Any advice would be appreciated

Hi Veeky Forums

Not a regular on this board. Sometimes I lurk. Been a 4channer for some 8 years. Help a user out, if you can. I'm not Role playing or trolling.

In two days I have a meeting with a (former) senior vice president of a major publisher who is now a full time agent and publisher. He has lots of connections. I am meeting with him through a mutual friend with the intention of talking to him about becoming my personnel agent and him selling my on going novel.

I have a outline ready and some concept pieces for him. The outline is a basic chapter synopsis and a synopsis on where the novel is going. Hopefully he will be taking a look at my writing after the meeting is concluded. Anything that I should know going in please give me your solid advice. Thank you Veeky Forums. This is a big opportunity and I want to be prepared going in.

How did you get this meeting? What is the meeting about?

This isn't the sort of thing that happens often enough that there's any real advice we can give you.

Just think of it as a slightly less formal job interview, I guess. It might be a hard sell if all you have is an outline, unless your friend really has a lot of sway with this guy. When it comes to fiction, especially if you're unpublished, agents want a finished manuscript.

But again, the type of meeting you're describing isn't the normal process, so you might have a significantly better shot with less work done than someone going through the querying process would.

The former senior vice president becoming my agent and selling and publishing my novel. Perhaps getting me an advance to finish it. I got this meeting through a mutual friend who has wanted to introduce me to the publisher for over 5 months.

>It might be a hard sell if all you have is an outline,
I have 56,000 words. Not much but its more than a start.

>But again, the type of meeting you're describing isn't the normal process,
It is not normal at all. We are meeting at a another 4th party friends house. I suggested the meeting place after our mutual friend first suggested, my place of work, and then a restaurant. Finally i suggested the 4th partys house because they have a really great home, and garden and pool. My mutual friend has been arranging this for 5 months to happen.
My family owns a catering company and we will be serving food and chatting. its very very informal, yet its for a very serious purpose.

I know this does not happen often. Its literately falling into my lap. I doubt many people have ever had such a chance.

56k words is actually a lot. Most attempts at debut books 110k words or longer are instantly rejected because it's considered to be too much of a risk for publishers. You'll want to plan on editing whatever you have now to fit in the 80-100k word range.

>56k words is actually a lot. Most attempts at debut books 110k words or longer are instantly rejected because it's considered to be too much of a risk for publishers. You'll want to plan on editing whatever you have now to fit in the 80-100k word range.

That is good to hear. You see I do not know these this.

Chapter words go like this. Broken down into my 8 completed chapters.

1) (6,542 words)
2) (6,270 words)
3) (7,582 words)
4) (6,923 words)
5) (5,611 words)
6) (9,193 words)
7) (4,095 words)
8) (10,674 words)

What language is your book in? It doesn't sound like English is your first.

English.

It is 1:47 am here. Pls no bully is Veeky Forums
I have an editor who has been published. I swear I'm articulate.

This is important, because the things I said mostly apply to US publishing. I have no idea what it's like anywhere else.

I live in new york.

The publishing company the agent used to work for is one of the major 5 english language publishing firms.

I actually live there too.

self bump
glad to see the thread is not dead.

Have not bumped in 7 hours so nobody freak out.

will probably keep this thread up untill after tomorrows meeting. Ill let any lurkers know how it goes.

Lurking hard OP. Good luck

Good luck, OP. I'll say a prayer for you.

first post was suspicious, but the rest of this thread tends to make me believe op isn't a trolling sack of shit and might actually be telling the truth. if so, good luck and keep us posted. if not, i hope you get hit by a piece of a decommissioned weather satellite.

Thank you anons, will update.
Prayers are more than welcome.

No I'm serious. All Is well. Heres some email convo from today. Anyone who can guess who "eddie" is gets 5 points.

>mail.com

Witnessed. Fucking @mail.com masterrace checking in

I hope you'll update us on how it goes? I'm curious

>a user
>a outline
You editor will hate you.

page 8 rescue bump

This would definitely be the case 99% of the time, but if he's meeting this guy face to face because of a mutual friend who knows.

Just came back from meeting
Everything could not have gone better.

will let anons know what happened when I get back from work later around 11:00 pm

I have an editor, she does not hate me. All my chapters are perfectly edited.

Did he actually say he'd represent you or was he just vaguely positive about what you showed him?

congrats. interested to hear about the meeting. will be lurking.

respond bitch

bump

Here is how it went.

I really wish that I could unblock some of those names. Holy fucking shit you guys would not fucking believe it. Really don't want to risk someone fucking this up for me somehow though.

I am on my fucking way!
thank you all for your patience. I'm still around if anyone has any questions regarding anything.

do a thread when you get published

what kind of book will it be op?
it sounds like non-fiction.

So you guys can shit all over it?
I'd be honored
nothing is set in stone. Hopefully it will happen. Things are moving quick.

It is.
Fantasy.