How are the Greeks going?

How are the Greeks going?

I have finally finished the first book after a month. It's going slow but it's very fun.

Starting to read bibliotheca now.

Other urls found in this thread:

vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/4chanlit/images/1/19/1410622743798.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140913154542
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

do you have the pic without your scribbles? I decided to get my fix of more modern classics out of the way before the greeks, all I have downloaded is mythology.

>How are the Greeks going?
pretty good. just finished the Iliad, waiting on my other books to arrive in the mail.

this being said can anyone compare Mythology and Bibliotecha?

pretty good for me too.

i'm waiting on Republic to be delivered tomorrow, but i've made my way through 5 dialogues and a bunch of plays, and i'm reading the Cambridge Companion to Plato which is helpful and interesting. before, i just started out of a feeling of 'i have to do this to dig deeper into literature and philosophy' but now I'm liking it a lot.

Totally different. Hamilton intentionally makes her book easy to read, includes not just myths but very basic insights to Greek culture and values that they provide, and also cuts out a LOT of minor details and less interesting myths that will frankly make Apollodorus a real pain. He's only like 130 pages of actual text but he is so dry that the book is often terrible to get through.

With that said it is undeniably useful if you intend to read more fictional Greek content, drama especially.

PS the ride never ends. Get out while you can. I've been on "the Greeks" (i.e., the ancient world in general) for like 15 months and I'm nowhere near feeling like I've read enough.

>PS the ride never ends. Get out while you can. I've been on "the Greeks" (i.e., the ancient world in general) for like 15 months and I'm nowhere near feeling like I've read enough.

not OP but why not just read the important Greek texts instead of them all.
>inb4 they're all essential. From your experience how do you feel after reading soo much? do you feel you understand their point of view better? basically what have you gained after all that reading?

Because it's hard to know what the important ancient texts are without reading them first. In hindsight you can contextualize everything you've read and consider whether or not it was worth the time you spent on it, but that's impossible to decide before reading, without just taking someone's word for it. Obviously stuff like Homer is a no-brainer, but how do you decide which Platonic dialogues to skip? Which of Euripides' many plays? Maybe you read Thucydides, but do you try out Xenophon?

I definitely wouldn't say all the texts are essential, but almost everything you read will have at least some value to it, if only in reinforcing what you already know. Whether that's worth the opportunity cost of spending time to read it is a different question.

>how do you feel after reading soo much? do you feel you understand their point of view better? basically what have you gained after all that reading?

It's exhausting and daunting but satisfying. I've probably read more Roman history than I have any other single subject/genre from the ancient world, and find myself very easily making connections to it when reading histories from the modern world, and identifying common elements of humanity that go beyond the immediate circumstances of a specific historical event.

In short, it's fun, and definitely lays down a foundation for further reading and thought, just like it's supposed to do, by providing you with some of the earliest examples (history) or most stark portrayals (drama) or most basic investigations (philosophy) of human nature that will come up in absolutely every single other thing you read. How highly you value that ancient foundation is up to everyone to decide for himself. For all the time it's taken me, and will take me, I've had a blast and feel like I've learned and grown a lot.

thanks for your input good sir. I will keep it in mind when looking for the next ancient text i choose to read. I guess no time is wasted reading the genius of the ancients.

>m'big chart
Kys

Here you go

>Wanting to read less
>using kys
Pseudo.

>calling other people pseudo
>following a reading chart and telling others about it
>following a reading chart with a really shit philosophy section and poor choice of translations

faggot

>reading what you "feel like"
>not listening to other people with a lot more knowledge on the topic

Pseudo.

no based aristophanes

literally kys faggot

>a thread full of people all actively falling for this meme

also
>reading the shorter version of that book
>reading the shorter version the first book
>reading the shorter version of anything

I'm halfway through Plato's complete works, but I'm taking a break.

So you don't actually feel like reading the Greeks?

Why are you reading them then? To fit in on Veeky Forums?

>using pseudo
Cuck

If I make a better guide how do I get it on the wiki so there are options beyond these idiotic ones

there's already a good one for the greeks

it's big and blue

we're in need of a good one for romans though, the currant one is incomplete

Yeah I just found that one. It's better but is still shaky or altogether lacking on anything Hellenistic forward for either literature or philosophy.

I don't even see a Roman one

which blue one do you mean? this one?

I thought he meant this one, the second of the three available under Greece on the Lit by origin sorting scheme.

>vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/4chanlit/images/1/19/1410622743798.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140913154542

does that look blue to you?

nah, pic related

well pic related does have Menander at least for hellenistic times

A few of the romances could be added

Polybius should be added

Epicurus should be added

but aside from that it's the best we have

woops didn't add the pic

For Hellenistic it's missing Apollonius' Argonautica, Callimachus, Theocritus, and any anthology of the minor ones like Moschus and Bion. All of those are of much greater interest to classicists and arguably also to generalists than Menander and Theophrastus since they introduce Bucolic and mark the shift toward smallscale epic that becomes so influential from the Renaissance to Milton and forward.

Admittedly there's less of general interest in Imperial if you have the philosophers covered elsewhere but at the very least there should be Lucian and Longus, the latter if only for his influence on Goethe and the Romantics.

Bretty güd, I'm finishing up the greeks and transitioning into the romans.

>Trusting that anonymous memester's on the internet know more about something than you and trusting that that chart isn't satire.
Are you twelve years old.

i just read anything greeks related whenever i can
post-greeks philosophy is just footnotes and memes
prove me wrong: you cant

you could be reading a greek right now but you're reading my comment

really made me think

What do the different colors mean?