What are some jobs you can get with a degree in english or comparative literature...

What are some jobs you can get with a degree in english or comparative literature? They don't have to be entirely related.
>inb4 STEM

Bump because I'm majoring in Comp Lit and am starting to get anxious. Staying in academia sounds comfy though

Really? 49% unemployment rate sounds comfy? I've also considered academia, but it sounds pretty hellish out there

I used to be an English major until I realized I was wasting my money. Seriously, why bother? If you want to get a job, you're in the wrong major.

Just look for jobs that just want a degree in nothing specific. A lot of sales, entry level stuff in insurance companies. Local newspapers, then use the experience to springboard bigger, but that industry is in some trouble, but is digitizing so it may be fine. A friend of mine got a good job grant writing for a while.

The best thing you can do is find yourself an internship with a company while you're still in school, even if it is barely related.

Grad school for the purpose of something other than staying in academia could work. I know a few people who are doing library sciences. You won't make big STEM meme bux, but if it'll make you happy, neato. You can also apply to law school if you feel like you need to make a lot of money to be happy.

Getting a job is becoming more and more unrelated to your degree. But it's useful anyway. Shows that you're responsible enough to attend classes and do your homework.

I was obviously referring to being in the 51%, silly goose

>english or comparative literature
A.k.a. "yeah, I'm currently open for all opportunities, this is just a temporary gig" degree. What the fuck were you thinking? What were your parents thinking? Do you have college debt?

If you studied the humanities and didn't go to a top 10-15 college you basically fucked yourself over

if you can stop talking about postmodernism long enough, you can make reasonable dollars sucking cock under the tables at nightclubs.

Being an adjunct hanging on by a thread?

It's like a sticker that says you're middle class and not completely retarded. The new high school diploma.

Flipping burgers

That's me, but I had to go all the way through the doctorate even to get that. A BA in English tells employers you're literate and have no useful skills beyond that. AN MA is utterly useless except as needed to get into a doctorate. The PhD is utterly worthless, unless you're top of your class and have been publishing and making connections since your 4th year. Even then, the job sucks and demands insane amounts of unpaid work (writing, publishing, reviewing, admin). Become a medical doctor at all costs, even if it takes you 15 years.

use patriciandom to attract a sexy nurse with big titties
get shit job anywhere and combine money with sexy nurse
don't have kids
now you have $100,000 a year

I decided out of high school to focus on literature and creative writing. I go to a liberal arts school so I'm getting an English degree through creative writing and hopefully becoming a teacher out of college. While I'm traching, I plan on getting my masters which can help me become a professor. I'll be content being a professor while I try to write.

i have an english degree and im currently at a hedge fund pulling 300k/yr

protip: degree literally doesnt matter

I work as an editor of a magazine so probably that
but I got a degree in math

Just don't have kids.

While this can happen, you should have a degree from a feeder school to do this. No way is some guy from their random state university going the analyst > hedge fund or PE route.

wall street recruits plenty from certain state schools senpai

McDonalds

How does one go about becoming an analyst with a lit degree?

By spending your summers at grueling internships that work you 12+ hours a day. Or by having a dad who runs a hedge fund.

more like top 2-3 now that humanities departments are shrinking

Like where, Berkeley, UCLA, and UVA? Give me a break. No way is some dude from the University of Idaho or something getting anywhere near a hedge fund.

How do you secure those internships with a lit degree in the first place?

I have an English degree, and i'm in advertising sales. It's good for sales because it's all about keeping an open dialogue with people, and really reading into what they want. Plus, you are constantly emailing; people will respect you more if you can write properly.

And, if you studied Shakespeare, having a knowledge of iambic pentameter is great for your phone sell.

yawn

Start in back office role and work toward CFA, or MSF... Former is preferable though

Just leverage buzzwords and hope for an interview. Back office jobs aren't hard to get and if you get in network while continuing your education. There was a legendary analyst on our fixed income team (power) that was a lit/drama major.

my organic chemistry classes helped my writing more than any of my creative writing workshops. this was also the same for my critical thinking course.

Humanities, especially language, are area that makes an endless circle of formation and professionalism, they graduate students to be in the academia, to became teachers, to graduate more students that will become more teacher.

Its not too bad bad if that is what you want, but if you want to get a good job outside this circle you will need luck and contacts, so you better train those social skills

Getting a decent stem major will aways be the better option for our current society structure

Results found:
None

As long as you're smart, there's plenty to do with a degree in humanities. I majored in classics studies and now I work in finance, earning over $90,000 a year.

History and Political Science (double meming) for law here. I was going to go criminal litigator but might go corporate non-litigator because I'm Catholic and want a large meme family that will live comfily

You can move to Japan or Korea and become an English teacher.
Teach yourself jap and try reading some Japanese novels while you're there.
Actually reading a novel in Japanese for the first time was a very interesting experience for me.

There are plenty of jobs that only care about you having a degree, not what the degree is about. Think about what you want to work in and find that kind of job in that area.

Any job where they need a dude that writes decently, which is something they need in pretty much all companies.