/agp/ general

Ancient Greek Philosophy General

Questions and answers, suggestions, discussion about the greeks.

Get in here!

Agreed

/agp/ has a totally different meaning in /lgbt/

Where would I start with ancient Greek philosophy? I read mythology by Hamilton, and the Iliad in Lattimore translation. I'll read the Odyssey soon (also in Lattimore translation). I also plan on getting Robert Graves' Greek mythology book

PreSocratics

If you are a beginner, you can start with anything.

Advanced readers should get to know the chronological evolution of greek philosophy.

See

contributing

What does lit think of this guy?
I don't think he wanted us to live the way he lived, but he certainly wanted us to study it. But how would he live today?

Can someone explain the thinking behind this?

Is it because the man erred twice in 1) allowing himself to be reduced to a state where he makes immoral decisions and 2) committing the immoral decision?

Could it not be argued that a sober man has full awareness of the immorality of the act, whereas a drunk man may not fully comprehend what he is doing, and therefore be held more, or at least equally, at fault compared to the drunkard?

Could it also be because you're supposed to pay respects to Dionysus while drinking, therefore also committing an act against the divine? I know nothing of this man, by the way.

So I got the Penguin version of Herodotus's The Histories translated by De Selincourt. I wanted the Landmark version but wanted to buy a book at my local bookstore (they didn't have the Landmark copy). The Penguin version is recommended on one of the Greek charts. Am I doing Herodotus justice by reading this version?

I had another thought about the quote.

In Plato's Laws I was reading how drinking was supposed to give you more direct access to your virtues, i.e. if you obtain knowledge it's unmediated by your usual close mindedness. This would mean that a vicious act would inflame your vices harsher than if you had a sober mind while committing them.

All ancient greeks were faggots and their philosophy sucked shit. Except sophists, sophists were cool.

>Is it because the man erred twice in 1) allowing himself to be reduced to a state where he makes immoral decisions and 2) committing the immoral decision?
Aristotle discusses this, it's something like "when he knowingly deprived himself of his morality by drinking, he knew he was going to act like an absolute madman, should have seen the immoral coming before you got drunk". It's a bit like, you knew you were going to get drunk when you went to the bar, and less like, you knew you were drunk when it took five minutes to find the ignition but couldn't see a problem with that.

>open shilling
buy a banned isocrates

*banner

I may be confused, but are you saying Plato stated that you're more sober when you're drunk?

This kind of makes sense. I feel like this all the time when I'm drunk

> hammered
> "everything seems so clear!"

He described an elderly man's mind like a bar of iron being thrown into fire as he drinks. So all of the virtues/vices you've established over the years are vulnerable (malleable). Compare this to a younger man's mind who is already vulnerable to change.

It is because you agree to a responsibility when you take to the glass.
You can think of it similarly to if someone considered it to be worse for a policeman to go on a shooting rampage.

Taking the analogy further, we can say that a drunk person who commits a crime would be like taking a hammer to a vulnerable piece of iron. The section of the iron that you smashed could be temperance, let's say. Since he's drunk, the iron has the hardness of dough. Of course, after sobering up, the only way to repair the damage would be with double the punishment.

u guys

Seems like dank memes more than substance. Maybe it'd be different if any of his writing survived.

Was Heracles a real man?

No, it's because he was sober when he decided to get drunk.

Pretty obvious