Does anyone know Greek?

Does anyone know Greek?

Other urls found in this thread:

backreaction.blogspot.com/2016/08/the-lhc-nightmare-scenario-has-come-true.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

yes

No one knows Greek. It's a myth.

Ancient Greek? On this board? 100% no, although I'm sure some will claim to.

"The greatest of wonders is work, it shines over kings, over freedom, over free passages and over relaxation" - Arrianus.

"For who can alter another’s conviction? Failing a change of conviction, we merely get men pretending to be persuaded and chafing like slaves under coercion." - Antoninus.

There you go OP.

How different is the atic greek to the modern one?

It really just has more complex grammar.

Three years of Greek in undergrad; I approve of this man's translations.

First one is Epictetus being quoted by Arrian, usually translated as:
Great is the struggle, divine the task; the prize is a kingdom freedom, serenity, peace.
(Arrian is our main source for Epictetus)

Second looks like Aurelius. Usual translation is:
"For who can change men's opinions? and without a change of opinions what else is there than the slavery of men who groan while they pretend to obey?"

user here seems to have beat me to it. I need to click auto update more, that would have saved me some time.

>Great is the struggle, divine the task; the prize is a kingdom freedom, serenity, peace.

Probably a better translation. I was unsure whether it was ἀγὠν in the sense of struggle or whether it was wonder.

they're just the common translations, which tend to be the ones English speaking audiences recognise easier.
I figured OP was being a high level troll because most people cite them as Epictetus and Aurelius, not the actual source, so I added their usual attribution too

I've taken a couple of beginner courses, so I can work my way through a sentence if I set my mind to it, but that's about it.

OP, what are you reading? I can make out a faint impression that seems to say
>genius is a persistent historical libel which is graduall...
below the Greek sections and this all has sparked my interest

OP here. Not trolling, just needed help with the translation and a cursory glance at Google yielded nothing. Also, I kinda wanted to see if I'd get a real response. It's good to know Veeky Forums can come through. Thanks for the help.

Pic related. I've read through the intro and first part. Highly recommended.

HA, it's one of the bits of Carlyle I haven't read to shill. No wonder I wanted it.

Have you read anything about the Revolution before? I'm looking forward to reading Carlyle (and managed to get a 19th century gold-edge 3 volume leather bound set for like $30), but hear that it's not totally approachable without some background knowledge.

going to Carlyle for info about that revolution would be like asking William Buckley to write a book on the Russian revolution

>a snarky commenter on Veeky Forums knows more than two centuries of academics who respect Carlyle's text while not painting it as infallible

did I say he'd write a bad book on it? no, nor would I suspect a Buckley book on the Bolsheviks anything less than decent, Carlyle has a certain mentality though

>going to Carlyle for info about that revolution
I haven't read it, but considering Carlyle's theory of great men shaping history, that revolution is probably one of the better ones for him to comment on. His stuff on Rousseau, which I have read, is probably well complemented by Robespierre and other major figures of the revolution being added to the discussion.
>a certain mentality
Explain?

>certain mentality, Explain?
>"theory of great men shaping history"
>Robespierre

that one right there, there's all this poeticism that goes into the painting of the revolution as orchestrated by those men, but it really wasn't, the tribunals that went down and the way the revolution "began" and ended might be traced along events involving these men, but most of it was preplanned financing and political theory from a fairly large group of thinkers, nobles, capitalists, and networks all around Europe, who had watched the degeneration of the arisotocracy for a looong time with plans and ideals for what would follow

so instead of the obvious great men history remembers, it was the shadowy great men, i see. at least you came up with that without saying JEWS

> of the obvious great men history remembers, it was the shadowy great men

uh no, the French revolution was almost entirely a case of history, both before and after, being shaped by incompetant men, I include Napoleon and his cult in that statement

>most of it was preplanned financing and political theory from a fairly large group of thinkers, nobles, capitalists, and networks all around Europe, who had watched the degeneration of the arisotocracy for a looong time with plans and ideals for what would follow
>almost entirely a case of history, both before and after, being shaped by incompetant men
bit of a turn around. napoleon's probably less of a manlet than you too :3

thats pre 1974 greek, what seems to be the problem op?

did I praise those thinkers? their documents make for great poetry and university political sience courses, but real greatness lasts, where is Europe now? let alone France?

I think you'll find France is still in Europe, user.

had Cern but that recently turned out to be a giant failure

backreaction.blogspot.com/2016/08/the-lhc-nightmare-scenario-has-come-true.html

CERN is headquartered in Switzerland, user.

>thats pre 1974 greek

What do you mean by this? The text isn't Katharevousa, it's Ancient Attic.

LHC is on the franco-swiss border desu

Koine
The LHC isn't CERN. Bless your retarded heart though, you are trying

>Koine

Yeah you're right.

Any recommendations for learning ancient Greek?

Pharr and Homer

I thought homeric Greek wasn't the easiest to start with, I read that people start with Anabasis, don't know about the textbook though

>Any recommendations for learning ancient Greek?

The books "Reading Greek" by the Joint Association for Classical Teachers is really good and it's what I used when I started at Uni.

Xenophon's easy Attic Greek, which means that you'll not run up against as many new words, most of them are contracted, and the syntax isn't too hard. If you want to go that route, Crosby and Xenophon used be the alternative to Pharr and Homer.

This will make it harder to go back and learn Homeric Greek, because you'll be seeing the uncontracted forms, so you'll have to unlearn some things, and have to learn wider vocabulary.

Attic is the basis for Koine in large part, so it does open up a lot of Greek works for you, but without Homeric Greek, it's harder to read other dialects of Greek and things in Attic which are more complex than Xenophon (like Plato or Aeschylus).

Front loading the memorisation that Pharr demands is daunting, but it'll get you to fluency in more dialects faster, and offers a more interesting challenge than Crosby and Xenophon.
I'd recommend starting hard, but considering I'm offering you 19th C style education, you might want to listen to who seems to have a more modern education. It really does depend what you want it for though, and how broadly you want to read.

I should also mention Goodwin or Hadley's Greek grammar, which are both good standards.

Speaking as someone who learned Attic first, Homeric Greek just takes some getting used to.

But if you already have a good understanding of Attic, Homeric isn't that bad.

The only thing that is really different is that he doesn't really use definitive articles, and the words contract differently in some cases.

He also uses some older forms of words in the nominative case(such as γυναιξ, instead of γυνη, for woman for example).

There is a lot of variation between dialects, but you get things like the Ionic and Homeric eirêma, while the Doric, bônêma, and Attic, phônêma, are closer (with the consonant shift), so while you could read Doric from Attic easily in that case, it's harder to read Ionic.

since not all of Koine takes its cues from Attic (like dropping the extra g in "to know" in favour of the Ionic spelling) and references to Homer often retain the form, I'm a fan of Homer first. this could just be me justifying how I learnt it though.
and to be fair, most people aren't going to be reading Aristophanes or Lucian to see how close they got to a non-Attic dialect, so much as reading Plato taking about "rhea" within Attic forms as derived from "rheo". accents at random, I can't do Greek script right now

>mistaking koine for ancient attic

IIRC that Tallis tripfag claims to do.

He's a pleb, so I doubt

I'm sure there's a modernish text that does Homeric Greek (as in 60's or 70's). I did one of those beginner things yonks ago and it was all about ships and things. Can't really remember it tho.

I need to sort it out now desu, I'm starting to go into Heidegger in some depth and reading without Greek is a pita.

You need Attic more than Homeric for Heidegger. Or at least I remember more Plato to his shit than anything else, it could just be the lectures I read.

I'm sure he talks about Homer, but it is mostly Aristotle, Plato etc

I'm a bit tired so I'm just writing what comes to mind, I was just butting in before because I remember starting to learn A. Greek in an evening class that I'm sure went through the Homer epics. It definitely had vocab for ship stuff early on.

>implying there are no classics majors on this board