Most philosophy seems to channel confusion instead of understandment

Most philosophy seems to channel confusion instead of understandment,
why is this?

ur dum

Unlike the sciences, philosophy does not aim to be beneficial or elucidating.

Then what's the point?

>understandment
Is this a Hegelian term?

Anyway, nowadays it does because it's focused on deconstruction, same as any other type of modern discourse. A huge bulk of philosophy is still about constructing rather than deconstructing meaning if you're into that.

Humans aren't capable of understanding the realm beyond the material, so they justify it through channeling their confusion.

>A huge bulk of philosophy is still about constructing rather than deconstructing meaning if you're into that.

Care to explain?

>Humans aren't capable of understanding the realm beyond the material

Why would you claim our understanding of that which isn't material (OK, let's say "ideas" but you can use any other dualist buzzword of your choice) is any less clear than our understanding of the material?

There's plenty of discourse on both and plenty of doubts as well.

There is no point. What has philosophy contributed to the world? Nothing.

>Care to explain?

I mean past philosophical discourses that aimed at affirming supreme principles such as divinity, reason or purpose rather than deconstruct them. Not saying they're inherently more valuable, but you said you want "channeled understandment" so read like Hobbes or Plato or Descartes or some shit.

Lol.

Actually I was wrong. Nietzsche and Marx did contribute: one by creating Nazism the other by creating Communism.
But it wasn't exactly beneficial. In fact it was extremely painful.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be sure to do that

he meant understandination, obviously.

Lol.

You think the killing of millions is funny?

The Greeks would shit all over you for this.

Philosophy has always been the synthesis of concepts, not the analysis of "the world."

>You think the killing of millions is funny?
Absurdity is pretty funny my dude desu

But he was probably laughing at your notion that philosophers somehow spawn ideologies like it's their natural ability or some shit.

some philosophy*

(American and continental)

>Absurdity is pretty funny my dude desu
Yes I agree it is why I write satirical and (meta?)absurd comments.
>that philosophers somehow spawn ideologies like it's their natural ability or some shit.
Well they often do, only philosophers like Kant hardly do.

I am disappointed of not having a philosopher dictatorship i.e. that of Plato and it going wrong. Picture very related (the non-white science man's idea of Rationalia).

Also still waiting for New Atheism to spawn political parties. All it did was spawn euphoria and perhaps gave some ideas to the right and reactionary and contrarian ideas on the left (right hates Islam, so we embrace Islam and so on and so on).

It's bad philosophy + communication is tough

we don't need Tyson as the US President to have a dictatorship of utility and scientific expertise. It's been around for quite a while. The meme atheists are really irrelevant. They only became a thing after 9/11 made Americans scared of brown people so some centrists subscribed to the whole "religion can be pretty fucked up yo" scheme: They're gonna die out in this reactionary climate tho.

>It's been around for quite a while
Evidence-based policymaking only really starts with Tony Blair.

>Tony Blair
I've gathered that Tony Blair similarly as Bush was motivated to start the Iraq incident because of faith.

>understandment

Because the humanities and social sciences do not teach you any answers. They verse you in tired discussions.

Iraq is a different story, it's really about Saudi Arabia and the petrodollar

We have this thread EVERY DAY.

The same subjects are being discussed over and over again.
Hence I suggested to have another Veeky Forums with a robot i.e. certain topics will not be discussable. But I got several angry comments because of it.

I personally would like more original content.

Exactly

git gud

The fact that you're asking for a point is the problem. Not everything needs to contribute to a surplus of consumer goods and human comfort to be worthwhile. (which is why science and economics so privileged over other realms of thought)

Thought and argument and knowledge for their own sake are okay in the eyes of philosophy.

I can't grasp how thought and argument and knowledge for their own sake don't lead to more efficiency

>I can't grasp how considering and thinking about a thing by itself wouldn't lead to a something else unrelated from that original thing

How dense are you?

Efficiency doesn't need correct decisions. However, a proper discourse might improve the quality of the decisions.

Editing myself here, I didn't read the whole thread, so my comment might fall a bit short of the context.

Can we get this changed to the way he actually says 'my god'.

>Efficiency doesn't need correct decisions
wtf how?

Still improves the efficiency of the other thing.

But maybe this is just me believing that time passing can't make the '''world''' go backwards, even if it goes for a period of time it has to be considered it had to be like that to evolve properly in the future.
Never understood entropy.

Philosophy is like mental masturbation, its fun to think about it for the first couple of years of experiencing it you are being challenged on a whole new level and you are confused and want to find answers and so on. But sooner or later like masturbation you end up un fulfilled and disappointed. Anyone who has studied philosophy for a very long time knows how pointless it is and understands that they went down the road of philosophy knowing this. I've studied this shit since i was a autistic 12 year old. Went from the typical basic bitch eastern philosophy to the overly complex western philosophies. Its truly useless and the only function of it is to reflect and thin about the current world and explain it on a logical level. Grasping and getting ideologies and their origins of them is another use of it which is why a lot of philosophers become cynical. And the fact that something theoretical will never give you understanding of anything unless you live eat and breath that thing.

The only intelligent people ITT

This is proof philosophy doesn't make you smarter.
Christ, you're an embarrassment.

Oh my bad i forgot that only true intellectuals and intelligent people studied philosophy. My bad man. YO can you just like pull out your cock for me and let me suck it? Because i am just a idiotic neanderthal. I'll make sure to never post here again about philosophy because i am just such an idiot

exactly

Yea let me go changed my statement to that of a true intellectual.
Philosophy is a tool.
am i allowed into your rhetoric based group? because man i just want to be smart and fit in

Sigh. This is by far the dumbest thing I've heard here this year.

>wtf how
You hold up the machinery. it's better to be effective and calculate for some "waste".

Or "correct" decisions in a more philosophical sence might include ethics, and well, your boss doesn't care about your moral convictions.

Eat shit normie

I second this. Philosophy in modern times seems to exist more for the purpose of inflating an ego than to even question a notion. It's like people who spend their whole lives trying to find out what comes after death. You won't find the answer until you get there...

Why don't you actually use the things you've studied to try and come out of it with your own well-defined philosophy on something?

Most prominent philosophers read a bunch of philosophy and then provided their own spin, some of these were incredibly influential, particularly political philosophies.

Obviously just absorbing information won't be as satisfying as creating something worthwhile out of all that work.

Although some basic courses in Philo might actually enhance learning ability and socialization skills. Even people who think they are open minded tend to find out how conceited they are once they've taken a 101.

Oh fucking i'm awful at writing as you can tell and i can give you fucking 10 ways of bullshitting the reason to why i wouldn't do it but it always comes back to the one fact that i cannot shake from my head. Which is that i don't think anyone will read it or want to read it and it will be trash.

Good. That's how any writer or philosopher should think. It's always shit and it could always be better.

I cannot help but agree but even then what the fuck would it be about. Like their is so much shit and would it be relevant to anything. I think i just need to get some fucking balls and just fucking do it some time

>Which is that i don't think anyone will read it or want to read it and it will be trash.

Then do it for yourself, and your own clarity of thought. If you can publish your work and get it read that's a bonus.

Man, Descartes spends page after trying to figure out if the world is real and if he really exists. All that writing and debating and at the end of the day he proved existence with three Latin words "ergo cognito sum".

"cogito ergo sum"
Before someone starts shit posting I'll correct myself

Yea i will, thanks for the support guys. I'll start thinking about what the book will be about tomorrow.

correct thinking creates facts by itself, thus facts have only immediate value.

incorrect thinking inhibits facts. channeling uncertainty at it therefore assists in the acquisition of facts.

>Nietzsche and Marx did contribute: one by creating Nazism the other by creating Communism.
>nietzsche
>created nazism

this is either the worst bait i've seen here in a long time or you're actually stupid enough to believe this in which case you should consider putting an end to the huge pile of retarded garbage that is your existence.

>getting baited this hard

They might, but that 'efficiency' isn't necessarily the priority. Many metaphysical arguments probably don't give much in the way of material benefit.

philosophy gave us science ;^))))

ITT: americans trying to justify their lack of attention span

Science studies the objective. Philosophy studies the subjective, which is just emotions.

My bait is better as yours. Try harder.

Not getting mad at Marx part. Maybe you should kill youre self desu

Yep you are right it was actually Schopenhauer who created Nazism and Nietzsche was only a small part.

Much of philosophy is about challenging existing understandinisement, so that we can better learn the right questions to ask in order to understandoodle ourselves as thinking men.

>understandment

Wew lad

I think it is a beautiful word, Shakespeare allegedly introduced new words to the English too, so what gives?

What?

This is legitimately not true.

All of you who think like this are just shit dumb when it comes to applying your ""knowledge""*.

--------
*It is open for debate whether it actually counts as knowledge if you're unable to apply it to a problem you're facing.

Politics, society, laws, culture, etc.

And you have autism.

>things don't have to meet most generous definition of worthwhile to be worthwhile
Ahahahaha lmao so you think you should live off taxes and stare at your belly button all day?
I'm sure most homeless heroin addicts would agree with you there.

Philosophy is about sitting on your ass and using big words that don't mean anything. Did it ever do anything good for humanity?
That why i love Science. I'l take my undeniable cold hard facts over your pointless mumbo jumbo any day of the week.
t. CS major

fuck yeah
philosophy is fucking gay its literally just gang signs over shared mythology.
everything is numbers and those numbers equal cash.
always be closing fuckers.
ab fucking c.

Because natural language and our interpretation and usage of it is a derailed clusterfuck of slippery slopes and cognitive dissonance.

If you seek understandenings then stop languageing. It's that easy.

High level sciences do the same for many. Any advanced field is going to do this.

Except that science at least managed to disprove phlogiston

Meanwhile, theory of forms

Have you read any philosophy? A tremendous amount of it has been dropped over time.

lmao. being this ill-informed

There are perfectly non-idiotic words that serve its function, and Shakespeare would write these things intentionally rather than being the result of subsisting on cheetos.