Theatre

What's your favourite play?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7GpT6ycHoMA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Our Town by Thornton Wilder

Mother Courage.
My old drama teacher directed a class doing The Persecution of Jean Paul Marat + they had a whole bunch of crt tv's lining the stage + had live feed cameras recording De Sade's whipping. Apparently shit was cash

bump

Αισχύλου Αγαμέμνων.

I haven't even seen it and I don't need to.

The Father by Strindberg.
Hedda Gabler by Ibsen is good too

Is Three Sisters by Chekov Veeky Forums-approved?

Where does one start with Samuel Beckett?

Waiting for Godot probably

Hedda Gabler was an amazing read. Also I just read a cute play by Brian Friel, called Translations. Not groundbreaking, but better than I expected.

Oh, and the Caretaker by Harold Pinter is great. It's like Beckett with the empathy of Tolstoy

>he READ plays

Not him, but I read plays while listening to a radio play of it in the background. I get somewhat of the intended experience while also indulging in a literary experience. Is that fine for you?

>radio
>this current year

I am currently at my rehearsal for this one (from my phone, of course)

I watched most of them. The Caretaker even has a film version (same actors as the original stage production) up on youtube that is easy to search for. The difference between seeing it performed and reading it was of course incredibly elucidating. Pinter's dialogue feels stale but I suppose that's because it's much more up to the actor.

I don't literally listen to the radio, I listen to radio recordings.

bump

bump

Amy Herzog, Samuel D. Hunter, and Zayd Darin are among my favorite contemporary playwrights.

Great God Pan, Bright New Boise, and Sick for those three.

What does everyone here think of Red by John Logan?

Never heard. Worth checking out?

I tell people it's basically Whiplash: the Play because of the similar teacher-student dynamic of a temperamental, perfectionist master of his work and his younger, more contrary protege. It's a two-person play about Mark Rothko and his assistant and it's about how much one strives for perfection in their works in order to find validity within his contemporaries.

I recommend it, it won the Tony for Best Play the year it premiered on Broadway.

the musical comedy murders of 1940

nothing fancy or with literary merit, but one of the funniest damn shows i've ever had the privilege of acting in.

> originally performed by Eddie Redmayne

Yeah I guess it is a good play when it gets the emerging top closeted gay actor to perform in it

Not as familiar with plays as I'd like to be, but a few I've particularly enjoyed:

Tennessee Williams - The Glass Menagerie
George Kaufman and Moss Hart - The Man Who Came to Dinner
Eugene O'Neill - The Emperor Jones
Sophocles - Antigone; Philoctetes
Vonnegut - Happy Birthday, Wanda June

How is Angels in america. On my reading list for intro to American lit

harry potter and the cursed child

>come at me bros

it's shit

This one
youtube.com/watch?v=7GpT6ycHoMA

I need to see more plays, but other than the obvious Shakespeare contenders I loved Endgame.

>Ivanov
>Uncle Vanya
>The Inspector General
>Waiting for Godot
>Antigone

They're all shit compared to Hamlet, much the same way all people are compared to God.

Agamemnon

i just read this. it was entertaining if you like things that talk about race relations or more specificially the struggle of being black in america, which i do.

I know a lot of people on Veeky Forums hate it, but whatever this is on par with do the right thing

>the struggle of being black in america
nope, not reading this nigger propoganda

bump

bump