Overrated bullshit general

ITT we post books that are overrated bullshit.

Pic related. As high school-tier as any other book, but somehow gets praised heaped on it

The prose is sarcastic and juvenile. The humor is Abbott and Costello "who's on first?" bullshit that goes nowhere, repeated over and over again. The theme is literally something I would think is thought-provoking in ninth grade: "The, like, meaninglessness of war!"

Basically one of the most adolescent books that has ever been considered a classic.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8CX635nXMf4
commentarymagazine.com/articles/the-pevearsion-of-russian-literature/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is this a new meme?

the book is basically a reddit meme

The Greeks are absolutely overrated and continue to perpetuate misconceptions about the world.

>The, like, meaninglessness of war!
How do you get that as the only theme? What about all the Kafkaesque stuff?

You're not even trying now.

i'd love to see the mature adult things that you read
guess i'm falling for the bait here

just finished this, faggotron

idiot

I'm a hundred pages in and it's given me some chuckles but does an actual plot ever emerge?

Yes.

Fucklord

>P+V
Shame, as it's a nice cover.

The entire point is that the silly shit in the first two-thirds of the book seems innocuous then it suddenly gets real in a major way. Characters start dying, killing, raping, burning, and shifting to much darker versions of themselves, especially Milo.

BANANAS LOL

yes please spend 6 pages characterizing your sick grandmother and another 10 describing your local church in excruciating detail. i love it

trip dubs mean I'm right. don't argue with me

Oh, it's you again. I have trouble believing you aren't in ninth grade.

All of Kafka

Veeky Forums has to shit all over every fun book I've read

Just let me have this one

>having fun

Checked, but that church passage was hella dank

Not a book but I want to share this sweet video.

youtube.com/watch?v=8CX635nXMf4

I saw Dan Schneider (a man who claims to be the greatest writer ever) had a video interview with- and praised this person.

>it's another "war sucks because you might die" book

We get it, you're anti-nationalistic scum. Dismissed.

t. A fat neckbeard who would piss his pants if he were ever near half of the shit those authors went through

I never made any claims about myself. I would rather abandon my country then die. But I also wouldn't write a book about it, because it's just whining. Where are the books about people who fought for something they believed in? Every war book is just about fear of dying, and not giving a shit about your country.

>the p&v are bad meme!

kys

>thinks p&v being bad is a meme
kek you can't make this shit up

Not a meme, friend. For all I know they might be amazing at Dostoyevsky or Tolstoy, but that Bulgakov translation is legitimately painful to read.

Can someone explain the hate P&V get on here? I read some of their translations of Dostoevsky and they seemed fine. A lot of people even heralded their translations as the best translations out there. Is it just Veeky Forums hating what's popular?

Personally I perpetuate it because, like I said, I read their M+M and a lot of it just felt horribly written.

But there's a more general critical article here:
commentarymagazine.com/articles/the-pevearsion-of-russian-literature/

They definitely also have defenders, though.

Strange, I never found P&V's translations stale or whatever. I feel that this article displays a broader discussion in translating though. The discussion about retaining tone and meaning as oppose to directly translating the work or even rewriting (or omitting) parts of a work and which one is better is one that has been raging on for decades, if not centuries.

>Zeno's Paradox is considered esoteric high philosophy
In case you haven't noticed, "high" anything is all bullshit. There is a certain limit that things reach and it's usually college level; only practical knowledge like astrophysics and advanced chemistry reach university level. It's all hot air. The finest art, the finest literature, the finest film; these are all only at a certain, achievable, human level. The point is that the message is the true value; and kind of like how children can dismantle religion with a few questions, the simpler is usually better.

>caring about your country
Your spooks are showing

I've read P&V's Notes from Underground and the Brothers Karamazov and they were fine, but is right, their translation of the Master and Margarita is unreadable.

Dan Schneider? Didn't he have some kind of funny nickname? Can anyone help me out?

>reading

Sorry bub, but you need to be a member of the military to fully understand this masterpiece. I was triggered to high heaven and it really made me question those appointed over me.

Anyone who mentions bananas with gr never read past the beginning

Black Diogenes

>not caring about where you live

I guess cleaning your room is a spook too.

Uhh I think it was

>Dan "Two Inches Wider" Schneider

>not appreciating the sublime depression of a fallen Rome and Snowden's spagphetti guts

First half is alright but then it gets batshit

Sorry kid, not fun allowed

>he cleans his room
You aren't living the literary lifestyle

Nice to have support, cheers- and also good to know that M+M isn't necessarily indicative of their abilities. What went so wrong with their M+M, though? I remember some nice passages (landscape description in the Jesus bits), but most of it really was hard going- the dialogue especially, IIRC.

The characters in Catch-22 were fighting on behalf of their country but they weren't fighting to save it. Where's the nationalist self-preservation in that?

if you read this, skip book two, it's entirly unnecessary.

book two was the best part you dumb faggot

How does it compare to Dostoyevsky's later works ?

What about the bananas in the part with the chimpanzees ?

>not reading the moncrieff translation

You should read the Tartar Steppe next, that one will really trigger you

Wait a sec did pynchon talk about bananas at the start of gr because theyre curved and thus like the parabola of the rocket/life/the narrative etc or am I talking out my ass

I agree that there wasn't. What I want to see is a book where characters fight in a war because they want to, and don't complain about it.

Milo is the best

read spergler then you autist.