Get on waitlist for Modernism and literature course

>get on waitlist for Modernism and literature course
>3 person in line
>got a seat in the class earlier today
>pumped
>check rate my professor
>pic related

How much stock do you guys put into RMP?

I took a philosophy class last semester and the prof had a lower score than the modernism professor. Ended up getting a B+ in that class so maybe it's not as bad as it sounds.

people*

I should probably eat lunch or something

if you're not a pseud it doesnt matter how good/bad the prof is you'll be fine

if you're a pseud you'll get exposed by the good profs, or you'll get angry at bad profs for other reasons

so dont be a pseud

Are the reviews unanimously bad, or is it just this one? Sometimes people get a chip on their shoulder and give shitty reviews because they got a C

why even look at the site. take the class amd decide.for yourself whether the prof was good

>UT Austin

Why is Veeky Forums filled with plebs

What's wrong with UT? It's usually at least top 50.

explain pls

Unanimous

It's a good school m8

>mfw non-Ivies discuss their "super selective" state schools in front of me

kek

t. someone who's probably not Ivy

I go to Cornell and it's a shithole

If he's the only professor for that course, nothing you can do.
If he's not, just sit in on the other lectures (assuming the syllabus is the same).

if you're not a pseud you can navigate any course regardless of "personal differences" between you and the prof

if you're a pseud you'll view the prof BTFOing as indicative of his inability to teach, but you're wrong cause you're the pseud

If you have a choice while signing up for classes, it's nice to see what you're getting into and who you're getting into it with.

what if you never get BTFO'd and end up with an A but the professor was a dumb bitch who only assigned shitty african lit in a "world lit" course

It isn't about "personal differences." The professor in the OP supposedly just does a stream of consciousness lecture which is usually time inefficient, hard to follow, and poorly presented. Yeah you can talk about how pseuds just can't separate relevant information from the irrelevant information, but it's still an inefficient way of learning about something.

You can't even write a single line with proper grammar and punctuation, yet you deem yourself fit to give advice and people here even care about what you say.

You people are pathetic and your degrees are worthless. Honestly, how can you study literature and not use punctuation.

Judging a course by the grade you got instead of what you learned and how it helped you develop yourself is just sad. You would probably just buy your degree/grades if you could.
Just go and do manual labor or be a neet.

>user posts about a course he's excited to take
>professor has bad ratings
>mentions how a professor that was rated lower gave him a decent grade

How does any of that add up to "user wants to buy his degree"? You're a dingus. OP is clearly considering the class despite the risk to his GPA. He even risked his GPA for a class last semester and did fine.

how's unemployment treating ya buddy?

you can still learn something from it

depends on what you're trying to learn desu

the point is you shouldn't put too much stock in RMP

He judged the quality of what he was taught by the grade he got, meaning he values his grades more than his knowledge and the only reason why you would do this is because you care about getting the a degree with good grades more than about learning something.
And I never said he wants to do it but that he would do it, if possible. (again, because he cares about the degree more than he cares about what he learns).

I'm getting a liberal arts degree. If I cared more about my degree than what I learned I wouldn't be majoring in liberal arts.

I got into Wharton but bailed to go to a dudebro liberal arts school in SoCal where I could smoke dank weed and write poetry all day.

I honestly hope you are not a native speaker, your English is a joke and so is your punctuation and grammar.

Nice comma splice shitlord.

lmfao BTFO

how will this faggot every recover?

guarantee you are an asian gunner. kys, you've ruined elite american colleges

this is the prof's bio:

After helping introduce cultural studies into the field of English literature in the late 1980s and early '90s, with a widely noted article in PMLA and the book Flowers in the Dustbin: Culture, Anarchy, & Postwar England, Neil Nehring has worked primarily in popular music studies, publishing a book that is actually more widely known than the first, Popular Music, Gender, & Postmodernism, and articles on politics, aesthetics, and music. The English department doesn't approve of this sort of thing, unfortunately.

>How much stock do you guys put into RMP?

None. The majority of students who use that site are girls leaving high marks for attractive male professors; or those like your screencap who are butthurt they got a 69.8% in the course because the prof wouldn't round their last percent up since they always showed up late and didn't do the readings.

>Cornell
>Ivy

When will this meme end?

>spend thousands of dollars on a college course
>but don't bother researching if it's worth your while
nigger what
I read 10 fucking reviews before I buy shit worth $20 on Amazon, of course you should take ratings into account before you take a class.

>taking a fucking class on literature
>when you could just read some books and think

It doesn't matter OP. I'd suggest taking the course if you feel you've too much money.

You know better than to post bait this terrible

Unless you've never taken a college course before. If that's the situation, then you just don't understand the difference between the two.

I am being quite serious, I've made the mistake of taking said courses. Their only value is premised in personal indolence coupled with the fetishism of authority.

One could learn more and better through personal rigor and the companionship of the internet.

>what are credits

Uh

It's in the league
Don't really know what else you're possibly referencing

>muh 80,000$ piece of paper

He's implying that it's one of the lower-tier Ivies that moderately intelligent people can get into. Not a Harvard (geniuses only)

no-one wants to learn
they want to be taught
>t. confucthis

>taking humanities in college
kek, you deserve it

Fair enough

Harvard is harder to get into and I didn't get in there, but the rest of the Ivies I did, and just chose Cornell because it represented the best in terms of overall academic spirit as well as prestige in the topic I wanted to pursue (CS)

>newest and largest school in the ivy league
>highest acceptance rate
>lowest average test scores and gpa
>state funded schools with lower standards for admission
>higher contingent of international kids who can't even speak English fluently
>alumni usually say they went to "an ivy league" instead of saying they went to Cornell

My uni does online evaluations and I once made the mistake of sending out final semester grades before the end of the evaluation period. Oh, the assblast I got on one of them.

pynchon went there. thats good enough for me

>>lowest average test scores and gpa
as if this means shit considering how most ivy schools inflate the fuck out of grades

if anything it's a testament to Cornell's legitimacy

Talking about admission standards. Also, Cornell's grade deflation is way overblown. Even Penn is a much more rigorous school if you look at average GPAs. Also Cornell is grossly preprofessional with a hotel school, undergraduate "applied economics and management program", and an industrial labor relations school.

This, Harvard is inflated as fuck in terms of grades and it's a huge problem for the school actually

Ok

>newest and largest
These mean very little

>highest acceptance rate
Fair enough, but 1. this really also doesn't mean shit because most high-profile Ivies have a ton of people just sending apps in despite no qualifications just for shits and giggles and 2. UC Berkeley and a few other schools with a pedigree have a higher acceptance rate and there's really no reason to turn your nose up at those either

The rest of your points are either based on anecdotal evidence, true of many other schools of high caliber, or just irrelevant

well I know someone who went to Cornell and he said the tests were so ridiculous unfair and hard that everyone in the class got an average score of 35 with his grade coming in at 40 out of 100. Some Cornell classes jam pack their tests with near impossible questions so that the majority of students fail or barely pass.

How hard is it to get into an Ivy League school (including "lower tier Ivies" )compared to the best schools in Canada? Does anyone know?

I've heard people call UofT, UBC, and McGill "Canadian Ivies" but I don't think anyone seriously thinks that.

Depends. Are you black, brown, or female?

Average GPA is really not an indicator of anything and it's certainly not really a way to determine either rigor or the capabilities of the average student at a school

e.g. Harvey Mudd has had only about 7 4.0s in its whole history, but this does not mean the average student there is stupid or that the classes are insanely hard because then you're just making causality of correlation

Plus, in undergrad differences between Ivies are not fucking huge. It's when you get to graduate school that really most of this matters

I'm as white as the driven snow.

Different admission criteria. But I would say even the shittiest "Ivy", Cornell, is harder to get into than Toronto or McGill. Mainly because of the measures to weed out the Jews from higher education a few decades ago.

Eh
Those schools are good but Ivies are just harder because of the population of people applying and the ever-rising bar

>Cornell
>shittier than Dartmouth or Brown

Tough luck. Consider mutilating your genitals off and you might win some consideration.

You are a funny guy

>graduate school

Not exactly the first choice for many ivy league kids. I'd rather go to Harvard or Wharton and land a sick job before graduation.

pay RMP no mind, it's selection bias of the worst kind. I had a professor who on the first day of class pulled up his profile on the site and told us that he had posted over half the reviews himself.

I'm planning on doing research and staying in academia more or less so doctorate will be necessary at some point or another anyway

I mean, good for anyone that got into those schools, i don't want to come off as sour grapes, but I'm just happy where I am now

Apparently UofT is full of yids. But in Canada the main competition comes from Asians, they're hilariously over-represented. I guarantee that if America scrapped affirmative action all those blacks and hispanics would be replaced by Asians overnight. I don't mind that much, but below average white kids are getting kamikazi'd.

American schools heavily discriminate against Asians for a reason.

yeah, it's usually because their turnout into actually successful graduates usually is fucking nil

Speaking from experience, most of them just lack some sort of inner motivation and intellectual maturity, because their learning was never really their choice to begin with anyway. there's no way to make a good scientist or entrepreneur out of that

A lot of that is bullshit. Asians still occupy a disproportionate percentage of elite schools, especially when compared to the general population. Schools are unwilling to accept that many Asians because half the class cannot be compromised of members of one race. As for post graduation results, that's also bullshit. There are plenty of successful Asians in all fields. If anything, niggers and spics are the ones who end up achieving nil after their affirmative action boost.

Yeah, because that's the objective of colleges.

Perhaps, I'm just speaking from classroom and work experience and what I've seen

Have you attended an Ivy?

Like it or not, most colleges want graduates that will achieve shit and in turn make the school look good by association.

Why do you think Stanford and whatnot are looking for people to change the world, and please don't give me that "out of their love for humankind" bullshit.

Yeah, Cornell guy here

I did an internship doing CS for Daimler through a family friend and during my time there, the Asian workers, even ones from berkeley and UPenn mind you, weren't really that far ahead of the herd most of the time. My school experience has yielded a few brilliant Asian students but they're not the "study all the time and do tons of shit" sort of people that have infested the higher education application process

Yeah that's because you went to Cornell and studied CS. You probably saw mainly introverted gunner types.

>the main competition comes from Asians, they're hilariously over-represented.
It'd be more appropriate to say over-populated.

13% of BC residents are Asian. Yet 40% of UBC students are Asian. They have more representation in top (Canadian) schools than their proportion of the general population would suggest.

get out you reddit fuck