Mfw a slow reader is trying to read next to me

>mfw a slow reader is trying to read next to me
Why bother?
You are never going to make it. You are always going to stay a pleb.
Do you agree?

I used to speedread.

but then i realised that i would rather actually enjoy my book

How do i get good at reading fast?

I don't know if this can be changed by practising a lot. maybe you can improve on it a bit.

read children's books

If you focus on reading quickly, you're too immature to be reading difficult texts.

But i'm a big boy.

Practice speed reading techniques on news articles

tfw I never read as a kid and now I'll forever be a 20 page an hour pleb. Not a very good feeling, man.

Not exactly a helpful or generous attitude, is it? Besides, if we go down that path, we may as well all stop reading because we can't read eighty books a day like Harold Bloom or simultaneously read Attic Greek with one eye, Latin with the other, and French Braille with our toes at the same time like all those dubious myths you hear about obscure American presidents or Renaissance Italians.

I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on Veeky Forums anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.

It really depends on the reading material, in a novel there's a lot of dialogue and descriptions that you can fly through without much problem.

Textbooks are a bit different, for me anyways. I can hardly sit down in a chair and read 80 pages of institutional theory completely spellbound and without taking a break

Fun fact: If you speedread literature you aren't reading literature, they ar ejust wanting to inflate their godoreads account and gain some internet cred

people here read 100+ books a year and don't have a concise opinion on any book, just parrot what they read on the internet

>-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

Maybe when you start. But once you know what you actually want to read, you don't need to do that anymore because you know what you dl will be someting you'll like

Kek im on 100+ books already this year and have started only reading longer books cos im already embarressed by how much I've read
>tfw putting Divine Comedy down as one book

Not even speedreading just been NEET all summer

reading a free book off the internet just isn't the same as reading a new physical book from a store

The median American reads 6 books a year. The average 15. Where do people get the impression that no one else reads? 75% of American adults read at least 1 book last year.

nah, if reading is all you do 100+ books, short books and plays I say, are really possible to read and appreciate

but I'm talking about the "he subvocalize" and "he read less than 100 pages per hour" guys

Libraries

Some of them are plays but i also read Ulysses, Man Without Qualities, Gravity's Rainbow, Portrait of a Lady etc
Of course 100 pages an hour isnt possible with these but a lot of stuff it is possible and you shouldnt discount that meme.

I read about 20 pages an hour when I finished 1984 recently, and that took me about 100 pages a day to finish.

I don't agree. I read fast enough, about average if not above average. Why would you not bother if you read slow? It's about understanding and retention, not speed. It's not a race.

It depends a lot on what I'm reading but I imagine myself to be slower than most people on this board. I have been reading History of the World by J M Roberts and if I know I'm going to be reading it on a given day then I always just read one chapter because it takes me 2-3 hours to get through 20-30 pages of it. It's about 1100 pages long.

I love reading and find it very enjoyable but sometimes I get the feeling I am doing something I am not supposed to do, like trying to walk against a strong current.

>100 pages per hour
Nicomacean ethics would like a word.

YA and erotica don't count.

Tell that to Bloom.

I honestly can't remember what he claims beyond that it has decreased significantly over the years and at one point was 500 pages an hour.

he claimed a thousand an hour, but only 60 these days.

>500 pages an hour
>8.33(r) pages per minute
>1 page every 7.22 seconds

Reflect on how long it took you to read to the end of this post.

0.13 seconds lad

>median reads 6
>average reads 15
What

>tfw too busy shit posting to read slow or fast

>I don't understand middle school math terms
Most Americans read close to 6, but some read far more than 15 so that it averages out to 15.

who cares as long as your'e enjoying the book

>When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.
tell that to the copy of Foucaults Pendulum that's been sitting on my desk for 3 years

For you

He was commenting on how remarkable the difference between the mean and the median are. Also, you don't understand what the data means. Median higher than mean = concentration lower than average.

>The "mean" is the "average" you're used to, where you add up all the numbers and then divide by the number of numbers. The "median" is the "middle" value in the list of numbers.

I read about 400 words a minute which seems to be about the average and still manage to read 60-80 books a year. There are times when I wish I could read faster but I'm not sure how much it would actually benefit me.

any book that can be read fast isn't worth reading. The pacing and prose alone is ruined when you don't read at the correct pace.

"""""""""""reading fast"""""""""""""
just means literally skipping over words, skipping over sentences, and sometimes skipping entire paragraphs deemed "unimportant." It means skipping flowery prose, exposition, setting detail, and skimming through pages to just get the plot

I have a friend who does this and she just flat out admits it. She'll read about over a hundred pages an hour. She read the Hunger games in a 3 hour car ride because she does this.

The difference? She doesn't have any genuinely favorite books and hardly remembers them. She doesn't understand anything about reading other than self insert protagonists and plots with happy endings

I don't think it matters that much unless you're a particularly slow reader. I'm faster than average but the real bottleneck is picking up a book often enough.

I mean, lets do some math: we want to read Crime and Punishment. Lets say there are about 200 000 words in it.
I read at about 450 words per minute (in English, my native language has longer words) and the average one at about 300.
It'll take me about 7,5 hours to finish and the average one about 11 hours.
Yes, it is not a difference to be ignored, but it still ain't that huge at the end of the day. About 1 week of casual reading should be plenty time for either, or a few days of more dedicated reading.

So do you literally just spend all of your time reading then?

One book a week is already 52 books a year. That is easy enough to achieve. Adding 8-28 books to that won't exactly require him to "literally spend all his time" reading.

Why are you even on Veeky Forums if reading every day seems crazy to you?