? Why not swap the time you spend here with the time you spend reading?

I don't have any hobbies other than Veeky Forums or reading. I know I could spend more time reading, but everytime I try to do that I just wonder what's happening on Veeky Forums and get restless if I'm not informed.

i don't recall, it's been years. something about how weird Florida can be and maybe something about the sun. sorry, dude, and keep away from bath salts. funny thing, that guy's toxicology report revealed he had only smoked a little bit of pot in the hours leading up to the attack. i wonder if the college kid involved in the recent attack was also relatively sober. strange things happen down here all the time.

Try to establish a schedule, read for an hour and then check Veeky Forums. Go for a work to clear your head, then read for an hour again. Getting at least 2 hours a day should see you making some decent progress and get you into the groove. Limit your Veeky Forums posting to decent(ish) slow moving boards and ensure you get fresh air and those two hours of reading. Watching television and movies will also be a good way to break up your Veeky Forums time. Veeky Forums isn't an evil in itself, it is only when it takes up all of your time.

*go for a walk

That's a fine idea, but sometimes I get into serious discussions that I can't let alone. Sometimes I do and then the thread dies and I'm left with a heavy feeling of regret and emptiness. I can't just check Veeky Forums. Being enaged in it is a part of things and sometimes I just get carried away and must shitpost for hours.

I read 30-40 pages a day which I now consider not too bad but when I was a teen I remember getting through 100 pages a day no trouble...and I used to read Okay stuff for a teen, Camus et al.

> Why did I get bad at reading
> IT'S THE INFLUENCE OF THE FUCKING SCREEN I SWEAR

I glossed it "wank".

I don't understand this. Reading isn't supposed to be a chore the way exercise is. You're not supposed to set "targets". If you don't like to read, just throw in the towel and drink a 12-pack of Bud Light. You won't be missed.

You have to stop at some point. No offense, but if you only read for half an hour a day your contributions probably aren't that good. Reading and enjoying literature should be the focus.

Time spent reading the words of great writers is better than time spent arguing with young people who don't really know what they're talking about.

I know you have it in you. If 2 hour seems to much, commit to reading for an hour at least and then work your way up. When you wake up in the morning, don't reach for your computer, have a shower to wake yourself up, drink some water and read for an hour.

Reading is a difficult pleasure, it does require effort. Just because you have a schedule doesn't really mean it is a chore, in the days of easy gratification, reading is one of the ways to prevent indulging in it too much. You can teach yourself to enjoy reading.

>Why don't you guys read more? Do you want to read more but end up procrastinating?
Somehow, yes. I don't have much time to spend on weekdays. I spend most of my day at school and usually chat for quite some time when I get home. And at weekends, I usually spend my free time doing other, superfluous, things, like browsing and playing, although I'm a little ashamed of that. Would you have a recommendation for me?

What you're saying is true, but I can't can't live life without Veeky Forums.

One time a year ago my family rented a cottage for about a week. There was no internet and I thought it would be a great time to catch up on my reading. I brought some Shakespeare, some Tolstoy, and some Borges and more, and was really excited about it.

However I just couldn't read anything. I just kept thinking about Veeky Forums and got really depressed when I realized there was no way of visiting Veeky Forums. A couple days in, I felt so terrible I couldn't get out of bed. My family thought I had the flu or something. I couldn't sleep because I just kept thinking about Veeky Forums. We had to go home early and as soon as I could I went back on the computer and finally I started to feel better again.

My brain is just wired to post on Veeky Forums. It doesn't matter is reading great writers is better than shitposting, because my body just can't help it.

>and get restless if I'm not informed.

I used to experience that too. The mind is constantly seeking out information, and If you form a habit of posting on this site, you can become psychologically dependent on this format of information consumed on Veeky Forums. It's easy, and it's instant satisfaction, though when you have a habit of doing nothing but being on this site all day, that easy satisfaction can make the mind lazy. Other types of information you try to consume from different mediums, such as books, can end up feeling more difficult to consume as it isn't as instantly rewarding as the internet can be; however, often times the rewards from something such as reading is far more rich.

You can break that habit. Some people are for banning things completely from their lives to go cold turkey, though in my personal opinion I think it just comes down to balance. You need to teach yourself not to become too reliant on this media. That regret you feel when getting into heated discussions and the thread dies, where you feel like you have wasted a great amount of time that you could have used for something far more productive; you need to learn to let go. These discussions are very rarely worth it. If you see something that makes you want to respond with some huge response that will take up hours, learn to let it go and do something else that is more productive.

It gets a lot easier the more you break the habit

You have an actual addiction. You need to fight it.

If it affects you that much, then you need to take a long break. Seriously, for it to interfere that much with your life is an addiction. Just stop now. Your brain isn't "wired for Veeky Forums." that's nothing but an excuse.

Don't wait 5 more minutes, don't read just one more post. Let this be the last sentence you read on this site for a few days at the very least, or ideally a week

How do I fight it though. I really don't want to go through that mess again.

>I really don't want to go through that mess again.
You are going to have to.

this

I read 500-600. Started and finished two books

Do you have any tips? Do I just have to endure the pain until it's over? What if it isn't over? Back then at the cottage I had to go through a few days of Veeky Forums withdrawal and it didn't subside one bit.

I honestly don't know. Do you have any friends? Try contacting old buddies and going out more.

Gradually increase the time you spend off Veeky Forums. 1 day off, then a week on Veeky Forums, 2 days off, then a week on Veeky Forums.

Do you really want this to be your life?

>want to read more
>waste too much time shitposting

This Swap this addiction with something more productive. Also, stop posting. Stop making these weak excuses.

This advice is good, though you don't even need friends to do this.

Just do something productive. Spend the time reading, do some volunteer work in order to meet people, apply for part time jobs or something. Don't let this site dictate your life. There is nothing wrong with the site, but when it comes to people such as yourself that spend the entire day on it, that is a problem. Swap this with something productive. No more excuses

>Do you have any friends?
No.

>Do you really want this to be your life?
desu It's not that bad, as long as I'm not away from Veeky Forums for too long.

There's literally nothing else I like doing. I guess I'll try to read more, but that's the only thing I can see myself doing. I'm pretty much unemployable, and getting accepted into a volunteer program is just as hard as finding a job.

>desu It's not that bad
It really is, but carry on if you have no shame.

>There's literally nothing else I like doing.

That's because you literally don't do any fucking thing else. And how are you unemployable? I don't believe that. I think that's another excuse you're making because you know it's a difficult thing to do.

>and getting accepted into a volunteer program is just as hard as finding a job.

No it's not. Have you even tried to do this? Even once? Do you want to be a neet for the rest of your life? If not, then stop wasting away and get off this site. You could have applied for dozens of things just in the amount of time you have wasted since you posted in this thread

Okay, I will.

Enjoy your inevitable suicide.

I'm not functional without Veeky Forums. Doing a job would be impossible. And having 0 education or experience doesn't help. And yes I've tried to volunteer. They wanted me to provide references and do psychological tests and crap.

I don't want to turn this into /r9k/. I'm going to stop posting here know and continue my pleasant Veeky Forums life.

Five a day. I only read on the bus and my commute is short.

Go to a cafe alone. I literally went from 10 pages in the toilet a day to 250. There are too many distractions at home.

>They wanted me to provide references
High school teachers. E-mail your high school and ask for references. I want to fucking shake you, humans can be more than this, you can be more than this. The fact that you choose Veeky Forums shows that you are somewhat aware that human beings can be more.

It depends, I'm a chemist and at work I can read when stuff is going on while I'm waiting but an average day at work I read 4 hours probably including lunch and then another hour or so at home after.

He may just be too far gone. I hope not, as it's a miserable life to live, but he seems like he is in such stubborn denial

>High school teachers. E-mail your high school and ask for references
What makes you think I haven't done this? Christ you people.

I never did well in high school and didn't really communicate with the teachers. Dunno if they would even remember me.

What makes me think you haven't done this is because it actually works.

They have you on record and would be happy to help. Keep making excuses though, that's all your good for.

But I have? They wouldn't help.

Bullshit.

>happy to help

They didn't help me when the other student bullied me...

It's nice that everything just works for you user. Enjoy it.

I'm waiting for a 'you got memed' any time now.
Or is the /r9k/ invasion true?

>student

*students
plural

holy cow bart! back to le reddit! cowabunga!

>What makes you think I haven't done this? Christ you people.

The fact that you are being pathetic and giving so many shitty excuses.

You know yourself that this is a problem, as you explained it as one. Though the minute it looks like you'd have to do something outside of your comfort zone, you're like
>it's not that bad living like this

You are being fucking pathetic, and you know that. You've had so many responses with solid advice, and the fact that you are even responding shows that some part of you knows this and doesn't want to live this way.

If you wanted it that bad. You would make a way.

I know your excuse is bullshit, because not every volunteer place wants references. Hell, even fucking employers disregard the reference section on applications. If you meet a dead end when trying to apply for one thing, then try another thing. There are even websites you can go to that find volunteer opportunities near you.

You need to get the fuck out of your comfort zone or you will never fucking develop

Everything works for me because I actually put effort in. I found a teacher I remembered and admired (wasn't even that close to her), wrote her an Email explaining the volunteering position I wanted (at a Library) and why I thought her reference would go a long way. You likely go through the minimum effort to receive a rejection and then use that as an excuse to carry on with your miserable life. Keep making excuses though.

>The fact that you are being pathetic and giving so many shitty excuses.
I'm not even the same person. I've done what you suggested. It didn't help at all. You think that because something worked for you, it will work for everyone else. It's very odd.

Damn you're a pathetic no-goal shiteating pontificating fraud enabling retard. Stop posting. You're not special.

Never said I was special, I just don't delude myself into thinking that Veeky Forums is the better alternative.

Which thing have you done that I have suggested?

>You think that because something worked for you, it will work for everyone else. It's very odd.

No. I think that he's trying to make excuses for himself in order to continue his pathetic lifestyle, because it's something that is easy

You're the one coming off as some pretentious twat

What I've been doing is spending some time reading, after ten or twenty pages (or however many it takes for me to change activities), I listen to an album and do internet shit. When the album is over I go back to reading. That way I get my music and internet dependencies out of the way at the same time.

That's a good method desu. Maximum efficiency

50 to 100 nigga real quick

My mobile died a weeks ago. Since then I realized I read like 3 times more than before.
It's actually scary, I think I should get rid of my smart phone entirely.

This summer maybe 30 pages/day, during the academic year it's around 50-100 depending on my mood and such.

I try to read at least 100 a day, although usually closer to 200. The only exception is when I'm reading a really good novel with difficult prose (think Nabokov or Joyce), where I try to read slowly and imbibe as much as possible

how did you get to this speed? i'm trying to increase my reading speed right now as a new reader and i'm finding its pretty hard. was it a gradual process or have you always read that quickly? i have trouble with paying attention and really absorbing the words when i'm scanning the page so quickly, mainly.

also, i read probably ~300 pages a day, unless i'm reading ulysses or something, but right now i'm primarily reading entry level history, etc

You can't truly appreciate a book if you read any faster than one page a day.

This desu senpai

hato to break to you bro, but you aren't reading, you are skimming

this, a few days I can break well over a 100, but most of the time im just too lazy to get more than 20 in

59 books so far this year. I'm not gonna make it to a hundred before the year ends but I still feel like an intellectual titan among all the freshman in my classes.

According to goodreads I average 36 per day. But that does not include my bible readings, and other stuff I've reread so I'm probably close to 40-45 pages per day.

Why do you read the Bible? We're you brought up that way or something?

my goal is minimum a chapter a day of whatever i'm reading.

maybe because he is religious or wants to read the bible you fucking retard

Maybe he isn't religious and just has a fascination with theology. Maybe he's a fucking Scientologist. I don't fucking care, I was just curious to know what compelled him to read the Bible.

not him but every night I read about 20 pages of the good book. Both for my religion and just because its great literature

I only read right before I go to bed honestly. Somewhere around 20-40 pages.

This. I agree from my personal experience. Maybe others can read quickly without hearing the sentences out in their head, but I find 'subvocalizing' helps me get the most of a text.
No point in rushing through something you do for pleasure.

I read about 20 pages. How much should I be reading to achieve a higher level of intellect?

>why do you read the bible

I read it because I grew up with it. I enjoy the history, the theology, and the mystical and the sublime... The bible really has it all.

But I'm not religious anymore, but in a strange way I hope to be again. I read it and I pray, but I don't consider myself religious.