Have you read any of Rupert Sheldrake's books? I picked up The Science Delusion from the library...

Have you read any of Rupert Sheldrake's books? I picked up The Science Delusion from the library. Pretty interesting stuff. I just ordered another one of his books off Amazon.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/JKHUaNAxsTg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What is this about? Because if it's about scientism, it may be good.

Not OP but if I remember correctly he talks about the flaws and fallacies of science and scientific bases which are fragile, like speed of light being constant (it's not)

From Google books:
The science delusion is the belief that science already understands the nature of reality. The fundamental questions are answered, leaving only the details to be filled in. In this book, Dr Rupert Sheldrake, one of the world's most innovative scientists, shows that science is being constricted by assumptions that have hardened into dogmas. The sciences would be better off without them: freer, more interesting, and more fun.
According to the dogmas of science, all reality is material or physical. The world is a machine, made up of dead matter. Nature is purposeless. Consciousness is nothing but the physical activity of the brain. Free will is an illusion. God exists only as an idea in human minds, imprisoned within our skulls.

But should science be a belief-system, or a method of enquiry? Sheldrake shows that the materialist ideology is moribund; under its sway, increasingly expensive research is reaping diminishing returns.

In the skeptical spirit of true science, Sheldrake turns the ten fundamental dogmas of materialism into exciting questions, and shows how all of them open up startling new possibilities.

The Science Delusion will radically change your view of what is possible. and give you new hope for the world

How long is it? Where do I get an ebook?
I will go to university starting with 1st September to study physics. Might as well fuck up all my beliefs.

youtu.be/JKHUaNAxsTg

Looks like the work of a butthurt narcissist.

okay, nevermind, I ain't reading that. I'm not educated enough to understand his view.

>like speed of light being constant (it's not)
Dimensional constants have no physical meaning and amount only to the choice of measurement units. Thus speed of light can be, and usually is, chosen to be strictly 1. Anyway, a theory is only a theory, but in case of Special Relativity, for example, it's a theory that works remarkably well.
>The science delusion is the belief that science already understands the nature of reality.
Not a single scientist would believe that. What I, as a scientist, honestly believe, is that modern scientific theories are adequate for describing everything directly around us, that including humans. In other words, we may not concern ourselves with the _true_ laws of nature that may underlie the Standard Model and such, but if we take just the Standard Model supplied with General Relativity and solve its equations on a very-very big computer, among the possible solutions of these equations there will be one describing humans and human behaviour (and similarly, nature and society) with enough precision to be undistinguishable. Does Sheldrake address that?

See, here's the thing. I'm fine with science...doing science. There's nothing wrong with, according to science, religion being confined to our heads. Because it is -- according to science. The problem is that people think science is magically more accurate than faith, despite them both operating in totally irreconcilable (and incomparable) ways.

>Sheldrake's morphic resonance hypothesis posits that "memory is inherent in nature"[3][8] and that "natural systems, such as termite colonies, or pigeons, or orchid plants, or insulin molecules, inherit a collective memory from all previous things of their kind"
>Alfred Rupert Sheldrake (born 28 June 1942) is an English author,[3] public speaker,[4] and researcher in the field of parapsychology,[5] known for his "morphic resonance" concept.
Oh, nevermind. He's a science freak. Next thing you will be discussing Dianetics.

It's recommended by the guy who did "the Rise and Fall of Modern Medicine".

>Le Fanu is not a creationist and does not argue for God, instead he argues for a non-physical cosmic force which he claims could explain where consciousness originates from; he also claims it may explain many of the other mysteries unexplained by material science.
Birds of a feather flock together.

Absolute trash. You should feel embarrassed about even considering it "interesting".

sheldrake is an utter fucknut

he started out as a promising scientist then went to india to "find himself" and came back with lots of weird mystical beliefs
he believes that dogs are psychic and the sun is conscious
his main theory is "morphic resonance", the idea that if, say, one person does something or learns something, that "resonates" to everyone. yet somehow he is unable to explain why e.g. if one person does a crossword, not everyone knows the answers

he has been utterly disowned by the scientific community and this book is basically him bitching on about that

no doubt there are some people on Veeky Forums who will share his beliefs. you're all fucknuts too.

stephen jay gould you're supposed to be dead

Yeah well, educated posts with big words make me question the base of my intellect and it's really not good

>morphic resonance
I read about that in a Pratchett book.

>his main theory is "morphic resonance", the idea that if, say, one person does something or learns something, that "resonates" to everyone. yet somehow he is unable to explain why e.g. if one person does a crossword, not everyone knows the answers
I heard about this for the first time when I played 999.

hard to take him seriously
I think it is interesting though, but there is no evidence to back it up

yeah it was also in an episode of torchwood
morphic resonance is a fiction so it's appropriate that it gets referred to in other forms of fiction
unfortunately there are some people that take it seriously

>morphic resonance is a fiction so it's appropriate that it gets referred to in other forms of fiction