I love Poe and Lovecraft...

I love Poe and Lovecraft. I know they aren't the best writers ever but reading their works is super comfy and it is my secret pleasure. I read quite a lot of books but no other authors set a similar mood. Maybe Tolkien. What are some similar authors to pic related? I tried reading Algernon Blackwood's short stories and Ligotti but they are not quite the same.

Arthur Machen, maybe Ambrose Bierce, George MacDonald.

Oh thanks, I recall reading Great God Pan and enjoying it quite a bit so I believe the other two are good as well.

Algernon blackwood proto English Lovecraft.

You can find all his shit on line for free you're welcome

They all have quite a comfy "We're educated men who spend a lot of time outdoors because it's still the 1700s, also there's magic" feel that you get from some of the others.

Never heard of that guy, thanks user!

I recommend his short story "the willows" to start

That description is reallly accurate. I love H.D.Thoreau, he fits the educated, outdoor, 1700s psrt at least. You might enjoy it.

I think might just be ironic as I listed Algernon Blackwood in the OP. The Willows is great tho.

E. T. A. is a very famous author of German Romaticism that wrote a lot of fantastic/horror novels and stories. In a way, he is quite similar to Poe. I believe "The Sandman" is his most popular tale in this genre.

Also, I just read Leo Perutz’ "The Master of the Day of Judgement", which has a really good atmosphere. The payoff might be a bit disappointing for you, but it’s a short book; I definitely recommend reading it.

Clark Ashton Smith
Lord Dunsany
Robert E. Howard

Jorge Luis Borges
Robert W. Chambers' King in Yellow.
Also Wilde's House of Pomegranetes (Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos is a Poe knock-off and his Dream Cycle is a Wilde knock-off)

Have you tried M.R. James?
Spooky ghost stories, usually told from the POV of scholars or antiquarians.

Thanks a lot, all of these sound interesting and many were put on my to-read shelf, really appreciate it

I enjoyed king in yellow, totally forgot about it. It's funny how I always wanted to read it in my native language and could never find it until the True Detective edition came out. The mention of the series on the back cover still pisses me off but I am glad I have it.
Really looking forward to Wilde's stories if they really inspired the Dream Cycle as I love Unknown Kadath.
How is the Cthulhu cycle a Poe knock-off? I don't recall a short story with a similar plot or emotions. Poe's stories are more personal about the main character and his transofrmation whereas Cthulhu mythos are more about cosmicism and a uncovering some horrific truths that make the main character crazy.

Yeah, I had a few paragraphs of his essay 'Walking' memorised.
If you want to go further back, you might try Novalis although that's starting to be stylistically disconnected in terms of chronology.

I recommend Charles Bukowski.

Not the same user but much of Lovecraft's work basically apes Poe. Especially Lovecraft's earlier stuff like The Alchemist. He did come into his own with the Cthulu stuff, Dagon, and the Dunwich Horror.

Lovecraft even says that he emulates Poe in much of his work.

Yeah, that's how I see it, the other user said Cthulhu Cycle was inspired by him which is the Dagon, Innsmouth, Dunwich and stories like where he, as you said, came into his own and I don't see many similarities between these works and poe. But the other stories sure, he wasn't trying to hide it on his own, as you said, and I am not trying to make him look more original or anything

No, even the Cthulu stories are heavily influenced by Poe. It's ok that a writer is so deeply influenced by another, especially if it's a continuation of seminal works. Don't fight it, user.

From Lovecraft, “When I write stories, Edgar Allan Poe is my model.”

“Since Poe affected me most of all horror-writers, I can never feel that a tale starts out right unless it has something of his manner."

If you're not getting a very similar feeling in atmosphere and prose you haven't read enough of Poe or Lovecraft.

I 100% see the similarities in their prose, atmosphere and how they build up tension, I just think the subject of their short stories diverged more with time that Lovecraft wrote.
Poe was more oriented at horrors of mind and how they influence the outside world and Lovecraft is more about how outside horrors influence the mind and characters. That's just a main difference I think is worth mentioning.

My fave weird fiction.

William Hope Hodgson - The House on the Borderland
Robert Aickman - Cold Hand in Mine
Thomas Ligotti - Songs of a Dead Dreamer & Grimscribe

There's an anthology titled Poe, edited by Ellen Datlow, has some really good stories in it. John Langan's "Technicolor" (literally about Poe's "masque of the red death") is a masterpiece.

Most of the above recommendations you've probably heard before. If you're looking for something different try;
Fritz Leiber - Our Lady Of Darkness
Jeffrey Ford - Physiognomy
Marcel Schwob - Imaginary Lives
T.E.D. Klein - The Ceremonies
Bernard Noël - The Castle of Communion
Ira Levin - Rosemary's Baby
M.R. James - Ghost Stories of an Antiquary
Alfred Kubin - The Other Side

All are top shelf comfy horror

thirding Ambrose Bierce.

Bradbury's pretty comfy but not in an antique or horror way. his stuff is pretty "twilight zone" though. try The Illustrated Man.

Veeky Forums darling Borges is the master of weird fiction but his style is not really comfy at all. I do greatly enjoy him for him, though.