>current book you're reading, and how do you like it

>23
>Orlando
>book of disquiet by pessoa
It's decent so far, like 15% through it

>20
>NJ
>IJ
its good. ardous, though. need to finish it before summer is over.

>28
> Colorado
> Foucalt's Pendulum. It's funny within the first 10 pages, so that's a good sign.

>18
>San Antonio
>Moby Dick
I like it, but I can't help feeling that Ishmael and Queequeg are gonna fuck.

>20
>vienna
>hologram for the king, better than expected.

keep at it. It becomes insanely good later on imo.

>no asking about gender
As a woman I feel very oppressed by this thread.

as an agender i feel oppressed by your being upset about this thread.

as someone who has been on the internet for 5 minutes, I think that this joke is old and sucks and you should both stop thinking you are funny.

>23
>Indiana
>Invisible Cities
I'm loving it. I could have just done it in one sitting, but I'm purposely prolonging the experience. Also reading the NYRB collection of Max Beerbohm's essays, and I'm enjoying those quite a bit.

My diary

>22
>Boston
>The Pale King

It's OK. I understand all of the tax references, which is nice.

>20
>Tokyo
>Infinite Jest

I hate it. It's a book written for masochists. I can't help but feeling I was thoroughly memed when I discovered it on Veeky Forums as a must-read.

>be me
>18
>FL
>been reading "The beautiful and damned"
>on page 140
>getting bored
>"this book is so tedious, where is it even going?"
>don't even like MCs that much
>light bulb appears over head
>realize book is social satire
>I'd been reading it wrong the whole time
>entire meaning changes
>mfw

>19
>AL
>Inherent Vice
It's pretty good. Not as complicated as I was expecting from my first Pinecone novel. My stoner girlfriend would probably like it a lot more cuz DUDE WEED LMAO

>24
>Spain
>Independent People,The republic

IP is fucking great so far; the Republic is great too in small doses.

>22
>Mexico City
>Richard III

I'm loving it, but I will definitely reread it in the next couple of months. I want to learn by hearr Richard's first soliloquy.

>24
>Southern Virginia
>Gore Vidal's Julian. Enjoying it very much but I'm so excited for Alan Moore's Jerusalem to drop next month that I can't focus as well as I might.

>22
>Vancouver, BC
>Dune (I like it!)

>19
>boston
>the sound and the fury
pretty cool so far, im a bit into quentin's section. benjy's section was awesome

Canada
Beyond Good and Evil

It's intentionally incomprehensible garbage; I suspect Nietzsche of being a narcissist more interested in looking smart than being smart.

thats the way to read it, don't plow through everyone, savour it

Or you lack the experience to comprehend what he has written.

That's his issue as much as it is mine.

Frankly he reminds me of a corporate executive who speaks in buzzwords and jargon as opposed to actual language. His writing is a distraction to pull you away from meaning, not an aid towards meaning.

I bet he liked to brag to other people about his books.

>23
>Monterrey, Mexico
>Guards!Guards! by Pratchett

Now I understand why people usually recommend this one as Discworld's intro. Humor is pretty immediate and the changes in perspective are not jarring.

Many of Nietchze's works were unpublished. Following his suicide, his sister release many of his manuscripts periodically.

Given how he killed himself instead of bragging about his works, I wouldn't believe that to be the case.

Oh I guess I'm wrong then

Is TS&TF really that good? My first exposure to Faulkner was The Unvanquished and that shit got so boring so fast. It seems like TS&TF, Absalom! Absalom! and As I Lay Dying have more interesting metatextual composition I'd probably appreciate more.

>19
>Ithaca, New York
>The Tunnel. It's pretty good so far, far better than In The Heart Of The Heart

>21
>Vegas
>Brothers K

S'good.

Bloomington IN
Infinite Jest (it's bretty gud... page 150 so far)

>18
>Buenos Aires
>The One-Dimensional Man

I wanted an introduction to the Frankfurt School and I think I got what I was looking for.

>22
>Washington
>Neuromancer
It's pretty good so far, very raw and imaginative.

>Neuromancer

Great book.

ATX
Notes from Underground

Pretty good but I'm only like 10 pages in. I've got nasty social anxiety and was a shut in for about 2 years so the narrator has been pretty relatable.

>18
>Brisbane
>Frankenstein

Enjoying it quite a bit so far.

If I belonged there I'd be there.

>25
>Brisbane, AU
>Teattro Grotesco by Tomas Ligotti

He writes better than Lovecraft in general but when he fucks up he fucks it all up. You start to get immersed and then he slaps you across the face with his cock in the shape of a sentence so confoundingly out of step and misguided in every possible way that you have to wonder if that was what he intended half the time. He often nails the ol' Lovecraft final sentence though, it's just a shame that you have to trudge through his goth thesaurus to get there.

Does anyone know of any good fantasy or sci fi written by a normie? Autists can't write properly.

Lancaster,Ca
The Farm by Clarence Cooper Jr and
The House of Hunger by Dambudzo Marechera

The Farm is one of the most interesting books I read this year. The style is strange yet meaningful. The first 20 pages of this novel reads like a black Burroughs.

The House of Hunger is the most meaningful Beat written by an African. He is like schizo Henry Miller.

Same but 21

>29
>Germany
>"one of us" a tale about the Terrorist Anders Breivik

Its interesting, but the autor tends to imply many factual wrong things like that Breivik was a loser because he couldn't adapt to the rise of Women in Business and politics.

And its very confusing that she intersplices many chapters about an iraky family between the chapters of Breiviks youth. 100 pages in and i still dont know which role they are supposed to play in the whole mess.

As a man i feel oppressed that you want to nosedive the threads quality by forcing a gender discussion.

ayy Brisbane here too

Foundation trilogy is a pretty easy read if you haven't read that yet

>age
>location
brisbane
>current book you're reading, and how do you like it
Reading:
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - pretty comfy-tier reading, mostly read it on work breaks or on public transport

History of Western Philosophy, Bertrand Russel - Haven't started this yet, just bought it today but looking forward to it

After i finish Huckleberry, going to start reading Book of the New Sun which i am looking forward to

>22
>Wisconsin
>Ashtavraka Gita
I much prefer it over Avadhuta Gita as a dissertation on Advaita philosophy.

>Just turned 20
>Bay Area, CA
>The Land Where the Blues Began

>20
>Lundun
>Paradiso, Story of Art, Tristram Shandy

All based af in diff ways

>20
>Toronto, Ontario
>The Recognitions

The prose is spectacular. A1, bar none.

>23
>Albury, Vic AU
>Roadside Picnic

I like it. Just finished generals die in bed and it was written well. Im happy i wasnt alive during WW1.

>19
>Poland
>The World as Will and Representation

Holidays are coming to an end - it is only a week left, and after all that inexplicable and absurd turmoil, external and internal, I find Schopenhauer oddly satisfying and fascinating, his lucid prose, his reasoning is really turning my autism on, I love to open my window widely, listen to outdoor voices, smoke a big zoot and then read Schoppy.

>24
>Paris
>Paradise Lost

> 34
> NSW, Australia
> Samuel Beckett Complete Dramatic Works

>23
>Vancouver, BC
>The Gunslinger

It's shit.

>21
>Concepción, Chile
>Women, by Charles Bukowski. Really liking it. It gets a little tiring thematically, but Bukowski has a very engaging style of writing.

>21
>USA
>IJ
I can't stand it, everything lacks charm, and I'm overwhelmed by not giving a shit about anything im reading.
It's like the anti-gravity's rainbow. Pynchon writes about a pie fight in a balloon and i find it engrossing and funny. DFW writes about Quebecois wheelchair assassins, and all i can think is of how hard he's trying. I'm gonna drop it i think.

>21
>shithole named Sudan
>A Thousand Plateaus: Capitalism and Schizophrenia (pirated pdf)

>23
>Hungary
>Lolita
>kek nymph fucker artistic prowess 10/10

>20
>America
>Bambi
>It's really good. I quite enjoy it. I am surprised by how accurate the Disney adaptation one. There are many changes (less xenofiction-y, Bambi and Faline aren't cousins, Faline doesn't have a brother, etc) but it's more accurate than their usual fair.

>20
>Virginia
>The Setting Sun
good but I like the other stuff I've read by Dazai better

>23
>Poland
>The Valley of Fear

Average so far, short stories work better for Doyle.

>23
>Perth, AU
>Blood Meridian

Garbage.

>26
>Australia
>Blood Meridian
I got memed hard. And the Ass saw the Angel is superior southern Gothic.

>21
>Perth
>women in love

only 15 pages in, writing seems off compared to lcl

B A L G A
A
L
G
A

>20
>Melbourne, Aus
>1984
Up to the final "part" of the novel. Its been quite an enjoyable read but its not GOAT like i was led to believe. Very much a good entry level novel.

>24
>UK
>The Goetia, or "The Lesser Key Of Solomon The King"

It's mostly cooky mystical bullshit, but it's a powerful influence on artistic depictions of the occult, and provides an entertaining insight into medieval and modern occultism.

Overall I give one thumb pointed upwards.

>20
>Montreal
>Dickens, Great expectations
Fucking so dry after 2-4 page long descriptions of random kitchens and random objects. Story it self is fine I suppose, slower then I'd like (just got off A Tale of 2 cities).

Tbh I really feel like dropping it and beginning All of Joyce starting with portrait>Dubliniers>Ulysses>fw

Scotland
Crime and Punishment

>22
>Midwestern US
>The First World War: Germany and Austria-Hungary 1914-1918 by Herwig
It's pretty great so far, very interesting look at the Central Powers' conduct of the war.

>8425800
Forgot to opine: The style is too eccentric but it is okay

pleb

Virginia bro!

There are a lot more Canadians here than I would have guessed. Isn't August the only month where you get sunlight? Go outside, jeez.

>24
>Cali
>Dubliners

'Tis great so far.

Cali
Crime and Punishment
last 100 pages, I'm enjoying the ride

>19
>Northern California
>The Trial
Just started, it's funnier than I was expecting.

Poland
Ja Inkwizytor Bicz Boży

Are we all just waking up at the same time? Ha ha.

Yeah I'm still in bed.lmao

the tunnel by sabato?

lmao same

Ohio

The Inner Game of Tennis is good

>20
>Orlando
>The Trial
I've really been loving it, about halfway through now

Off topic but I've got Anna Karenina, C&P, and Nausea lined up next. Which one should I read next?

Scotland
The Crying of Lot 49. It's actually my second attempt to read it and I'm enjoying it this time, first Pynchon too. Got less than a quarter through it on first attempt about two thirds through tempted to do V after it.

>19
>Spain
>Slaughterhosue Five

Don't know

>20
>Buenos Aires
>Robots and Empire: initially it was a bit boring but i kept reading and now its not that bad. Was boring because I have already read the previous books that are pretty big and was yet another gigantic book, like nothing new. I think its getting better.

The Tunnel by William H Gass.

Berkeley, CA
Molloy, Mallone Dies, The Unnameble (Beckett's Trilogy)
It's pretty good if I'm honest

>25
>Korea
Reading Camus' La Peste and Soseki's Kokoro. Both are really good, but I think I may stop Camus for a bit and focus on kokoro due to sensei's basedness

>22 in two weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>north carolina
>nadja by andre breton
it's actually fantastic. the use of photos is well done and makes it a pretty light read. i'm going to finish it tonight

>19
>Munich
>The Magic Mountain: i can't believe i've written off Mann as a bourgeois bore for so long, it's brilliant.

>20
>Texas
>Perfume by Patrick Suskind
Seems neat. Got it for Christmas from my Mom. She wants to talk about the book when I'm done. I figured I read too much nonfiction and I got burnt out. So now I'm reading fiction to get me interested in reading again.

It was, I read Schoolgirl in between them though and liked that a lot

>22
>DC
>Nothing

I'm thinking about which book to read next, and I'm leaning with Brave New World. It's been about three weeks since I've last read anything. My life is a mess right now.

>24
>Stockholm
>the Trial

Just finished it and I'm a bit confused what the overall message of the book is. First I thought the book was about power hierarchy between people and it's manifestations but as I finished the book I feel like the message was something else that I can't pinpoint.

Yeah it's this one

Nice dude, fantastic book(s). The Unnamable blew my mind when I read it
Do you go to UCB or are you just a resident of the town?