>be me, bored on Veeky Forums
>decide to go on reddit
>never been on it before, but hear other anons shit on it all the time
>supposed to be plebian cesspool
>go on r/books
>"so many books, so little time"
>indeed
>see posts like:
>"Does anyone else get so excited and impatient with reading their book that when a moment of revelation is coming you have to stop yourself from jumping ahead on the page?"
>"started reading harry potter"
>fucknonigger.jpg
>go on r/literature next
>then go on r/AskLiteraryStudies
>amazing discussions
>100% patrician content
>everyone is kind and enthusiastic, also generally interested in what theyre talking about
>mfw
>go back to Veeky Forums
>3 dfw posts
>2 john green posts
>9 bait threads
>1 actually interesting discussion thread with 2 replies (one of which has a dfw meme as pic related, and the other is "my diary desu")
>fuckthisshit.png
>leave Veeky Forums
>evolve from pleb to patrician

seriously why does anyone ever browse this shit anymore?

You didn't leave though.

i just want to shoot the shit with people who share the same interests as me, and occasionally talk about that interest

I want that but for film. Veeky Forums has some good discussions occasionally (still love u when yr bad baby) but /tv/ is garbage...

AskLiteraryStudies is too patrician so I feel stupid when I don't understand a post, and the lack of shitposting makes me bored. Veeky Forums has the perfect balance between elitism and shitposting. You can act like a snob, but you rarely have to show it in any constructive way.

Reddit is only "reddity" on the defaults. Small subs like those are generally much better

kuso thread

Thanks for the tip, OP.
That group looks really good based on what I saw at the first page.

upboat

theres r/truefilm. i wonder why out of /mu/, Veeky Forums and /tv/, its /tv/ that has the least intelligent discussion and least patrician people

The anonymous nature of imageboards incites a propensity for sincerity among its users that manifests itself in the hostile and memetic counterculture of Veeky Forums, offering a cathartic release from the insincerity and social mores of normal human interaction and offering a kind of self-depricating camaraderie between its users. I'm trying to say that people don't come here excusivelyfor discussion, though when you do find discussion its usually a cut above the likes of reddit, excluding a few niche subreddits.

You can probably blame Marvel and the discussion about television instead of film for that. But thanks for the suggestion!

There's very little barrier for entry for people to watch TV. Most people don't bother just sitting down and listening to music for pleasure. For many, it's something to put on in the background.

With books, yes there are a ton of plebby books and a bunch of people that avidly read those books in their free time, but this is much less widespread than people that watch TV. Everyone watches TV. Binge watching Netflix is seen as a completely socially acceptable time-sink, but reading books is kind of weird and not for everyone.

Holy shit, a place that actually discusses something more than just Pynchon and Wallace? I'm sold.

I just got back from a year of hiatus. I don't get this pynchon meeem. Why so many posts about him? It's like the will smith autistic poster on animal crossing general?

Don't get it either. Either this board has been taken over edy teenagers who have recently read Gravity's Rainbow or Infinite Jest or everybody is just shitposting and not talking about books.

The amount of posts DAILY about IJ is just too much.

If I wanted to talk to a bunch of nerds, I would of majored in literature.

>leave Veeky Forums
>come back to Veeky Forums to post this

That aside, the smaller niche subreddits can actually be quite nice sometimes. Just avoid the big (especially default) ones because they tend to be full of really terrible plebs.

>Wanting to be in a website that bans funposting
>Doesn't understand that memes are often axioms of discussions already had but faggots like you like to revive

>the smaller niche subreddits can actually be quite nice sometimes.
You still have to use their dogshit layout though. That's intolerable.

correct
plus there's sincerity here, none is trying to keep a status
except fucking butterfly reeee
>having a TV in your house
>not relaxing after a hard day in a couch just listening to music with his eyes closed
fag

Isn't it the reason why this board should be better? No status means we could discuss any book we wanted to, but all people to here is talk about David Foster Wallace or Pynchon.

because this board is besieged by passerby faggots who shitpost once a day for le replies xdd

Veeky Forums has its place but you need some sort of regulation to have decent discussion.

>What was Nabokov's opinion of Nietzsche?
>submitted 16 days ago
>2 comments
That might be why, OP. On Veeky Forums you'd have 20 posts within an hour or so.

Granted, they'd all be memes, but still

I've used reddit in a desultory way for years, but I never stay long. It's like you're not really talking to humans. The problem is the comment voting. Every time a redditor replies to another redditor, he has two audiences: the person he wants to talk to, and everyone else lurking the thread. He can never just have a casual or sincere conversation with anyone else because all his posts are being silently and anonymously judged by the entire community. It leads to this stilted, forced bonhomie because nobody wants to get downvoted.

It's just not a natural way to have a conversation. Here, if someone watching from the sidelines disapproves he has to speak up and wade in himself. There's no need to placate the entire community (kill yourselves by the way) because there's nothing anybody can do about posts they don't like except maybe report them and hope for a rare jani intervention.

It's not the censorship or conformity that bugs me so much as the unnatural way people speak. I can endure getting downvoted when I break an opinion rule but I can't stand people upvoting or downvoting my quotidian interactions with others on the site. It's like trying to have a discussion in a panopticon.

Don't they have a rule that you can't answer any of the questions of you aren't at least in graduate school or something? I know it helps post quality, but it excludes a large portion of Veeky Forums, even the less shitty crowd.

the askphilosophy subreddit is good too. the philosophy one should be decent too

>undergrads and "autodidacts" think they're anything but shitty

top kek

The real film experts are watching quality kino

fuck off nigger

>would of
maybe you should have gone for that

The odd shitpost on Reddit can be enjoyable.

Excessive downvoting grants you visibility in a way. Lots of people are curious and are eager to get offended themselves.

truefilm is really godd

How does one find such subs?

Still came back to post this though because you care what we think

this tbqh

yes but Veeky Forums is more fun

word of mouth, the search bar by subreddit, "recommended subreddits" on the sidebar of bigger subs (this is p common as a means of "subreddit alliance", gives both subs more members)

>Reddit is only "reddity" on the defaults.

This is a meme, the very system of reddit still poisons the smaller subs

Looking into it /r/literature gets like a thread a day at best

Instead of that, have you tried killing yourself instead?

>Reditt
>No sjw bullshit

Sure user, now tell us how dmocratic Venezuela is and how Kore isn't a communist country.

The same is true of Veeky Forums.

In the same way that reddit incentivizes circlejerking and confirmation bias, Veeky Forums's system incentivizes threads based around memes and bait. The OPs that get the most traction are the ones that are as provocative (usually stupid or ridiculous) as possible.

I absolutely agree.
The caveat however to me though is that things that are provocative usually lose their impact and interest over time.
People on the otherhand however seem to have an endless appetite for viewing things that reaffirm their own opinions. This is why I think Veeky Forums is a far more creative and productive platform in the long run.

Patricianship has no real value. If a man with a knife arrives at your house to demand that you give him a satisfactory explanation of the role of Pangloss in Candide, then sure, ask Reddit. Otherwise, what's the point? I'd rather shitpost on the road less traveled and get occasional book recs from you faggots with zero regard for my reputation in the morning; that is, I'd rather live an interesting life than a virtuous one.

Here, I found a Shakespeare quote to go with my post:
>Ere I would say I would drown myself for the love of a guinea hen, I would change my humanity with a baboon.

WHAT ARE YOU IMPLYING?

it also means you can behave like a bufoon without having your word being delegitimazed

most of the people obsessed with reddit are people who've come to Veeky Forums after whetting their posting stone on the reddit front page and its second layer of front page aspirant subs

anyone who spends a significant amount of time online and knows what's up was using reddit back in the digg days, and when digg crashed and the sub-feature opened up they just burrowed deeper in with their tech and crypto and coding chat spaces

over the years reddit has become one of the better places online to discuss niche interests---their darknet and rc communities are amazing, some of their music subs like hiphop heads have become industry forces in their own right while still remaining largely insular and subject focused

the down side of reddit is that it is pretty lame. they don't really get memetics, at least not in the dawkinsian way the older generation of net browsers from the early Veeky Forums/somethingawful days do. there is also a huge censorship problem when you are coming from a community like Veeky Forums

anywho r/books is a trash site for trash people who eat trash
r/literature has a small but noticeable cross-posting base with Veeky Forums and generally does have pretty good taste and content

You know that

Someone is a redditor

When they

Space sentences like this

truefilm is awful. Fifteen year-olds writing essays on what Suicide Squad should have done to be a better movie

kid I will find your thesis advisor and cuck you so fucking hard with my witty, sensitive, deeply perceptive assays on literature and culture you won't know what's what

your advisor won't even want to look at the bland academy sanctioned try-hard trash you've been slaving on

hello reddìt

"DAE think the main character of Nightcrawler might have been a sociopath?"

every fucking week

i've never seen a single DAE post on truefilm, and i've been subbed to it for over a year.

the DAE was an exaggeration to emphasize the stupidity of the people that post variations on that topic. It's more like "I wrote a small essay on the possibility of Lou Bloom being a sociopath" or whatever. My point is that there's a pool of recurring topics that are endlessly regurgitated on that sub. Shallow essays that repeat the same obvious points about entry-level movies like Lost in Translation and American Beauty and whatever else. I don't deny there is good stuff on there though.

oh okay. yeah, there's a lot of recycled stuff on there. but that's not a problem unique to truefilm.

really i just wanted to vent about how often i see a stupid fucking thread about how lou bloom is a sociopath

>what are paragraphs

This is exactly my problem with the site too

It's a method of societal control. Reddit is monitored and influenced by alphabet agencies (as are most major online discussion places). The voting system lends itself very well to a means of thought control. Speak and discuss how we want or be drowned and hidden.

I up voted all these

I agree with most of your post but some subreddits are the exception. One being /r/askliterarystudies and the other /r/ask-style subreddits. The reason for this is heavy moderation by the academic mods who crack down on unsourced, offtopic, bullshit content.

askhistorians is pretty great

desu the worst thing about reddit is that like 90% of comment sections on the popular subreddits turn into endless chains of tv and movie quotes and shit tier puns

Ah so they're not so different from us after all.

it's all the fucking same. go to /r/badbooks and try to discern their memes from the memes here. hell, they even have "spooks" on their front page.

I haven't even been on there and this pisses me off. Do they really point out the obvious like this and pretend it's something up for discussion?