Absinthe Drinking Writers

Rimbaud, Verlaine, Jarry, Strindberg, Hemingway, Poe, etc. All of these authors found inspiration from the green fairy.

The literary questions is: "How did this alcoholic beverage contribute or hinder these writers, and why did they make such a big deal about referencing them throughout their works and their lives?"

They liked the way it tasted? It's just a spiced liquor mixed with cold water and sugar that happened to be trendy when these people were writing.

It has a Veeky Forums a e s t h e t i c

just like being an intellectual and smoking at cafés

also bonus for Strindberg being mentioned at this board for fucking once

I'd subscribe to this. Absinthe has however been encased in so much myth it's hardly cool anymore.

Smoking I think will stay "cool" for quite some more time. I think wine and whiskey has taken over as "aesthetic" drinks now.

It's just coincidence, it's what their friends did, etc. These days most "artistic" people smoke marihuana and even some good, published writers smoke marihuana, though they are smarter than to publicize that fact. But you won't say marihuana made them great writers, it's just a fixture of "bohemian" types these days, just like absinthe was a long time ago. A shitty green thing that tastes and smells like ass and impairs your cognition.

Nah smoking [tobacco] isn't cool anymore.

>"marihuana"
Why?

Same reason I say "soluble" instead of "solvable", because it's correct, old-fashioned, and it triggers plebs like you.

Damn dude, you're almost at level with that dude in the Veeky Forums screenshot who claims to reference his own unfinished novella to people irl.

>tfw real absinthe is legally a drug in my country
>tfw it's my favorite liquor

The wormwood in absinthe is a mild hallucinogen. When you drink a rather large amount of absinthe strong with wormwood you get the mild hallucinogen effects. I assume this helps open up creativity

Smoking tobacco is pretty cool man, bohemian tier

tastes like weed + Scope mouthwash

>falling for myths
Do you research, user.

this, even centuries old Absinthe has been tested

Interesting. I'm not an expert on absinthe so I guess I did fall for it, but I do know that wormwood IS hallucinogenic.

>but I do know that wormwood IS hallucinogenic.
No.

>The chemical that’s taken all the blame for absinthe’s hallucinogenic reputation is called thujone, which is a component of wormwood.
>Modern science has also proven that there is no evidence at all that thujone can cause hallucinations, even in high doses.
For fuck's sake man you can't just believe shit without looking it up, it's the prime sign of stupidity.

>No.

The chemical that's taken all the blame for absinthe's hallucinogenic reputation is called thujone, which is a component of wormwood. Most people believe that it is wormwood alone that causes the hallucinations and will often mention that when the topic arises. In very high doses, thujone can be toxic

Are you actually retarded? It being toxic does not mean it's hallucinogenic.

I don't know how it can be clearer than:
>there is no evidence at all that thujone can cause hallucinations
>no evidence at all

I would be willing to bet 1,000$ that you have never taken thujone in large doses.

I have. It is hallucinogenic.

There is no greater pseud than the wiki-pseud.

Absinthe is nothing special. It's more or less the same thing as Pernod.

>though they are smarter than to publicize that fact
>who is pynchon

>This is a fact because of my anecdotal experience in which I placebo:d myself to seem cool
>all scientific studies don't shake me, I know what I know which is what I choose to believe

You couldn't be more cancer, user. Why don't you dismiss evolution, the holocaust and vaccines as well while you're at it.

drinks go in and out of style u gaywad

absinthe is like any other liquor

>We're seeing unknown levels of autism here

>Fact
Thujone is a hallucinogenic compound.

>Fact
Thujone is in wormwood.

Lrn2 google before making a fool of yourself

dont forget Apollinaire who wrote a literal
whole poem about it

please dont lump evolution and the holocaust in with that vaccine tripe.

>muh anecdote