Latin Literature Thread

Just completed learning Latin completely, what should I read in Lingua Latina now that I know Latin fully and perfectly?

Thanks.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/latine#Latin
maryjones.us/ctexts/t03w.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

bump for more replies

civitas dei?

amores?

de re publica?

Shoot guys

looking for best edition of the Aeneid translated into German
pls respond

Linguam Latinam
ovid's exile
Rumpelstiltskin

ablative fool gitonmylvl

OP is a faggot, only learn Old Norse if you want to read ancient literature! Sagas are the bomb!

De Excidio Britonum

Good luck.

>Linguam Latinam

R u retarded m8?

linguam latinam is the accusative form

Exactly, so why would you use it in OP's sentence? Bearing in mind that the 'in' there is the English preposition, not the Latin?

Should be ablative when being used in opee's sentence ('in' shouldn't even be there), but nice try guy

im going to fuck you up royally pal

FUCK THE ABLATIVE, GET RID OF IT, ITS NOT WORTH IT

PEOPLE ARE DYING

If he wants the Lingua in there, it's Linguam Latinam.
If he wants just Latin, it's Latine.

I don't have a disgusted enough Bloom reaction face for this less than basic mistake. End yourselves.

Accusative is used in vocative calls. It's fine.

I'm not sure if you're trolling, or genuinely that bad at Latin.

latine is latinly, lingua latina is nominative

latine is not nominative

using 'lingua latina' in an English sentence is fine, using accusative would be weird in the context of an English sentence

he's probably stupid

> using accusative would be weird in the context of an English sentence
Unless we happened to be in a Latin thread, where he assumed people would know Latin.

If he meant 'Latina Lingua!' as a vocative call, as 'Hey, Latina Lingua', using the accusative is fine.

> Julium, cave Brutum
> Ciceronem, i atque fella catum

But he probably didn't mean it.

>can't understand Latin adverbs
It's funnier when you know it's all languages not just Latin this happens to in Latin.

Latinly, in a Latin manner, fucking retard

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/latine#Latin

like certe means certainLY latine means latinLY

Fucking moron

OP was using an ablative

Don't bag everyone into this; Americans have problems with adverbs, not everyone.

>link even translates it as "in Latin"
at least try, user, we had hours of sperging ahead

Not the guy, but 'Latine' could also be the ablative of instrument 'with Laitin'

> scribo Latine
I write in/with Latin

OP here,

I was using an ablative.

> what should I read in Lingua Latina...
quos [libros] linguā Latinā legam...

I concur.

yea an adverb would be awkward there

I guess 'latine legere' could work but it would be confusing, like read IN A LATIN LANGUAGE WAY or READ IN THE LATIN TONGUE

Confusing, but def. OP was using an ablative

>not using ediscere and discere
how the hell were you going to translate "completely" and "perfectly"? one of you inserted "books" as well. tut tut

does this look like Rome to you?

THIS IS NOW A GERMANIC THREAD, SPAGHETTI PEOPLE GTFO. OLD NORSE IS SUPREME LANGUAGE, READ THE SAGAS, HAIL THE EDDAS

PWN THE MED SCUM! AMEN

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVdA9t-AOfU

THIS IS NOW A CELT THREAD

maryjones.us/ctexts/t03w.html

LEARN WELSH ONLY

FUCK LATINS AND GERMANICS

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr9K9BGEHsU

bump for interest

With Latin, it's fairly easy to learn the basics, but it takes a long time to get Good. Greek is the opposite, the basics are steep, but it's such a rational language that it gets much easier after that. Latin's like an old fucked up car, Greek's like a rocket ship.

The "traditional" answer is Caesar's De Bello Gallico but besides a couple of passages here and there that shit is boring as hell, unless you're really into military history.

Cicero's In Verrem is just as readable. Probably more length than you would want to sit through (nearly 500 pages in my Oxford) but passages from that would be a good place to start.

There's also Lingua Latina Vol II which continues with made-up Latin and gradually gets you into unadulterated Livy, but I didn't use it myself, and understand the itch to read something Real after spending months on volume 1.

For poetry, I think Ovid is the easiest classical poet, but none of them are easy when you're just getting your feet wet.

I do think it's important to be reading both poetry and prose together. In some ways they are different skills, not to overstate it though as it's obviously the same language and the same rules apply.

Any word you look up, which will be a lot for a while in all likelihood, mark in your dictionary with a pen. When you've had to look it up two or three times, memorize it. Or you can go nightmare mode and memorize every word you look up, but I found that pretty pointless, since some words are very rare. I'm not ashamed that I have to flip through my dictionary often reading someone like Plautus, for example, because his vocabulary is archaic and the Romans themselves needed glosses.

>using 'lingua latina' in an English sentence is fine, using accusative would be weird in the context of an English sentence

Old writers like Swift would do just that with Laitn and Greek words. A Greek oxytone would take the grave accent if succeeded by most other English words etc.

>In Verrem
Excellent choice fellow Roman,

bump

Yeah man it's very interesting. Unlike Caesar. I've drunk 20 beers today so far so I'm more or less a retard at this point. But In Verrem is so much more interesting than Caesar. It's all about terrible things that Verres has done to the swarthy Sicilians. As you well know, I say this for OP.

indeed sir yes yes

bamlop

bump