Oxford World's Classics

Hello, fellow Veeky Forumszens. I'd like your help, please.

Which are some books published under the Oxford World's Classics label that are better editions than the ones from its peers or simply the best from the series? I'm thinking of buying the related one and one more, because these books are not cheap here in Brazil (but this week they're cheaper than the normal for some unknown reason).

If you like the Norton Critical editions more I understand and actually agree with you, but unfortunately they are not being sold at our Amazon with a fair price (to give an idea, one could buy 3 OWC with the price of a single Norton Critical), so it has to be Oxford for me.

To help on the possible suggestions, I love the "extras" in books, especially footnotes/commentaries in general and essays.

As a thank you for anyone able to help, ask for a book and I'll search and bring it for you from Bibliotik (if it's there, obviously).

Other urls found in this thread:

u.pomf.is/qvbmdp.epub
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'll vouch for the quality of Oxford's pre-Socratics (first philosophers) edition and Hesiod's Theogony.

Duly noted. Both are available and the pre-Socratics one really caught my eye.
Thank you.

I have the Oxford versions of all of Joyce's work and I love them. The spines are shit though, you have to be sort of careful to break them in properly. Ultimately I like modern library paperbacks more.

Do Modern Library editions usually have more extras than the Oxford ones, or is your preference based more on the overall physical quality of the books (better binding, design etc)?

I'd like the Oxford World Classic's version, but why the fuck did they choose the 1922 text? Joyce revised it cause it was full of errors....

Oxford seems to have more extras, which for me are essential to understanding Ulysses, but modern library's actual physical design is my favorite. If you don't need notes I would suggest modern library but also just look at the book description because they'll tell you about the extras. I tend to just go with what sounds the best, I don't usually choose based off of who's printing it.

Ya that's the one silly thing about it, there are corrections in the end notes but I do wish they just implemented them into the text. It does however feel sort of novel that your reading a scan of the first edition, sort of...

The OWC the karamazov brothers has the best (imo, based on the 3 I've read) translation.

Huh. So do i. Kinda wish id gotten penguin classics (not deluxe) dubliners though. And I might buy a different version of Ulysses because the OWC is the 1922, for comparison/rereading

Ya I think on a re-read I might grab a corrected edition (possibly gablers unless someone would like to convince me otherwise) and read it alongside annotated Ulysses or some other extensive notes. At the end of the day though I am loving the Oxford worlds classics edition.

I own this book -- it's worth what I paid for it

The content is good but I didn't really have use for the variations in translation

They're decent. Have Leviathan and several works of Plato. Like others say they're not the /best/ physical quality but the introductory content and annotations are well-done.

Most of the (insert author) Major Works are good, working copies to let get beat up.

I like the OUP Dubliners and Portrait of the Artist. Solid notes, size, and cover art (if u care about that).

The Golden Ass translation has some decent extras although it has a horrible notation system

>the karamazov brothers

Yes, a superior translation. The only reason to stay with the brothers karamazov is to stay with garnett's tradition.

Oxford almost always seems to have way more notes than ML, and from the handful of MLs I've read, they have almost no intros (maybe 5-10 pages compared to 20-30+ for OUP).

Actually some OUP have arguably too many notes. Maybe they're more useful for fiction, but, for a nonfiction example, the OUP copy of Tacitus' Agricola & Germania is like 90 pages of content and 40 pages of notes. Absolutely absurd ratio. Also they're all endnotes, which personally I hate.

I have the Oxford Editions of
Walden
Divine Comedy
+ Finnegans Wake
all v gd

Get Norton's from book depository.

Thank you, guys. I'm still quite in doubt about which book to pick, but at least I know they're worth the price now. Especially for what () said, that's exactly what I expected of the series.

Here's a little something I found at Bib and that's not on LibGen yet (they only have the PDF). I think it's nice, hope you enjoy too:

>Late Victorian Gothic Tales (Oxford World's Classics)
u.pomf.is/qvbmdp.epub

>The Victorian fin de siècle: the era of Decadence, The Yellow Book, the New Woman, the scandalous Oscar Wilde, the Empire on which the sun never set. This heady brew was caught nowhere better than in the revival of the Gothic tale in the late Victorian age, where the undead walked and evil curses, foul murder, doomed inheritance and sexual menace played on the stretched nerves of the new mass readerships. This anthology collects together some of the most famous examples of the Gothic tale in the 1890s, with stories by Arthur Conan Doyle, Vernon Lee, Henry James and Arthur Machen, as well as some lesser known yet superbly chilling tales from the era. The introduction explores the many reasons for the Gothic revival, and how it spoke to the anxieties of the moment.