You're all well-read, balanced and thoughtful individuals

You're all well-read, balanced and thoughtful individuals.

What is your opinion on this man?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jy47dgjMk-A
youtube.com/watch?v=Tt19Vp9uBiQ
youtube.com/watch?v=EOWCzFYkmHs
youtube.com/watch?v=7VE2VVbpZ7w
youtube.com/watch?v=2X93u3anTco
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_Gottfried#September_11_joke
soundcloud.com/timheidecker/i-am-a-cuck
neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1269930
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

good lad

>lit
>well read
>balanced
>well read
>thoughtful
>lit
>well read

He is very funny and generally intelligent but also has a smug superiority about him that gives me the same kind of impression as the tumblrites he shits all over, which is hilarious, dont get me wrong, but in the segments where he is being mostly unironic he just sounds like an edgy alt-righter, admittedly a high functioning one.

Eric Andre is better desu. I see people shit on him but to me he seems to have a very similar sense of humor to Sam Hyde but with more self awareness and less smugness. The Eric Andre Show is the perfect anti-late night show parody of talk television.

yeah that's great but what do you think people did before ladders?

his written rants are his strongest point meaning the book should be good

>There's nothing more important than personal happiness in this life.
But that's true.

also top kek at sam hyde being mad at people who only make films and art and music. what the fuck does he do

You know after the first season, none of the guests had any idea what they were getting into. Many of them stormed out genuinely angry and disgusting. They humiliate third rate celebrities who think theyre important and were sent to the show by their agent thinking it would be an average talk show. Fucking brilliant.

spreads /pol/ memes to a wider audience of youtube shitposters, i mean ensures the survival of the white race

He's a new revolution in comedy.

He's the real New Sincerity.

I really like what he's doing with Irony/Meta-Irony too.

new season of eric andre sucks ass my man
None of these anti-late night shows can hold a candle to what chris morris did to bbc back in the day.
Wish comedy would step its game up already

He is being very provocative with his TV show, but it's starting to work against him since the media pigs have decided to try to cancel him.

Sam makes fun of himself all the time
though he believes his work has value

quality not quantity

i alwyas thought this critique was retarded

his bashing of "hedonism" and talk of serving something when the rest of the time he's calling people out for not fulfilling their own lives and taking their own paths

whatever

I hope youre wrong I havent seen it yet. I will be very disappointed if this is true

The epitome of a loser

Something triggers me about the way you casually pass off info taken from his talk with The Needle Drop. But it shouldn't should it.

he has a tv show and a book coming out

Sam doesn't take himself seriously, you fucking dolt. How could he?

He's operating at levels of irony and self-deprecation you can scarcely imagine.

He has "interesting" ideas but needs to work on his execution.
Sometimes he comes off as sincerely mean-spirited, and it kinda makes me uncomfortable, but is ok, it feels like an auto-critic, i think thats his strongest point.
I dont completly share his agenda but i respect it, is hard to tell when is just his art or his real beliefs.
a vapid slut with an ukelele is hardly a musician.
What I dont understand is his super hate against RISD, some of the stuff he learned there most be being used with his current work.
Of course it was big money, but everyone knows education is a scam for most people.

Reminiscent of that superiority complex + sense of humor cocktail that alternative writer types pick up on in high school. Vaguely empty or at the very least superficially political jokes that try to piggyback on biting wisecracks. Wrapped in so many layers of irony that at any stage during which critics are trying to peel through them he can stop, hold out his hand, and say "I was just pretending to be retarded."

Literally who

Eric Andre? Is this bait? That guy is the worst. Sam Hyde makes memes, Eric Andre makes autism.

niggers tongue my anus

And the fact that despite these "achievements" he is still inescapably himself (a loser) makes his condition even worse.

Is THIS bait?

Some of Eric Andre skits went downhill for me. Such as ranch it up and bird up. Really killed it.
On another note, world peace is great so far.

>I don't know what cognitive dissonance means because MGMT never wrote a song about it

DAMN
A
M
N

That's qutie good.

He's making money pandering to bitter, alienated beta males, so he's not as stupid as I thought.

His humor is too bitter, sarcastic, and hipster-ironic for me, though. The rare bit or gag makes me chuckle, but I feel too disgusted later to revisit, or recommend it to anyone. 3/10.

he needs to be banished from the realm, along with all other jokesters

Eric Andre is pretty shit 2bh. Watch any of his stand-up and you'll see that 95% of his act is his "I don't give a fuck if I'm being funny I'm fucking alt comedy fuck you for seeing me" attitude and maybe 5% is jokes.

I've laughed at a couple of the skits on his show (before it just became lazy) but the video that really soured me on him was this
youtube.com/watch?v=jy47dgjMk-A

I'm really not very sympathetic to Breitbart, but watching him interrupt these people in the style of super epic trolls like Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart and anybody else with the original idea of "crashing" the RNC, and then watching as the people he was "trolling" were more derisive and witty than he was just made it apparent that he didn't have very much talent. If any amateur can get the better of him with such little effort and interest, if any amateur can land more intelligent jokes than him and more often, then what exactly can he do?

I gave you the benefit of the doubt, you should stumble back to /r/Veeky Forums.

I get that the people he's describing are annoying as fuck, but why fixate on them? Why just sit on the sidelines and criticize your culture? That seems like a move for someone too cowardly to participate in it.

/thread

Some people get upset with him because of his political opinions. I've never cared much about that. I feel like if someone considers themselves to be "tolerant" and "accepting" they should take the time to tolerate and accept things that might offend them. Or at least laugh at them. Because they're funny.

>Because they're funny.
agreed with you up until this

for laughs

He shits on hipsters and he's pretty funny while doing it, but his opinions and writing is /pol/ tier, so overall he's a disappointment.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by any amateur
Not every bit goes well, I agree the Breitbart bit did poorly, his standup sucks, his crashing the alex jones rally got a shitload of funny out of minutes of engagement
the Eric Andre Show is a good venue for his sense of humor and puts to use his talent and the talent of a lot of other people to make something interesting and funny.
Bird Up the episode got annoying at times
But it's still a pretty damn good prank show

I don't think many people would disagree that Eric Andre's show is better, although lots of people on Veeky Forums seem to like Sam Hyde. I've seen some MDE videos on you-tube that I thought were funny, but it really doesn't work well on adult swim. I find it hard to watch.

That being said eric andre show is hit and miss. Some skits are just bad. He's at his best when he is pulling out his dick and jacking off during the interviews with unsuspecting guests.

But if there's no alternative, why critique?

And if there is an alternative, why isn't Sam just advocating for that instead?

Maybe it's just tragic because he knows his culture is shit, but he lacks the talent or ambition to do anything about it.

Still wondering if it's all smoke and irony or if there's something more to his shtick
Loved his latest interview with buzzfeed

I was listening to Eric Andre's interview on Howard Stern. Obviously his style of comedy isn't an act full of jokes and laughs. Eric said that for his show each interview he does is an hour and a half long and he edits it down to 3 minutes of the funny stuff. He said pretty much all of it is painfully awkward. This is why i'm not surprised the Breitbart thing looks as bad as it does. His style works perfectly for his show where he can throw a bunch of random shit at the wall and then edit the best results together into a quick 15 minute time slot.

GO FUCK YOURSELF /mu/ & /tv/ GOD YOU ARE THE CANCER KILLING THIS BOARD

/pol/ and /r9k/ are also very potent forms of cancer.

Basically we need to create our own board somewhere else.

Sam Hyde is the eventual culmination of 8 years of a left-leaning government and the massive divide that culture, at least in the US, has produced. Just like a bunch of hip high-school kids post on Twitter, irony is what's in. And that's such a cop-out form of humor and communication when you start to weave in and out of ironical baiting statements and legitimate claims because people like Sam Hyde don't have a clear voice about where they stood in the first place. By dodging responsibility through this method all while shitting on the original group of people who might have been parodies of themselves and their ideas to begin with, what you end up with is a confusing mess of empty statements that might pull a chuckle out of you if you enjoy the turbulent chaotic nature of the universe or one of his "maybe ironic maybe not" statements appeals to you.

Tl;dr He's just Tim and Eric with less of a point and leaning to the right.

The only actually ballsy comedian I know of.

Other "edgy" comedians today would have been actually edgy 50-60 years ago but still pretend they're cutting edge now while fighting an imaginary status quo.

Going to events where you make inflammatory statements on purpose doesn't make you ballsy. It makes you one note and boring. It's shock humor and after seeing your 5th dead baby, the novelty wears off.

>Going to events where you make inflammatory statements on purpose doesn't make you ballsy.
I disagree

No, what you need to do is to accept that certain of the pessimistic and edgy premises which comprise the ethos of those boards, quite the opposite of a sickness, instead arise from an honest, reasonable appraisal of the world. That is, these premises of which I speak are, quite simply, the case. And then you need to modify your own personal worldview accordingly.

>Going to events where you make inflammatory statements on purpose doesn't make you ballsy.
sure it does

I don't wanna do that shit

He's an entertainer beholden to no one except his core fans. He can't be prosecuted as long as he doesn't fall into literal hate speech. He can sue for any other type of threats. What could possibly happen to him? He stirs up controversy? That's the lifeblood of an entertainer. As long as he doesn't bite the hand that feeds him, he is no danger at all. So no, it's not ballsy. It's just pigeonholing himself with his audience which means that his insulting schtick not only alienates him from other people, it actively turns them against him.

I've seen this pic before, when did Sam write this?

Thirding these guys. Yes it is so ballsy, by definition even, even if what you're actually doing isn't particularly funny, insightful, or even right. Note that I am not directly making any of the above pronouncements about Mr. Hyde's shtick, except to agree that it is by definition ballsy to intentionally make inflammatory statements in a particular venue, especially if you hazard being physically attacked as a result of what you're saying.

When John McClane wears the "I Hate Niggers" sign in the third Die Hard movie on a Harlem corner, that takes balls, even under police surveillance. "Courage", or confidence, is a distinct category from humor, intelligence, etc, and must be accounted as such. That the fictional character was doing this in order to reduce the risk of a terrorist attack does not diminish the courageousness of his act; quite the opposite, it could be argued to strengthen it.

WE ARE JUST GONNA KILL EM

It is when you're planning on making a tv show, shows have been cancelled for smaller things.
I'm amazed he even got one.
If he's not a ballsy comedian, please tell me, who is?

He isn't setting a precedent for ballsy behavior on fucking Adult Swim. They run Eric Andre and Tim and Eric, so Hyde's anti-comedy is nothing new.

Everything he does is literally hidden under the guys of "dude it's just a joke" and "dude i'm being ironic" so that he's free from even hardcore hatred if it gets to be too much for his feelings. Being a boring cunt to people and leaving yourself multiple outs doesn't make you courageous, it makes you someone who's trying to exploit one group of people for the amusement of the other.

Show me something Eric Andre and Tim and Eric did that is even on the same level as this:
youtube.com/watch?v=Tt19Vp9uBiQ
And you didn't answer my question, who is a ballsy comedian?

I think it's in here youtube.com/watch?v=EOWCzFYkmHs

You want a ballsy comedian? Gilbert Gottfried.
youtube.com/watch?v=7VE2VVbpZ7w
This was in 2001 shortly after 9/11 actually happened. Unlike Sam Hyde who has been mostly funded via things on the internet where he has no one above him, Gottfried is very entrenched in the Hollywood groups. Making a joke like this got him blacklisted for a while and was considered highly out of taste at the time. Going to some group and saying shitty things while being able to pull the "i'm just being ironic!" card isn't ballsy.

You don't think Sam would say something equally controversial if he was invited to a roast after a big tragedy?

He might, but it wouldn't have nearly the impact. A decade and a half of giving people anonymity on the internet to say whatever they want and having comedians like Daniel Tosh who thrive on being edgy has dulled everyone to actual shock humor. Pulling a joke that controversial in the days before everyone was used to horrible things being said "out loud" on the internet took some really serious guts.

Another example?
youtube.com/watch?v=2X93u3anTco
Yeah, this is later down the line as people had become accustomed to things and the jokes were softer, but he isn't making inflammatory statements about the gays to a bunch of easily offended college kids, he's mocking the President while literally within arm's reach of him. That's ballsy.

Wow that was really ballsy man, he said his name was Hasn't Bin-Laid! God damn steel balls on that guy.

I like sam hyde and eric andre. but both sides are too busy fighting each other when the main problem is hacks like h3h3,filthy frank and yt frauds are pulling way more money and views for washed down diet coke comedy of both of them
nah sam picks and chooses who he pisses off.

'Making fun of George Bush was the most common thing in the universe, it's not ballsy by any measure.
Weak examples my friend, I have to give you an F

You're both thinking about the examples in a vacuum. Joking about 9/11 now is seen as tame shock humor and the "Bush is dumb" thing might as well be a meme, but taken in context, it's intense. I doubt Sam Hyde would stand in front of a room of rich and well-connected people just days after the Sandy Hook shooting and make a joke about those kids getting shot. And imagine trying to make fun of Trump for 20 minutes while on stage with him. He'd probably have a serious Twitter tirade.

ITT: You can only like ONE ballsy comedian.

who's this guy and where do i check his stuff?

I agreed with you my man..

>it's intense.
Not even slightly intense.
Joking that your name is Hasn't Bin-Laid is not a 9/11 joke, it's an Arab joke that happens to be made after 9/11, it isn't ballsy.

>I doubt Sam Hyde would stand in front of a room of rich and well-connected people just days after the Sandy Hook shooting and make a joke about those kids getting shot.
Guess what?
No other comedian would do so either, not your ''ballsy'' Colbert or Godfried.
Go by what you know of Hyde now, and that is that at almost every opportunity he will say something actually shocking, not some lame name or making fun of a politician who got made fun of every day by every comedian like they do with Trump now.

9/11 jokes aren't on the same level of ballsy though. Gottfried can do a standup making jokes about 9/11, and the audience can be offended, but there is no uncertainty as to what Gottfried's opinions of the events must be. He's in complete agreement with the audience about how horrible and shocking the attacks were, he's just cracking a joke about it. So there's no real conflict there. When Sam does what he does, he's not just making statements that are inflammatory in the now, he's making them in front of people who he knows will disagree with them. He's not just offending, he's deliberately creating conflict.

This. I like Hyde. I like Kaufman.

I like anyone in between.

damn colbert used to be great
but hyde still has a whole career in coming, maybe he will surprise us

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_Gottfried#September_11_joke
My bad, I thought the clip had it. He makes a real 9/11 joke, not a copout Muslim joke.

He's creating conflict with people who have no power or say in what he does. His humor is just creating conflict without having anything to say about the conflict or trying to spin it in a way that makes it humorous. It's entirely for the reactions he gets out of people and he relies on you being either on his side in the issue or against the people he's mocking to connect with the viewer and that's it.

Gotta' amend this. I would say he relies on you being on his side, but he very much pretends to not have a side by layering everything he says with irony and sarcasm so that the audience isn't sure where he stands, if he stands at all, or if the issue even matters since he's just going for reactions.

Guess Gottfired did have balls, good joke as well.
Claiming Hyde isn't ballsy is still stupid though, being ballsy has little to do with if you have something to say or that you're just doing it for the reaction.
That Gottfried joke had nothing to do with saying something about the conflict, it was just a ballsy joke.

And besides, you're judging Hyde too soon, he's continued his same persona even though he got himself a show, that takes balls since most people would tone it down.
Maybe he'll be big and make jokes at Hollywood parties, who the fuck knows, if he was invited to a roast he'd go, and he would tell ballsy jokes, don't you think?
Or would he joke about airplane food and the weather for 15 minutes?
That clip I posted was not done in a humorous way at all btw

eric andre has a better show writer as of now but his personal politics are incredibly biased. i remember seeing him completely flop when trying to get a rise out of breitbart's staff at the RNC when they put a camera on him even though he was literally holding his script. but of course the only cuts that made it onto the show were ones of one republican saying incredibly dumb shit at the alex jones speech outside of the RNC.

also his stand up is way worse, and without editing a lot of his skits and sketches would just be complete flops. all his sketches are just people sitting there while he acts like a weirdo. the general reaction to most of his jokes without his editing staff would be "okay, whatever"

just gives him more ethos to talk about the pitfalls of higher education and art

>but of course the only cuts that made it onto the show were ones of one republican saying incredibly dumb shit at the alex jones speech outside of the RNC.
well that's literally the point of his show... do a shit load of field work and mine out the best 2 or 3 minutes... and it works

His videos are hit or miss, but when they hit, oh man.
I love the World Peace, it's the best comedy I've seen in ages.
It's also strange seeing a comedy show that isn't leftist.

Could use more substance

>It's also strange seeing a comedy show that isn't leftist.

It's not strange at all considering the current political and comedic climate. The funniest comedy is almost always subversive, so when comedy has been predominantly left-leaning for the past god knows how long, conservative viewpoints become inflammatory and funny. (imo)

This, the left did so well during Bush because they were the cool free-thinking rebels; there was a time when "maybe we're oversimplifying terrorism" was a brave sentiment to voice.

The problem with the (mainstream) left right now is thinking they're hip when they're the establishment, now all they can do is argue they're less bad than the alternative.

I can't think of any other right wing comedy show on a major television, this is a first.
That what I find strange, not the subversive nature of comedy.
And Hell, it's about time.

soundcloud.com/timheidecker/i-am-a-cuck

Heidecker copying Hyde already

Wow! Just like Andy Kaufman!

nah

... so we looked at the data

The best part of MDE are the outraged reactions tbqh.

neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1269930

It's basically weeh they shouldn't shows I disagree with
Weeh alt right is ruining everything

Memes have gone too far man.

>And guess which one is leeching off disability

They're talking about The Wall Show sketch which is my fav skit so far.

Everything about his shtick would be great, if he was actually funny. But he's not.

He's trying way too hard to stay relevant

He's got some good writers, he actually snuck a Evola quotation into his Rutgers lecture and attributed it to Michelle Obama.

Although he personally is not well read I hope he does so he can refine his craft. Reactioary irony has been used to powerful effect from Yeats, Celine to Yujuro

Why charles look like the feel meme

Kek, what video is this from?

Has to be recent since Charls has the cancer cut.

He's actually a fan of Gene Wolfe, I remember him linking it on his Facebook account a few months ago.

I think it's from their Quake stream. They played some games and talked about books/films.