Is sport a stylization of war?

Is sport a stylization of war?

Other urls found in this thread:

xroads.virginia.edu/~hyper/veblen/chap10.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Anything athletic ultimately is about attracting the opposite sex.

In fact, most things that humans do apart from eating, shitting or pissing and cleaning our bodies is about attracting the opposite sex(and even those things I mentioned in some degenerate circles).

t. Woman

Liking women is for plebs mane, read Symposium

>not having a goal in life

Sure, but that goal is ultimately to reproduce, and everything else is commentary to that, whether you believe it or not.

For someone that frequents a website filled with people on the autistic spectrum you should realise how wrong this thinking is.

>having a goal in life

I don't think it's wrong at all.

I think people are just very good at rationalizing their behavior.

I mean, I don't think women put on make-up to look more pretty, or men go to the gym to get bigger muscles is really about whatever they say out loud, I think it's about them wanting to get more attention from the opposite sex, and the same can be said about being successful at anything in life.

You really think artists put in decades of work in perfecting their craft to get some pussy?

>get some pussy

Not any kind of pussy. A specific kind of pussy. The pussy that they know will pump out children with great genetics.

I don't believe it, since I know many artists and I'm one myself, but it could be sub-conscious

>but it could be sub-conscious

I don't even think it is sub-conscious, I just think people rationalize to themselves some other reason for their urge to become successful.

>I think people are just very good at rationalizing their behavior.
The lack of self awareness is overwhelming.

What do you think I'm rationalizing exactly?

This would make sense considering any other animal, but the human is an anomaly in the animal kingdom because, although evolution has given us an advanced range of skills to be able to finally reproduce, humans throughout the ages have created “games” (art, philosophy, sciences) for the better understanding and utilization of those skills we've been fashioned with, and many of the most skillful players of these games have in part or wholly diminished their appetite for sexual gratification insofar as they are players of the game.

Yeah, but art, philosophy and science can be argued is just the peacock feathers of human beings, the same way large muscles or make-up is.

The fact that it is more profound or relates to our intelligence, doesn't change what it's real goal is.

>real goal
I see a similar psychology with my two (female) cats; Instead of competing for sex they compete for my attention and gratitude, for example my one cat had much more attention from me because she meows and so the other one began meowing (she was mute previously) to get my attention. This is not much different from a human ignoring their sexual drive for the gratification of a higher being or intellect.

Pretty sure they just want your attention because you give them food.

Read Veblens "The Theory of the Leisure Class", he talks about sports being an economic side effect of conspicuous leisure

xroads.virginia.edu/~hyper/veblen/chap10.html

>These manifestations of the predatory temperament are all to be classed under the head of exploit. They are partly simple and unreflected expressions of an attitude of emulative ferocity, partly activities deliberately entered upon with a view to gaining repute for prowess. Sports of all kinds are of the same general character, including prize-fights, bull-fights, athletics, shooting, angling, yachting, and games of skill, even where the element of destructive physical efficiency is not an obtrusive feature. Sports shade off from the basis of hostile combat, through skill, to cunning and chicanery, without its being possible to draw a line at any point. The ground of an addiction to sports is an archaic spiritual constitution -- the possession of the predatory emulative propensity in a relatively high potency, A strong proclivity to adventuresome exploit and to the infliction of damage is especially pronounced in those employments which are in colloquial usage specifically called sportsmanship.

>It is perhaps truer, or at least more evident, as regards sports than as regards the other expressions of predatory emulation already spoken of, that the temperament which inclines men to them is essentially a boyish temperament. The addiction to sports, therefore, in a peculiar degree marks an arrested development of the man's moral nature. This peculiar boyishness of temperament in sporting men immediately becomes apparent when attention is directed to the large element of make-believe that is present in all sporting activity. Sports share this character of make-believe with the games and exploits to which children, especially boys, are habitually inclined. Make-believe does not enter in the same proportion into all sports, but it is present in a very appreciable degree in all. It is apparently present in a larger measure in sportsmanship proper and in athletic contests than in set games of skill of a more sedentary character; although this rule may not be found to apply with any great uniformity. It is noticeable, for instance, that even very mild-mannered and matter-of-fact men who go out shooting are apt to carry an excess of arms and accoutrements in order to impress upon their own imagination the seriousness of their undertaking. These huntsmen are also prone to a histrionic, prancing gait and to an elaborate exaggeration of the motions, whether of stealth or of onslaught, involved in their deeds of exploit. Similarly in athletic sports there is almost invariably present a good share of rant and swagger and ostensible mystification -- features which mark the histrionic nature of these employments. In all this, of course, the reminder of boyish make-believe is plain enough. The slang of athletics, by the way, is in great part made up of extremely sanguinary locutions borrowed from the terminology of warfare. Except where it is adopted as a necessary means of secret communication, the use of a special slang in any employment is probably to be accepted as evidence that the occupation in question is substantially make-believe.

It's the safest way for the luxurious to engage in the primitive will to predation.

I gotchu senpai

Maybe it's time to cool off pal. Make a good meal, throw on Fight Club or hell, get a ticket to Suicide Squad. Just relax.

test

i think it's an exaltation of war. it steps above the baseness of death and sublimates the spirit of strife into a joyful activity

now that i think about, sport is like life exalting itself. it is play

not really because we've invented a much more efficient method than peacocking, namely rape

I think he might be saying that because you yourself can't seem to escape the idea of doing anything other than for sex you've projected your own discomfort onto the ENTIRETY of humanity past and present.

Also, wasn't there an experiment done with rats where they rejected sex in favour of some available drug. I think that should make you consider introducing a bit leeway into your opinion on some level.

HUIZINGA