Recent purchases

anyone made any new additions to their collection recently?
no longer human is pretty great so far

Other urls found in this thread:

bookerrata.com/books/gravity.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm going to pretend you bought Jelinek because I made a thread abut it some week ago, and feel pride in that.
You're very welcome, OP.

you'd be correct, user
I was also thinking of getting the story of the eye after i've finished these as i've often heard the two mentioned together, have you read it?

I haven't unfortunately, though I'd recommend picking up Lust. I think it's her best one. Hope you enjoy m8

looking forward to first joyce.
how did i do? was considering getting dubliners first.
got sent a different fiesta version than advertised but i like the cover more. who's laughing now?

thanks for the memes guys

riding that meme train.

Bought these a few days ago.

Don't underestimate the memes. There's a reason those books are memes.

plus these

Got this for my intro to philosophy class, is it any good?

How's my stack

I don't get why everyone dick rides No Longer Human. Turbo weeb here who has read it in the original Japanese as well as English, and IMHO its just too much of a pointless, one note gloomfest.

Just read Akutagawa. He's like Dazai in many ways but more clever.

Propaganda was a fascinating read, good pick

You got the shitty edition of GR, lad. You have my sympathy

I love finding bookstores that sell stuff for dirt-cheap

They fixed the mistakes in recent printings of that one. I dunno if he has a newer edition though.

What's wrong with it?

Not much

bookerrata.com/books/gravity.html

This guy again. I just came back from the bookstore.

Nearly done with CoL49 in one day. I like it so much but I don't even know why

There is one guaranteed line that got cut off at the bottom of page ~137 or so, so it reads "his task, in these dreams, is often to (...) pens." easy to check for.

It's fixed I believe. At least that half a sentence missing from the older edition is there in mine.

Based bookstores around Harvard having great used books. My friend got Mason&Dixon for only 9 dollars, nearly perf condition.

Have you read Victor Serge before? Would you recommend his work?

I was so excited to start on this and the whole thing got spoiled in the first page. Who puts fucking spoilers in the god damn introduction?

good taste mate

thakn you

go fuck off

What got you so butthurt?

How do I know which is the right print?

Nice. Moby Dick and Neuromancer are wonderful. I have the Stand which I picked up for cheap as well but have not read it yet.

Any copy of it is fine

TCOL49 is kind of shit desu. I'm going to finish it but I'm not liking what I've read at all. I was hoping it would be a good primer for Gravity's Rainbow.

The Brothers Karamazov is great so far though. A bit soap-opera like, but 5/5 overall.

Scandi book prices man

Victor Serge no, but its an NYRB and they have yet to fail me.

>TCOL49

Kind of shit? I understand that you wouldnt like it, but shit? far from it.

Pretty pleased with these cops.
I've been looking for a Yeats book for quite some time but no one knows him over here

>Shit taste confirmed

Take Harold Bloom's advice and reread Crying right after you finish it. Just do it. The book's short, you won't W.A.S.T.E. a lot of time.

bitch

Some library books in here.

>the karamazov
>brothers

why does this annoy me so much?

i love william blake, nice get!

Fully illustrated, it's awesome! Without them you only have half of what Blake intended.

Practically every introduction spoils the plot of the novel, they are not really indented to for first time readers.

Do you mean the word order? I think Avsey was onto something in breaking with Garnett's hasty choice that became entrenched for all this time.
If you mean how the last word is orphaned by itself like that, then yes that was a questionable typesetting decision

Solid memes, can't go wrong there.
>Goethe
Nice, how is that edition?

Reposting latest stack since it's still warm.

It has been the summer of buying NYRB classics. Also managed to pick up a few treasures on the road.

Is that an english Berlin Alexanderplatz? Which edition?

Thanks again for posting that Table of Contents.

No problem, mate.
Btw I've been looking at letters from Russia, how is it, if you have gotten to it already.

Also I have the same edition of the Monk complete with terrible notes from it's previous owner, that book has everything in terms of sensationalism, a tour de force of edginess from a 20 year old, still pretty good to this day.

missed the threadd

used book stores yay

I just got fifty shades of grey. Wish there was some way to make myself forget everything about it. And not so I can read it afresh.

>el matadera
My boludo from another mother.

Haven't gotten to Letters yet, but I read the intro and it sets it up nicely as a travelogue wherein Astolphe describes his journey through Russia as a descent into hell. It beats the other choices I had: the Goncourt Journals or the Summer, 1926 letters between Pasternak, Tsvetayeva and Rilke.

Thank pibe-kun, I've heard great things about him, I'm not argento but you have some amazing authors, I discovered Alberto Laiseca recently and his short stories are fantastic

If you like those two, you should read don segundo sombra, martin fierro and facundo if you haven't already.
be aware that all of these are only enjoyable if you have at least basic knowledge of the context in which they were written though.

I'll make sure to check them out once I finish Echeverria, the good thing is that this edition has a 70 pages introduction; mostly about the historical context

i'd read martin fierro (read up on wikipedia what la campaƱa del desierto was before), then don segundo sombra, and then facundo (for this one, read about rosas, unitarios/federales and caudillos)

I picked that up in a Goodwill back at the height of its popularity and flipped through the first chapter.

How appalling. The writing was so incredibly bad. I can't believe you finished it. I don't know whether to be impressed by your determination or ashamed at your stupidity user. For now, I will settle on being a little of both.

I have that exact same Blake book. In the back there are short analysis' of the poems.

Should have read Dubliners first

Goat cover, good condition, 3 Euros.

No, he shouldn't have. Stop acting like there's some kind of progression set in stone.

$20, all great condition