ITT: Book triggers

ITT: Book triggers

>the book's cover is the poster of its movie conversion

>chapter 1 starts on page 36
>introduction is bigger than the actual text
>uneven page edges
>book is an ebook

>introduction written as if the reader has already read the book complete with spoilers

>real person on the cover representing a character

>any written on the cover that's purpose is only to sell the book like "winner of ___ award"

>"dear reader"

>Adverb

Literally everything about every story written on MostlyHetero's wattpad.

>real person on the cover representing a character
>any written on the cover that's purpose is only to sell the book like "winner of ___ award"
YES SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS ME

>the book's written by a woman
>the book's written by a non-white male

When the introduction spoils the whole book.

Why not make that an afterword and.just have a small 1 page intro about the author. No one wants to hear you wank your ego and so how it influenced all your books that are available to buy.

>reading for plot

>introduction written as if the reader has already read the book complete with spoilers
All of my this.

I have in fact taken to not reading introductions unless it's for more complex works (e.g. greek plays, or anything where you need more context) until after I've read the book - if at all.

"When X did Y that is what I remember most fondly for it is the core of the book and influenced me by no end to write my bestsellers Y and U that appeared on the New York Times best seller list and you should read to fully grasp this book."

50 pages of translation notes with 5 forwards

I get that people might want tools to help them interpret the text (I know I do) but you are a 100% correct, they should leave that shit for late

Stoner

I never knew this feel until No Country For Old Men.

I recently picked up a translation of War and Peace and it had this issue. It started describing the plot contents of the book and shit as if I'd already read it.

Put that shit at the end or at least spoiler warning

Those fucking paper covers with some edgy-ass artwork. The books always look better without it.

I have the most disgusting version of Brief Interviews with Hideous Men and I wish I never bought it

>reading the introduction before reading the book for the first time
How new are you to literature? Be honest.

You're always supposed to read the introduction. It's an integral part of the story.
People like you who don't know the difference between a preface, a foreword, and an introduction are the source of the problem.

It's not really a pet peeve as much as something that's actually sorta great. Sometimes I order shit used on amazon and it comes totally not as described, so basically I'll message these guys saying that the book is missing a dust cover, or the condition of the book did not match the description. So I'll get a refund, but the book is still readable. Usually the pages are perfectly in tact and it's not like the book is still falling apart, so I look at it as free books, basically. I don't usually buy another one after I get a refund for one.

You read the introduction after you've read the book at least once. This is common practice. Particularly if it's one of those long penguin introductions where the entire history of the novel and the reaction it elicited are laid out.

This is how I got a free copy of godel escher bach. To be fair, the book arrived to me with the edges a bit worn from shipping, the book I ordered was brand new for 14 dollars though. So basically I got the book, still in perfectly readable condition, for free. Although, it would have bothered me if I didn't get a refund, because I basically ordered a brand new book and it didn't arrive to me in brand new condition. It was dumb, they packaged in a plastic shipping case with no padding and the edges got dented up and everything. Just dumb. I'll take it for free though.

Did you skip the Custom-House the first time you read the Scarlet Letter?
Introductions are part of the story. Anything else should be labeled a foreword.

A TOUR DE FORCE

The Custom-House is part of the fucking story. That's entirely different. My Penguin edition of The Scarlet Letter has about 30 pages of introductory text prior to The Custom-House

>Anything else should be labeled a foreword.
The problem is that it often isn't. There's no real standard naming for this stuff.

Indeed, and that's poor style on their part. I'm not a huge fan of Penguin books.
The Custom-House is the introduction to the story, regardless of what other text an editor wants to throw in before it.

There are standard conventions, but they tend to get muddled with annotated editions of classic books. Introductions to fiction are supposed to be the domain of the author, but editors sometimes think that adding 30 pages of annotations makes them the author of a new, non-fiction book.

Skipping the forward to Lolita until the end made my reading experience much more enjoyable than it would have otherwise been

>the title of the book is the main character's name

>title of the book is barely related to the actual plot
>50+ pages of resolutions after the climax

>cover/intro boasts "shocking reveal" to the detective/mystery plot
>it's the most obvious suspect

lolita

I don't mind this unless the poster is shit. It usually is, but on occasion you get some decent ones like Inherent Vice's (though people still tend to prefer the beach house cover for largely autismal reasons).

>introduction is bigger than the actual text

Fucking Animal Farm. Just let the book stand for itself, man, we don't need thirty pages of some random's self-indulgent waffle beforehand.

There's nothing wrong with thematic titles rather than plot-related ones.

I really get triggered by quads

What translation

>the title of the book is some obscure shit that only shows up for a couple of pages and when it does you're distracted

Looking at you To Kill A Mockingbird, Lord of the Flies and so many more

who exactly likes this shit?
I dont think i've ever met someone who does

doublespaced paragraph breaks in the middle of scenes

not making it explicitly clear which character is speaking

u wot

nice one senpai

There is if the theme is only present for one small part of the book.
Check'd btw.

>Don Quijote
>Ulysses
>Stoner
>Huck Finn
>Anna Karenina
>the list goes on!
the evidence is not on your side on this one

I really fucking hate when people make the book the merch of the movie. Fucking Jews.

>book is described as a "triumph of the human spirit"
>BBC Radio 4 fad book
>endless descriptions of scenery

make it stop please

>the main character is an autist that acts weird and gets in awkward situations

>the main character is gay
fuck off Melville

>time skip
>character is now unrecognisable

>fake record scratches

>text
>a gap
>"[some of pages were lost]"

>the book is a novelization of a movie script
Why would you do this?

Deckled edges used to be unavoidable.

I suppose some like them for that old-time feel that no-one remembers.

>BOOK SMELLS BOOKISH GAH
>Spray axe deodorant on each page and go to bed
>next day I wake up and pick up book
>mfw
>the book transformed into a charizard
>mfw I can't read charizard

Shit

I know this one, but I can't remember it

How do you live with yourself?

I'd guess P&V. Every Dostoevsky translation of theirs has spoilers in the intro

>the rustled edges to look old timey

>new york times #1 best seller

>books title contains symbols and/or non-ASCII characters

I cant help but think about how his little feet aren't touching the ground

>Meh meh muh hum mum hmm imm >reeadding wwaaaaer nn peeeace
>onmy ipad muh buh hub meh

Fag

>uncredentialed opinions coming from a famous person

Dead Souls
Most Kafka

Any other books that aren't some ancient text like Gilgamesh for which this is true?

Ok there buddyroo,
Read harry potter then,
Least its magic instead of autism

Fucking hated that

Anna karenina is shit

>book has extensive endnotes
>gives page/line number in the endnotes
>lines aren't numbered in the text
>no indication in the text that there is a corresponding endnote

the Harold Beaver version of Moby Dick

still the best version tho

>book is unfinished

fucking Cosmopolis

I literally just skip all the notes for books that do this.

>On the Road Original Scroll
>5 introductory essays
>first 150 pages

niggadoureallyexpectmetoreadallthatshit.jpg

you too? thought i was alone in this world.

God?

I did and regret those three hours to this day.

>Infinite Jest 20th Anniversary Edition
>It has those fucking uneven page edges
>It takes forever to flip to the endnotes

>Suttree

I'm sorry to hear that you have such undignified taste user

Fucking impressive

>Ulysses is the main character in the book

>mainly buy used books
>have a few now that have love notes written on the inside cover

always happens with poetry volumes

>calligrapic font on the spine of the book

K A F K A E S Q U E

Charles Dickens books with annotations on every sentence explaining why Dickens wrote this analogy or that simile, with movie-adaptation covers or people representing the characters. Ogod why.

This is already fuckening me desu senpai

>Reading for the plot
>Reading Stoner for the plot
Pretty sure you fucking idiots should stay in your sffg containment thread

>spoiling a book
>its a fucking book, not an episode of game of thrones or the walking dead

If the book can be affected anyway by revealing something about the plot then you are reading a shitty book. Everybody knows Hamlets dies and that doesnt mean people stopped reading because they already know how it ends.

Holden?

#reading4plot

Hamlet is a play you dumbass

>The title of the book follows the template of "the X" or even just "X"

>It's not incalculable jape
I can't tell you how many times I've gotten kertwanged like this

its a book

No it's a movie

yeah, bitch