books are for gays.

just tell her to man up.

this

king james version

Did she ask for a book recommendation?

She's just using you for a drama dump

Run away very fast

just have her read Ecclesiastes
maybe then she'll find the courage to do the right thing and kill herself.

>Ecclesiastes 6

> A man might have a hundred children and live to be very old. But if he finds no satisfaction in life and doesn’t even get a decent burial, it would have been better for him to be born dead. 4 His birth would have been meaningless, and he would have ended in darkness. He wouldn’t even have had a name, 5 and he would never have seen the sun or known of its existence. Yet he would have had more peace than in growing up to be an unhappy man. 6 He might live a thousand years twice over but still not find contentment. And since he must die like everyone else—well, what’s the use?

>Everything has already been decided. It was known long ago what each person would be. So there’s no use arguing with God about your destiny.

> In the few days of our meaningless lives, who knows how our days can best be spent? Our lives are like a shadow. Who can tell what will happen on this earth after we are gone?

>Ecclesiastes 4
>I observed all the oppression that takes place under the sun. I saw the tears of the oppressed, with no one to comfort them. The oppressors have great power, and their victims are helpless. 2 So I concluded that the dead are better off than the living. 3 But most fortunate of all are those who are not yet born. For they have not seen all the evil that is done under the sun.

>Ecclesiastes 5
>People leave this world no better off than when they came. All their hard work is for nothing—like working for the wind. 17 Throughout their lives, they live under a cloud—frustrated, discouraged, and angry.

>Ecclesiastes 3
>I also thought about the human condition—how God proves to people that they are like animals. 19 For people and animals share the same fate—both breathe[a] and both must die. So people have no real advantage over the animals. How meaningless! 20 Both go to the same place—they came from dust and they return to dust. 21 For who can prove that the human spirit goes up and the spirit of animals goes down into the earth?

None, there is nothing you can recommend that she will read.
You are just wasting time talking to her.

Strindberg's Inferno.

What the hell poetryless translation is this?

>All their hard work is for nothing—like working for the wind
>So people have no real advantage over the animals. How meaningless!
I read this in Donald Trump's voice.

btw OP, how long have you known this girl? because dumping this attention whoring shit on you strikes me as a major red flag, especially if you aren't even that close. if you are that close, well then I feel bad for you. enjoy being her emotional tampon for the next few years while she rides the cock carousel. trust me, she's not your friend. she just sees you as someone she can use to vent her frustrations and who is willing to give her the much needed attention she lacked as a child. have some decency and tell her to fuck off.

Whenever people ask this question I think of the Book of Gold from BotNS, or the Vindications from the Library of Babel. Only in a fantasy world is a book going to change your life in and of itself.

this video for sure inspirational 10/10
youtube.com/watch?v=7GpT6ycHoMA

Tell her to read The Unbearable Lightness of Being.

You should read it too, OP.

Kundera is very much attuned to the depression the anxiety and the rage that comes with living in an abusive family/a toxic relationship/a desperate country, and also the existential relief that none of it has any more importance than the individual ascribes to it.

I have seen the face of God.

>implying OP doesn't use her as a emotional tampon too.

Also, talking to a friend about frustrations is correct. OP used the word 'friend', not 'the girl I'm trying to fuck'. So, technically it's not 'attention whoring shit', whatever this means.

>unironically having female friends for any other reason than fucking
lmaoing @ you rn

youtube.com/watch?v=29rw6qCcIww

Ecc is famously prose. It might rhyme in Hebrew but it's quite a late work so no need for oral mnemonics.

As someone who has never read any religious text but really liked reading this post, what do? Should I read through Ecclesiastes or more of the Bible? And what translation should I go for? I think I'd be better off with something readable like this than the older, more authentic versions, but I'd like some advice.

I bet you have no friends. Do you react that way whenever anyone you're close to opens up to you? Fucking Christ.

>Being so autistic you can't relate to people without wanting to stick your dick in them.

It's like you've only just become aware of /r9k/

Maybe steppenwolf by hesse, then some aurelius meditations and show her nietzche's stages to reach transvaluations of morals

Most people are getting tired of them.

Fuck this sounds exactly like my situation when I was her age. My older brother was an abusive, sadistic fuck and my mother was depressed and difficult.

Tell her to read some good comic novels. Satire, whatever. And tell her to leave home if she isn't exaggerating (which a lot of kids do)

>not being indifferent towards which vag wants your dick and which vag wants to listen to your dick
Try to progress

Jesus, i've spent maybe four years thinking i was alone in being raised by a depressed single mother and an alcoholic older brother. Tell her to read To the Lighthouse. The emotional complexity really helped me understand the shit people trudge through every day and subsequently stop worrying about what other's are thinking 24/7 because we all go through it.

There's enough people in the world that you're never alone, whether it's in thinking that James Joyce is overrated or in being raised by a depressed single mother and an alcoholic older brother.

She's an illiterate narcissist. Don't bother.

So are you

I suppose it takes one to know one then, huh?

Could you take two seconds out of your life not to find every single possible way to be a jaded asshole because it's edgy and everyone is starting to get sick of how you're acting.

Tell her to read the Stranger.

She's a girl so she probably won't get Catcher in the Rye but the Stranger is perfect here.

t. me, I've had a similar situation and such works of average complexity but vivid display of ideas are perfectly on point.

Confessions by St. Augustine
Dark Night of the Soul by St. John of the Cross
Thoughts in Solitude by Thomas Merton

David Foster Wallace - Infinite Jest
Thomas Pynchon - Against the Day
William Gaddis - The Recognitions
William Gass - The Tunnel
Joseph McElroy - Women and Men
Roberto Bolano - 2666

OP here. thanks for the recs lads.

shes also going to see a therapist as well as she doesnt want to start popping random pills the doctor prescribes her

Seneca - Letters

Oh so this isn't a bait thread.

I recently read and now I'm reading Schopenhauer. Essays and Aphorisms.

Both are easy to digest and no jargon. They really helped me be indifferent to the world. I'd stay away from self help shit, they are published to profit from people like her and are just bull.

It's still a shitty translation of some of the greatest writing of all time.

ya not bait lad. I'm serious. And yeah I wasn't going to recommend her some stupid self help shit.

Whenever I see people reading self help books I gently want to take it out of their possession and toss it.

None. You don't need to fix her, just listen to her.

Metamorphosis by Kafka followed by Siddhartha by Hesse.

Although don't reccomend anything to this person, they didn't ask for that and you'll seem like an asshole who doesn't want to console their friend.

honestly if she doesnt read of her own volition then what makes you think she's going to follow your suggestions?

Best advice I got from reading is that hanging out with friends is the best pleasurable activity you can do in your life. So if she feels like drinking alcohol to escape her troubles, just drink with her(not to get drunk) but she needs to be around friends. Play a board game or a picnic. Do it everyday, that's what epicurus says

>deleted

I'm A Little Teapot

Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson.

That's not necessarily bad advice, but...
>following what epicurus says

We want to stop her killing herself.

Mein Kampf is a time tested treasure

What does she need books for, she already wrote one

How to Stop Being a Little Bitch

Charles Dickens. Tale of Two Cities, Oliver Twist, etc...

He writes about difficult subjects of his day in a lighthearted style. Even when things get dark, you know it'll have a happy ending.

Dickens is my go-to feel good read.

I'm not sure,if she really needs a book to read,but I would reccomend her to read something like "Perdido Street Station" by China Miewill or every science fiction book long and interesting enough to forget about her shitty reality for a while.

this is stellar advice lad, if you can stick to the Dick you're always gonna get a happy time.

>she

Just tell her to watch Jordan B Peterson, if you want her problems to actually be confronted and dealt with.

Meditations by Marcus Aurelius Antoninus Augustus

I agree

>being a cock

Fuck off if your gonna be a fucking dick head

Tell her to start with the Greeks

NIV for ease to read. English standard for accuracy. Original King James if you like "thou's" and "thee's".

The Bible is not a single book, it is a collection of 66 books with different authors, different prose, and different authors.

My recommended starting position: Genesis (the first book) for creation story and initial Jewish traditional history and mythology (very important and influential in literature), and continue reading history (Samuel, Kings, Judges, etc) for further stories like this. You can also start in the poetry section, which includes Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon and Job. These five books are the best written and have the sort of philosophical musings you found in the post you like. Of these Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, and Job are the best and I personally conside Job the best book in the Bible. You can also start in the New Testament for Jesus's and his follower's teaching, which are a mix of history and philosophical and religious teachings.

Avoid starting at the Jewish law books (Leviticus, Numbers, Deutoronomy) or the Major or Minor Prophets (Daniel, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Isaiah, etc) as these are more obtuse for beginning readers.

Also, feel free to skip the geneology section in Genesis if you want, it's a very dry part in an otherwis exciting book.

>a girl
>reading this
Bitches can't understand this

But benzos are the best thing on Gods green Earth.

How would you know? You thought it was """"poetry"""" and it's one of the least poetic parts of the Talmud.

You're not alone in weirdly romanticising everything Biblical but nevertheless it's retarded.

>he thinks the talmud and old testament are the same

I've heard Demian is perfect for this kind of feeling.

>wasting 77's being such an ignorant philistine