Should I attempt to write fiction in English even if it is not my first language?

Should I attempt to write fiction in English even if it is not my first language?
I know that some people have done it before, but I find it hard to write anything readable - comments regarding my writing often point out that due to the awkwardness in my phrasing it is obvious that English is not my native language and I assume awkward phrasing is not a pleasing thing to read.

Hahaha you're a foriegner get walled bich

You could give it a go and then help a literate native speaker edit it for you. But I don't understand why wou wouldn't write it in your own tongue first.

Why the fuck are you asking anyone if you should attempt to write fiction? Just do it. Everyone sucks when they start out and there are plenty of non English speakers who write brilliantly. What the fuck do you want to hear?

You'll be fine, OP. I've had no trouble transitioning from Spanish to English. Switching things up, and being 'limited' by your your original language, sometimes creates some interesting stylistic results.

That's how you learn a language hermano. Trust me, after writing an entire fiction book, you ought to develop a mastery with english. Of course, you need to supplant it with actual conversation.

This sloppy post should encourage OP to stick to his native tongue. Honestly, unless your native tongue is Pashto or something equally obscure, I don't see why you would not write in your native tongue.

Your English seems fine here. Some of the more interesting and acclaimed fiction comes from people who learned English as a second or even third language, or is translated to English. It adds a foreign flavour to the text that makes it a unique read. And if it is really that bad, you can get an editor or some friends to read it over and smooth it out.

>I don't see why you would not write in your native tongue

It's more of a learning thing. I'd be bored if I limited myself to solely writing in Spanish.

this chick is so fucking hot
post more
I need to masturbate

Felicity Jones, m8. She's a pretty popular actress. Good taste btw.

Thank you. She's hot as fuck.

Based on what I can tell from your post, your English seems excellent. Awkward phrasing is probably really rare for you, and the few times you were accused of it were probably due either to bad luck, or to bad judgment on your critic's part.

I don't see what's sloppy about that post.

He's probably complaining about the start of the second sentence, where the poster is being colloquial and using a comma to emulate the way you might speak.
There's no real complaint. He just jumped on someone being colloquial because he's a sad user.

Looks like she had a stroke.

Okay, well, Nabokov spoke English from his early childhood so ease up there kiddo

Conrad was Polish and learned English, the language he wrote in, as an adult. That's a better point of comparison. And it shows, too, Conrad is not half as good as Nabokov. I would say that he's not good at all, but obviously many would disagree. Just don't let the idea of Nabokov get your hopes up.

You´re nuts.
She must be the most beautiful woman alive.

That's a much better picture but there are a number of more beautiful ones.

>Nabokov spoke English from his early childhood
not sure about that, but he was sent to Cambridge at 19y/o

I've never studied English literature or something like that, but I've been reading different genres from different times for the past 3 years. I've been wanting to write something but so far I've only expressed myself in roleplay forums. It's a fine practice.

#
His parents got him the best tutors they could and he was practically fluent in French and English by age 6.

#
>I've only expressed myself in roleplay forums. It's a fine practice.

This so much. My writing has improved exponentially since I started writing film reviews on Letterboxd. The time and effort l've sunk into shit nobody else cares about is borderline autistic, but it's one of my favorite ways to unwind and shut everything else out.

Of course, writing fiction is different, but I've been too intimidated to actually give it a go.

English is a very easy language.

Conrad learned it with 20 and his work is revered enough

You'll be the next Tommy Wiseau.