Why did he do it /mu/? why did he an Hemingway?

why did he do it /mu/? why did he an Hemingway?

Because he realized he wasted his life making second rate lit within a third rate medium

I think he probably felt he was a fraud.

he decided to stop taking his meds

what makes you say that?

cold turkey'ed his meds

“My whole life I've been a fraud. I'm not exaggerating. Pretty much all I've ever done all the time is try to create a certain impression of me in other people. Mostly to be liked or admired. It's a little more complicated than that, maybe. But when you come right down to it it's to be liked, loved. Admired, approved of, applauded, whatever. You get the idea.”

I've always felt this was the meat of what DFW was about really. The whole authenticity/sincerity problem.

This, basically. Turned on the faucet of extreme emotional anguish that had more to do with chemical imbalance in his brain than whatever he might have justified it as. He died from a sickness that compelled him to do a stupid thing, a condition I think should be viewed more often as how Ophiocordyceps unilateralis undermines an insect rather than a conscious act one can justify or blame him for.

ITT: writers who have Hemingwayed

>Hemingway
>Sylvia Plath
>Primo Levi
>Virginia Woolf
>Anne Sexton
>Heinrich von Kleist
>Hart Crane
>DFW
>Socrates (not a writer, but important Veeky Forumserary figure anyway)

Can you really put Socrates there? I get that his death was in some part voluntary but it seemed more out of principle than any kind of despair.

Lost a bet with Franzen

>but it seemed more out of principle than any kind of despair
Ah, you always learn something new on Veeky Forums. Before today, I didn't know you could only commit suicide out of despair.

Of course it was a suicide but one of a different character to all the others that you've listed. That's all I was saying.

Woah man, you're really smart. You just find all the holes! An incredible mind.

Add Mishima?

Okay...

calm down

Don't see anything wrong with slapping the raised hand of people who make a non-point thinking they're clever.

>Osamu Dazai
>John Kennedy Toole
man what is up with writers and sewer side

We don't know if Primo Levi's death was accidental or not, he may've just fell.

Socrates wasn't a writer, I don't care if you already mentioned that, he's not a writer.

You forgot Mishima.

projecting

Hey guys, Socrates wasn't a writer.

You clearly don't know what that means.
Also, that user was saying something almost as worthless as the fourth "Socrates wasn't a writer" post.

you're clearly upset by your insecure projecting

I did leave it as an open question. We could have had a nice little chat.

damn, you salty

saged

I'll just keep letting you use your new toy. You seem quite happy putting it up your ass, even though that's not what it's for.

How about Mishima?

>so used to asking /mu/ if he's allowed to like this or that music that he Freudian slips when asking Veeky Forums a question

Please an Hemingway. it's bcz he was a deeply disingenuous fake out artist and the Jest is on anyone who completes one of his novels.

>Hunter S. Thompson

what the fuck are you saying. you just threw out a bunch of nonsense based on your personal opinion.
I love how Veeky Forums posters try to make grand statements and think they're the smartest person to ever post.

i feel like a fraud every goddamn day of my life except when i'm not drinking. i think this is something most alcoholics/addicts can relate to. but that doesn't want to make me kill myself. i think too many people romanticize dfw's suicide with the woe is me i'm a fraud shit. truth of the matter though the guy was just a loon. he even took that electro shock therapy crap.

The need to be liked is a perfectly useful emotional tool for creating good art. Why do people disparage it?

Eduord Leve

Who knows man. Those thoughts could likely have been a part of what was tormenting him. I mean thoughts of being a 'fraud' are textbook depressed person thoughts.

I agree. It's like some people want to convince you that they'd still be producing art in a vacuum.

What is wrong with you

Garshin
Pavese as well I think

Because if that's all a person has then they become an irritating burden.

Imagine someone with no useful talent, redeeming personality traits or willingness to change.

Now imagine that person is principally, nay, entirely concerned with the way others treat them vis a vis how they are viewed by others?

You end up with a witless needy creature that can't tell it's own opinion from the opinion advocated by it's strongest peer group - it goes through it's life making decisions based on shallow populism, and eventually realizes that it has in this way "Democratized" it's own life, and willingly forfeited it's power of individual will for a slim chance at fitting in - after all, your peers constantly monitor you for consistency, and populists always go back on themselves when the wind changes.

I'm looking at all of you.

And how do you live YOUR life friend?

Dickhed

learn the apostrophe

All of this is ameliorate by trying to impress a select group of people whom you happen to admire in one way or another. Wanting to impress as many people as possible is a trap, but wanting to impress your contemporaries who in turn impress you is perfectly healthy.

This

He said he was tired

He couldn't think of a good finish to pale king and he knew only dead authors get unfinished books published.

Fucking tripfag logic

It's true though. The manner of his death has to be taken as a refutation of his work, or at least IJ. It's the ultimate failure of doctrine.

>mfw DFW could have lived if he had only watched Monogatari