Infinite Jest vs Don Quixote

Taking a short holiday, what should I read whilst baking in the sun; Infinite Jest (from page 97 (midway through a lengthy footnote)) or Book 2 of Don Quixote?

how about you pick up the one you were enjoying more beforehand and stop caring about which will give you more credit on a board full of fat neckbearded philosophes, you fucking idiot

I was enjoying DQ more but I don't think IJ is something which grabs you right away. Besides I'll have the benefit of having literally nothing else to do to help me focus, whereas I can actually read DQ casually and enjoy it.

not op
Should I read Infinite Jest in English?
I am not a native English speaker.
Generally buy translations, except for Poetry.

What's your fucking problem? You can read English poetry but read translation for prose? Please tell me you're baiting. No way you can be that stupid.

>should i read some meme by a talentless hack or the best book ever
thats a thoug one, op

I am not baiting.
I find poetry to be untranslatable, so I always read poetry in the original language if possible.

For prose, I am satisfied with good translations.
Mainly because I dont want to bother myself with imports.
Almost all the westerners who consider Dostoievsky and Tolstoi to be geniuses did not actually read them in Russian.
Translation can be even better than the original.

Donny Q is a more worthwhile read.

Worked out earlier that every 1% of progress for Infinite Jest on my Kindle is 31 pages - so more than 3000 pages for the whole text. I've been reading it for weeks on end and I'm still only 37% through. I'm hoping that at 50% the actual book will end and the footnotes will start so that I can stop reading but honestly say I've read the book desu, but I'm too scared to go forward to check.

at about 47% completion you realize it's a giant haphazard compendium of every stray short story and notebook page and index card a desperate alcoholic and weed addict could scrounge together in order to publish a magnum opus before he was 35 to impress a hot poetess he was obsessed with

Yeah I am starting to wonder if it's maybe a bit overrated because of its length - some sort of cognitive bias could come into play, eg "I spent 2 months reading it so it MUST have been incredible. Why else would I have wasted so much time?" That said, I am enjoying it and find DFW to be a gifted and humorous writer, I just wonder whether all the content is necessary.

But user, there's no reason for not reading a worm in its original language when are able to. Book depository is your saviour. I'm from Argentina so I understand that imports used to be a problem but not anymore. This comes right to your door.

Fucking thing. Work*

>The greatest novel ever written vs. a forced meme

IJ belongs in the trash.

I was reading Don Quixote today at the beach and I couldn't help but start laughing when reading this episode.

Es demasiado gracioso. Cada vez que Sancho habla de la manteada estallo de risa.

why the fuck would you read a translation of Don Quixote

i need to stop coming to this place

*tips sombrero*

spics aren't welcomed here anyways. so good riddance

Why?

you have to go back

hmm.....

This has to be bait

>not getting the joke

>it was a joke

you can't even correctly imply a meme text. the joke is that according to Cervantes, Don Quixote was a translated novel originally by the Moorish author

so meta

are you liking it so far?

>"My dear sirs, I was merely jesting when I feigned mental incapacity!"

see