youtube.com/watch?v=AdNAhlqnxA0
this stand up really made me think

Russell Peters

Stephen Fry
Louis CK

>ftfy
reddit tier

i want to kill myself!

i figure this is the thread for this, i dig Adam Carolla's books, and i recently finished Aziz Ansari's book Modern romance. good stuff, and i need more entertaining books to listen too when i'm commuting. any recommendations?

Bill Hicks

I like his earlier work a lot more.

After watching "Make Happy", I've come to the conclusion Bo Burnham isn't shit.

If you watch "What." followed by MH, honestly he is telling a story, and the way he weaves his emotions/demons into it is almost masterful. Also, he has links to DFW interview on his website, so he's Veeky Forumserally mostly there anyway

Yeah his earlier work was influenced by Wittgenstein his latter by Chomsky.

Idunno about influenced by. You could certainly draw some similarities.

He's very very clever but he's not funny there's a difference. He's not smart either he's more of information cataloger as opposed to an original thinker.

MH was preachy shit and What., while funny at times, also got caught up in itself and came off as contrived/pretentious

He was influenced by literature, philosophy and TV characters not comedians.

I dunno, bits like the salt and vinegar joke and "kill yourself" were hilarious. I'm not too informed on what makes something humorous vs. clever, what would make the difference? Take his timing jokes, there was an expectation of the audience for it to go one way, and he went another in a manner unexpected, he's basically making fun of the audience's assumptions, which I would consider "funny"

He's humor doesn't work universally because he relies on clever word games and construing expectations of the audience who are comediaclly literate. Charlie Chaplin and Carlin can make the world laugh. Bo cant. His humor is too gimmicky.

Woody Allen and maybe Steve Martin.

He also has Veeky Forums taste in novels

*tips fedora*

Nigga is pretty based

Pic related :

I prefer droll humor, but droll doesn't get famous.

Nick Offerman. His reddit AMA's shows his writing skills. He's also written two books I believe.

Dostoyevsky is a slapdash comedian

>Pic possibly related
not really

Ellen

Dostoyevsky did often go for humor, especially early on, and it really wasn't his thing. At the least, it hasn't aged well out of its original context.
Actually now that I think of it, some of his later work like The Crocodile does work pretty well as humor. But he never really was able to pull it of character-wise (certainly not in comparison to Dickens, whom I think he was trying to emulate in writing comic characters).

Sammy Hydel:

youtube.com/watch?v=rxK1abRYXJo

Tell me that isn't reminiscent of Inherent Vice.

Kek

why is he wearing a pijamas

Vic and Bob have let themselves go.

Naked in his rocking-chair of undressed teak...

That's like saying Joyce is bad because you need to be a reader to read him.

>carlin
LMAO THERE IS NO GOD BECAUSE I TAKE THINGS OUT OF CONTEXT

No. Discernible. Talent.

>Carlin

Carlin basically just made observations in rant form so everyone could acknowledge how hypocritical or incongruous certain situations were.

What's funny about him?

>he didn't get the reference

The funny things he says. Went to see him live, never saw anyone so in their element in my life. Dylan Moran is also pretty fun, his earlier stuff anyway. His last special was pretty odd, it seemed like something had changed in his life. Probably stopped doing some drug or another. But his first two or three shows are great.

Demetri Martin tbqh

Dylan Moran is the only right answer so far

finally, another fan. what did you think of his latest special? it seemed way too calm and not cynical and posh enough. just really a kind of tired drugless hour conversation with no material. it was kind of sad in comparison with his other stuff, but if he has a better life now, i'm happy enough with what i've gotten from him. Not many more comedians i know of, really. Bo's good in the sense of his quick wit and cleverness, but i think whether he truly becomes a great comedian in the future is something only time will tell. he has the potential to be one, certainly. there really aren't a lot of funny people out there. I mean, I liked richard pryor and even chapelle, but are they lit? nah. are they funny? absolutely. Leslie Nielsen was also very very funny, for example. Lit? fuck no. But I'm not the type to find literature funny, Confederacy of Dunces wasn't funny to me, for example. If anything, that book was a depressing cry for help that no one listened to until he was fucking dead. Carlin was funny in the sense that he was a social commentator, kind of like Bill Hicks, really ultra cynical and critical of a lot of things, Carlin only hit that tone when he got a bit older, he used to be just a goofy fucker, which I enjoyed. Someone who was quick witted and funny, albeit fairly old timey, was Groucho Marx, check out a video of you bet your life sometime, that shit is pretty fucking fun. Jonathan Winters also, he was a skit genius, and though a lot of his jokes are just edgy for their time and kind of quaint now, his scenarios are great and his facial expressions and voices are absolutely mint even to this day. Truly funny comedians only come very rarely, unfortunately.

oh sorry, that was too much i guess.

me like funnyman. he make belly laff.

That's not his entire standup though. Politically the guy isn't all that interesting, sure, but as a comedian he was certainly talented. Watch and listen to a lot of his stuff from the 70's & 80's. A lot of his talent lied in his delivery.

No, but that's what he chose to define himself as in his last years and what he died as.

that Kaufman isn't on here reminds me I need to gtf off this board

Monty python

Dylan Moran.

yeah this dude's face has sort of a literary vibe

not the stupid face he's making in that gif, i mean his face generally

This.

Also Stewart Lee.

He's actually very well-read and very sophisticated. His choice of words is very elegant, which makes a very pleasant combo with his on stage drunk random guy character.
Black Books is a great show also, he's one of the two writers of the show and he plays as the main character. Very diogenes-like character with a twist of absurdity

I always thought Stewart Lee was a pretentious unfunny asshole but I've seen some good bits on youtube by him, I'll check out some of his shows, he seems pretty Veeky Forums desu
youtube.com/watch?v=QDs7-QYlGyY

he should really stop taking alex jones seriously lmoa

Rich Vos.

>fueling a Nabokav meme

>Very diogenes-like character with a twist of absurdity
Don't describe things you like this way.