QTDDTOT

Questions that don't deserve their own threads:

Well, I'm a little disappointed. I found pic related edition of Master and Margarita and bought it without doing any research on what translations/editions are good, so I only just discovered, halfway through the novel, that it's based on the censured Soviet edition. I think I'm just going to go ahead and finish it, then read the complete translation afterwards. So, what are the recommended translations for this?

Burgin and O'Connor

this.

This time the le P&V suck meme is actually right; their translation is middling. It's quite good in the original Russian though.

I intent to read it after I finish the current book. I have it translated by RICHARD PEVEAR AND LARISSA VOLOKHONSKY. Should I get the Burgin/O'Connor edition.

Why are all of Veeky Forums's ideas of (not very) funny books in the twentieth century? Is there no well-written book from 2000 on that's funny as well?

It can't be that hard to beat Catch 22

Yes, get Burgin/O'Connor. Petrucio and Volgograd did a bad job with Bulgakov

I read it in its original Latin

I can't speak to the overall truth of the P+V meme, but I found their M+M legitimately bad.

Yeah, they did do a bad job with it. I even like P&V; I pretty vocally defend their Tolstoj and Dostoevskij on here, but they do not capture Bulgakov well.

Veeky Forums barely talks about any recent books- not sure comedies are a special case.

I feel like this might be dumb but I'd really like to know the literary origins of many of the Ancient Greek myths i.e not from vases and statues etc.

I mean, I've known of Theseus, Perseus, Jason etc for as long as I can remember, and yet I have no idea what their origins are.

>literary origins
You won't go wrong by looking up the corresponding wikipedia page, sliding down to the Literature category and picking the earliest result, eg. Theseus gives you Sophocles. It won't be the actual origin since in many cases the earliest known or extant literary work is itself a re-adaptation of oral myths, and sometimes it won't even be the version of the myth you're familiar with.

Obviously it can differ depending on what you are reading, but what is a good average number of pages to read per day?

50 if you have a full time job

For regular fiction I'd say 60-80, non-fiction and philosophy a lot less because you need to read it slower.

Question: Where does one start with Arthurian legends?

Is Atlas Shrugged worth reading?

I bought pic related on a whim for pretty much nothing. Opinions?

It has some famous novels like The Death of Ivan Ilych, The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, and Heart of Darkness.

I wouldn't say so unless you have some interest in Objectivism.

Hello Veeky Forums

I already posted my question in the wrong thread. It would be very kind of you to answer my question, if you have read the mentioned book.

The question:

Mallory.

Earlier isn't really necessary, unless you're into that kind of thing.

But once you're done with Arthur, you are morally obligated to read Don Quixote.

Is categorical imperative just logical consistency, or did I misunderstand something?

Libra or White Noise?

Also for 800+ pages - 2666 or Underworld?

It was published in the last five years, therefore, there is no way it's any good.

Pope's translation of the Odyssey:
>True friendship's laws are by this rule expressed,
>Welcome the coming, speed the parting guest.

What's the meaning of "speed the parting guest"?
Is it a humorous expression to say that "it was nice while you stayed, but now please go", or am I completely wrong here?

Eggers is by default snubbed by Veeky Forums, and is pretty normie-core. I wouldn't approach the stuff myself but you'll have to make your own opinion on this.

Yeah pretty much don't overstay your welcome