You have read the Summa, right Veeky Forums? Don't tell me you skipped the greatest theological work to ever exist...

You have read the Summa, right Veeky Forums? Don't tell me you skipped the greatest theological work to ever exist. not including the Holy Bible of course

I would guess that I've read more of the summa than anyone else on this board. somewhere between 40 - 60 pct of it.

I fell hard for the Dante memes.

Augustine > Aquinas
Augustine carried forward the Neo-Platonic tradition to Christianity that we still bask in the light of.

This

No, it's very dry and long and the biggest problem is, unwieldy. It's really hard to carry it around and I mostly read during study breaks at my college.
I've read parts of it, some 600 pages and Feser, MacIntyre and Kreeft on him so I'm familiar with a lot of his ideas.
I've read Augustine way before the point where my understanding of philosophical texts was sufficient so I didn't get much out of the City of God.

Does Kreeft's Summa of the Summa count?

Aquinas is an imitation of Ibn Sina, and Ibn Arabi is preferable anyway.

I would like to, and then author a book destroying him, and entitle it "The Failures of Thomas"

to all you faggots who are about to fall for this meme and spend hudnreds acquiring all volumes, read compendium of theology first. if his ideas dont interest you there then move on

Augustine is pretty great. I read a decent chunk of the City of God in college, didn't understand any of it. Now that I'm older and more literate and more devout, I need to go back and read it again.

Aquinas is also great, though. The De Malo is my favorite of his works, or at least the one I've read the most of.

I feel like while fairly obscure, pic-related is a pretty good way to ease into theological/theologically philosophical works. Pretty digestable and introduced me to the format before I started easing into the Confessions.

Aquinas knew Augustine and the neo-platonists better than you do.

This is a great collection of Anselm's works, if you want to get into the scholastics.

I'd also recommend some other, shorter works by Aquinas, I feel like he gets judged solely on the Summa. Read On Being and Essence & On Truth, and also try his commentaries on Aristotle.

great works of theology always remind me of children arguing if superman could beat son goku, or if the Flash is faster than Lord Frieza.

good example: Jubilate Agno, by Christopher Smart

I skipped that book and the bible because I'm not interested in faggot shit

Dude like 3 people in the entire world have read the Summa and one of them was Aquinas. I grant you that it's one of the greatest works of Western civilization, and I consult it all the time, but it's named "the SUM of Theology" for a reason.

"On The Principle of Nature" is also great, and a really good introductory piece to both Aquinas and Aristotle for people new to them.

Clearly somebody in the Church has read it, since they base so much doctrine on it to this day.

>mfw

Also, his name is "Avicenna," idiot. You don't write fucking "Αριστοτελης" when you're talking about Aristotle, do you?

Ibin Sina was his name, but Avicenna is his latinized name.
He wasn't half of the philosopher Aquinas was, that's for sure, but that's not the point.
By now there are so many collections of Aquinas that most people who do read him don't take the 15000 pages of his total writings and go through it all. There are general questions of importance and its systemised so you can pick the chapters of interest.

I've read The Shorter Summa (not too thoroughly).

But that's not fear and trembling

What are you, a high schooler?

I bet you don't even irrationally make meaning you pleb fuck.

Pelagius > Augustine

You might as well read a book on phlogiston theory or alchemy.

Of course I don't, I'm not a fideist.

The shit monkeys say. As if they can't into self-reflection.

sm alien overlord h.

*tips*

I ain't reading straw nigga

I know your mum better than you do

I read the little summa, does that count

Being the greatest theological work is like being the shiniest, most green pile of diarrhea on the floor of a public toilet.

The failure of Thomas, or the triumph I guess you could say, is that christian theology has not really advanced since him. Modern theologians mostly re-phrase his thinking while obfuscating that the entire house of cards rests on the same Aristotelian foundation.

>He wasn't half of the philosopher Aquinas was