What does Veeky Forums think about Romance of the Three Kingdoms (and Chinese books in general)?

What does Veeky Forums think about Romance of the Three Kingdoms (and Chinese books in general)?

I've heard.. it drags on.. I've read some of the classics in original text, "dreams of the red chambers", but that's also not in literary or classical Chinese. For that, I'm picking up Zhuangzi, which editon is still in consideration. I'm also interested in Taiwanese literature, as I'm living here, I've exhausted Pai Hsien-yung, and I'm not sure where to go from here.

W U X I A
U
X
I
A

If only there was somebody with decent prose to actually translate them, right now most of the 4 Chinese classics are close to unbearable in English.

Tuttle's modern translation of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms by Yu Sumei and Ronald Iverson is really easy to read.

Here, check them out:
mega://#F!51Q0waSI
Key:
!4Ut-eePQr9YSjHJJTQs7Ew!s9RGTZQS

>Tfw you will never be Chinese

Celebrate.

> Implying I care
> Implying my mind isn't filled with tfw I will never have a patrician Chinese gf
> Implying my mind isn't filled with tfw I will never be a citizen of the word's greatest civilization (possibly)

>implying I'll read any more after this happened

cuck me once shame on you
cuck me —can't get cucked again

THIS AIN'T MY GENERAL
THIS IS MY SON!
MAN!
I THREW THAT BABY ON THE GROUND!

embrace it senpai

I'm a big fan of the part where the citizens being saved form a global calculator.

>Implying my mind isn't filled with tfw I will never have a patrician Chinese gf
Why would you have to be Chinese for that?

>slap myself in the first year of uni
>mfw this is me
Fug. I still will learn

>simplified chinese
step it up fampai

Hey, here. I wouldn't worry about too much. Chinese steel is infamously bad. There's a lot of other industries that are fine to work in China. One thing you should realize is, studying Mandarin won't get you a job if that's your only skill. You need to learn something else valuable. There's a very large pool of English speakers in China, which makes a significant depression in wages when it comes down to translation.

There's a couple of industries for Chinese speakers here
-English Teacher
-Ghost Writer

Your best bet, to make money, if you decide to go into translation, is to try and work your way into the government asap. Whether that's joining the armed forces, or trying to find work at an embassy, that'll do you a lot of good. People need to know that your skills are worth while, and the govt. will give you that.

>There's a couple of industries for Chinese speakers here
I should have wrote, these are the typical jobs for laowai (or foreigner) in China or in Taiwan. Whoops.

'm studying Electrical engineering and a friend of mine is teaching chinese for the lulz (but I'm getting serius about it.
I'm in very beggining. Basic words, sounds learning pinyin and zhuyin and a few things in hanzi .His family seem cool but they are taiwanese and cantoonese.

Nice trips, another thing about working here, a lot of the jobs outside of the teaching industry fucking blow. Locals will work for pennies on the dollar, and the companies here are cheap as fuck. There's no understanding in paying for quality. If you're lucky, you'll get some solid experience before coming here, and be transferred into a Western company. Besides that, you could also maybe try and find remote work. Teaching isn't for everyone, it certainly wasn't for me, I only lasted 3 months.

Nice to know that user. Where are you?(>inb4 china :^) ) I plan to continue with the engineering and also learn french and chinese on the go simply because I want to. And they might come in handy someday I don't know. My friend does translation jobs in automobile fairs and similar events here on Brazil and he is very very young, like 19 years old.

In that case, you'll be fine. The literature is fun, in some cases it can be a lot like Joyce's stream of conciousness. I'm in Taiwan, it's quite nice. I used to live in Shenzhen(near HK), and Wuhan(central China).

There's a lot of natural beauty here, the people are more friendly, and the culture is a continuation of Fujian province pre-cultural revolution.

>> Implying my mind isn't filled with tfw I will never have a patrician Chinese gf
you can tho. make an interpals account and hit them gook qts up, thats what I do. sadly, most of them are really reserved and just plain boring

One of the greatest books ever written.

mmmm glutinous

vaginal discharges literally do look a lot like that

>implying simplified isnt aesthetically superior to traditional chinese in every way

wew

>>I wonder how well a dictatorship made of philosophers would work out.

Not as good as western classics.

Journey to the west is fun.

It is indeed that.

Anyone here read Water Margin? Like it's literally a book I'm planning on reading but I just need to be nudged into starting it.

Outlaws of the Marsh? heh, yeah i've heard of it. There's a couple different versions, are you going to read it in the original? I usually prefer the western style of epic in the end, Journey to the West was great just because of the flavor of their magic, and Sun Wukong was a boss, but I never could get that nudge into the rest of the epics. There is a game actually based on the water margin, called Suikoden. it's pretty neat.

Awright senpai that's encouraging nudging plenty, I'm gonna get started on it soon. It doesn't get enough love desu (maybe because Mao claimed inspiration from it, and that one proverb).

Probably going to get 1/4th through before bianziing it.