So what classes are we taking this semester?

So what classes are we taking this semester?

Derivative securities

I'm a CS major and have never had a lit class before. I signed up for post-colonial lit because it was the only lit class available. I'm looking forward to it, even though the teacher already seems to give off the "old white men are evil" vibe, the works we plan to read are ones I've already been wanting to read so it should be fun.

My only non-stem class is academic writing 2
Shit sucks

The one where you continuously apply for jobs that in all likelihood will make you miserable while maintaining your fairly comfy part-time cashier position.

I'm really starting to miss being a student.

Most derivatives aren't securities.

I'm starting my Eng Lit degree next month, planning to take a module about the presentation of love throughout the history of literature and one about Victorian and Romantic literature, as well as the compulsory intro class. Pretty stoked.

Studies in Medievalism
History of Greece
Knowledge, Truth, and Opinion
Roots of Peace and Conflict

Literature classes are so much useless I can't understand there still are people who take them seriously with a genuine expectation. You're basically taught what to read and what to focus on, which might be cool if we were still living in the 15th century. You're basically paying for knowledge freely available everywhere else.

>post-colonial lit
>the teacher already seems to give off the "old white men are evil" vibe

dead_dove_do_not_eat.jpg

>You're basically paying for knowledge freely available everywhere else.
This is true in every field; it's not like there are forbidden tomes out there not available to the public.

>I'm a CS major and have never had a lit class before. I signed up for post-colonial lit

please don't judge all literature courses by your experience in this one class

Taking Victorian Literature and Technical Writing.

Teaching two sections of Freshman composition.

Intro to Political Ideology
American Natural Goverment
Political Philosophy
Rhetoric and Comp
Algebra 1
Art Hist from Egypt to Medieval

No, the equivalent to other fields is being given an introduction to good physics/finance/language textbooks. You don't read in literature classes. You just waste hours thinking about what you should read.

im in humanities, basically doing a fancy new version of ethnology

only bullshit classes because im studying abroad in s Korea and no one gives a fuck

top 5 uni, too, probably one of the best for non-stem

Roughly translating to bongspeak

Psychology 101
Roman History
Modern History
Moral Philosophy

Some other philosophy class, not really psyched honestly cause I've already done the ones I like. Will have to write my thesis soon, too.

What's your degree? Sounds interesting

>American Natural Goverment

Is that a typo or are they teaching Divine Right over there?

>tfw this is possible in burgerland

>You don't read in literature classes. You just waste hours thinking about what you should read.

Sorry, I assumed you had some knowledge of what you were talking about. I didn't realize you were just shitposting.

teology

Yeah, meant National*

What's the prob, rob?

Virginia Woolf
Advanced Value Theory
Aesthetics
International Modernism
Grecian Myth in Sculpture

>algebra 1

You're trolling.

I took it voluntarily. I wanted to reinforce my math which is terrible.

pre-calculus

Is Veeky Forums bad at math?

What is Veeky Forums's opinion of math?

Math is a meme and only "works" because we have all agreed to pretend that it does.

It's an artificial system without real world consequences

Film Transformations
Contemporary Hollywood
Power, Politics and Society
Europe and its Others

That's bizarre. "Logic is a meme that works because we have agreed to pretend it does." What philosophy even is this?

maths is fun, it's useful and only fags dont like it

t. humanities student

I am pretty good at math and enjoy certain areas of the field, although I don't think I would be suited for a pure mathematics degree. I think it's the most fun if you can approach it as a puzzle.

>It's an artificial system without real world consequences

He says in a message transmitted via computer.

I find it fun and did well in all my courses for it, but I'm not sure I would ever want to do anything with it as a job.

idk but i've thinked about that, idk is there any books on this
we agree on that 1 means 1 because when we build buildings or whatever, under that agreement, it works.

but 1 can mean 3 sometimes, if you have a bag, and put two bags inside it, that one bag now counts as 3

really makes you think

if we made buildings having in mind 1 = 3 they wouldnt be good buildings
but that doesnt mean 1 is always 1

garbage

none of them are related to my major I just need some easy courses to get my marks up

memes 1

I was always a good (though far from exceptional) math student, but I haven't taken a course since my first semester at college.

Kind of want to refresh my math abilities now, and maybe learn a few new concepts. Arts and humanities alone can no longer quell my boredom, it seems. Anyone care to recommend some good online resources?

>going to college

>anti-intelectualism on Veeky Forums
You have to go back

Microprocessor Design
Signals and Systems
Electrical circuits and devices

t. failed precalc

he's right you know

>Math is a meme and only "works" because we have all agreed to pretend that it does.
true
>It's an artificial system
nothing wrong with that
> without real world consequences
you must have brain damage

I took a Woolf class last semester, it was really interesting but difficult because we had to read eight of her books in one semester

I'm taking a course on James Joyce AND Virginia Woolf.
I'm worried we're going to miss some stuff.

-Heterodox Economics
-Major British Writers I
-Progress and Poverty in 19th Century Europe
-Geology w/Lab
-Russia and the West

Wow I'm jealous, that sounds like an amazing class! You'll definitely miss some Woolf, but as long as you cover stuff like Dalloway and To the Lighthouse, it's no tragedy

Philosophy of Art
French Cinema and Theory
Second Course in German
Cognitive Neuroscience
Being and Time Special Study

Patrician

Quantum mechanics 2
quantum field theory
Atomic and laser physics 2

Sage because blogposting

That's a lot of books for one class. Was it worth it, did you learn anything interesting you want to share?

fair enough

English major, philosophy minor.

Eight books is just slightly more than the norm for my classes, but it was definitely a lot for Virginia Woolf because she can be difficult. It was well worth it though!

If I could share anything, I would say her philosophy is consistent throughout all her novels. She pretty much explains all her core beliefs in A Room of One's Own and Three Guineas. Almost all of her novels discuss femininism and post-world war one trauma

Sounds like a good time, senpai. I was a comp sci major, though I always enjoyed film and literature, and I kinda regret not minoring or second majoring in one of those fields. Be sure to keep us updated on how you'll inevitably see that Rohmer was arguably the greatest figure in the French New Wave and that Godard was a bit of hack.

I wish I was going back to school

Yeah I'm excited for my semester. I love Godard, but there's no Rohmer on the syllabus. Any recs? I run a film series on campus, maybe I'll show something.

You could always get a/nother graduate degree.

Literature Humanities at Columbia

First Semester:
>British Literature of the Later 20th Century
>Close Reading
>Romantic Era I
>Creative Writing: Fiction I (I took Poetry I and II last year)
>Creative Nonfiction

Second Semester:
>James Joyce's Ulysses (seminar)
>Society, Politics, and Literature
>Thought of Michel Foucault
>Creative Writing: Fiction II
>TV: Theory and Criticism

Shaping up to be an excellent fucking year. And first semester I have Tuesday and Thursday off, second semester I have Monday, Wednesday, Friday off.

lucky fucker. I took a full Heidegger course and I didnt' find it rewarding enough because the focus on B+T was so short. I only really liked Being and Time too, so that was kind of annoying. Ended up writing my final paper on Gadamer because I couldnt' be fucked to deal with Heidegger. Was so disillusioned with him by the end of it.

Too poor, if I come into a decent amount of money somehow I would like to take a classics or literature degree.

First-year composition and Calc 1

I think that The Collector is a good starting point, then move on to My Night at Maud's and Claire's Knee.

>I love Godard
Godard is great if you enjoy what he does -- primarily filmic and narrative deconstruction -- but merely exists as an intellectual curiosity if those things don't excite you too much. My issue with Godard is that he seems to be more concerned with characters -- and what constitutes a character -- than he is with people, if that makes sense. To be fair, this is based off of what I've seen of his 60s work and Breathless.

anthropology
linguistics
lit

Ancient Philosophy
Law and Morality
Introduction to Ethics
Freedom, Responsibility, and Human Action
Minds and Machines
Introduction to Continental Philosophy
Philosophy of Human Sexuality
Human Nature
Modern Symbolic Logic

none
college is for losers

None, because I graduated already.

>making coffee 101

>what is law school

nigger I'm 27

Good luck finding a job.

Math, a class about war in slavic literature, a class about immigrants in America, and a course about the history of the Middle East

So am I. Why didn't you go to grad school?

Wh-what is law school

nigger I'm 27

wtf is grad school. I never did any schooling after highschool.

Economic history before the industrial revolution.
Economic history during and after the industrial revolution.
A 15 credits paper.

Feels good man.

nigger im 25

starting 2nd masters degree

math/stat masterrace

I was in an advanced math program in high school that got me through calculus 3 by junior year but I didn't really enjoy so I stopped then

I'm likely to leave my PhD program with a master's by next summer. Biochemistry research isn't my thing, I found out. I will be a paid TA for a few years while I figure out what I want to do, but I'll be writing some novels while I'm a TA

>digital techniques (circuits and logics)
>linear algebra and calculus ll
>physics 3 (EM)
>Natural Resources conservation (Or listen to the vegan teacher preaching why you should be a vegan and also conservation ecology for STEMretards )
Being a STEMfag is shit because:
1. Shit m8s. My classmates are the stereotypical STEMtards.
2. The beginning of the course is 110% shit classes

>My classmates are the stereotypical STEMtards.
Something about judging a man based on the people he keeps around him

Taking philosophy classes (1st sem.)
1. Philosophy (introduction)
2. Formal Logic
3. Terminology
4. Political Science
5. 1 foreign language

I don't walk with them nor am friends with them. Only a couple, the more weird ones.(Weird in the sense of not being STEMtards). My friends are from other courses.

Proverb of the day:

"You are the average of the people you surround yourself with!" :^)

I was merely ribbing, friend

>surround myself with no people
>average of zero is zero
>I have become nothing
>I am one with everything and everything is nothing

Le 道 faec

No user, if you surround yourself with no people you are a literal nobody!

You know that "zero to hero" song? You are a zero!

Literary theory (Graduate)
Shakespeare II
Writing pedagogy (Graduate)
Writing tutor training
Thesis
Research assistantship

Thank goodness for my friends on Veeky Forums

>Advanced Value Theory

jelly

I wish I were better at it. You don't really see beyond its instrumental value as a humanities student until it's far too late.

cs - machine learning, ai, project electives
english - milton, idk yet
?? - classical chinese philosophy

This is a great proverb because, interpreted statistically, it is tautological. The characteristics of the average person in a (sufficiently large) group of people is the average of the characteristics of the members of that group.

Put that chromossome back where you found it

Differential equations, electromagnetism for physicists, and French 1001. They're all pretty great so far.

>post-colonialism

DONT DO IT user, SIGN UP FOR A DIFFERENT LITERATURE COURSE, BUT POST-COLONIALISM IS FUCKING CANCER.

i study math

Media Writing
Literacy Through Literature
Educational Pedagogy and Theory
Existentialism
Elements of Style
Modern English Grammar

Philosophy history 101
Contemporary Philosophy
Examen facultatum
Existentialism and aesthetics