Brainstorming thread

ITT I want everyone to share the smartest, deepest, most intellectual thoughts that they can. What's the smartest thing you can say?

m3m3s

Trey Gowdy for president!

two wrongs don't make a right but seven lefts do

If people are just fleshy blips on this journey called life, then who made you the judge?

Life is meaningless.

*hands u a dictionary*

People don't have free will. You can't choose the way your mind reacts to things, and the way your mind reacts to things dictates your behavior, so by extension, you have no control over your behavior.

Sex is not worth it.

The ways in which people are different is deeeply unsettling.

I agree with this. I don't think there's really a bad person, there's only "bad" ideas and obviously that's a subjective point of view. If everyone in the world was a serial killer, would the consensus be that not killing people is bad? If everyone in the world was a pedophile would the consensus be that raping kids is okay? Basically morality is controlled by whatever the largest majority says it should be, and it's ultimately arbitrary. I mean, even if you take religious morality, it's all based on what religion you're born into, or which ever one you gravitate towards. It's obvious than human beings aren't part of some universal morality, because if they were then everyone who's moral would have the exact same view of what is actually moral. Technically though, I think there can be an absolute morality in the sense that there are some things which cause less suffering than others, morality should be just to cause the least amount of suffering possible. The problem though, is that that is such a complex issue, the idea of producing the least amount of suffering possible, that no one can really be the arbitrator of that idea, no one is really knowledgeable enough to know what is truly the best for everyone. So in that sense there is no absolute morality, and anyone who says that other people are bad really have no place to judge at all. People may disagree that all people shouldn't be judged, but look at even a religion, even religious people think that an ultimate, all knowing being wouldn't be judgmental because he wouldn't need to be, because he knows everything, because he can see an understand everything and we can't (if you can get past the fucking contradiction that even though god who supposedly loves and understands everyone would send them to hell for all eternity (but then again the idea of god is a human concept, so you can only expect a contradiction like that).

tl;dr

but nice quads dude

I agree with this. What I don't understand is why theoretical physicists like Michio Kaku are saying that humans have free will because "Einstein was wrong and determinism isn't actually real, there's unpredictability". That's so silly to me, that's basically saying that things just "happen". Things don't just happen, even on a quantum level he refers to particles disappearing and reappearing in different places. Just because we don't understand what makes them move that way doesn't mean that they move that way for no reason, things don't just happen for no reason. Even if on a quantum level things worked that way, obviously the laws of physics which we operate on are very concrete and we operate according to the laws of physics; a ball dropped will always fall towards the earth if gravity is pulling it downwards, unless acted on upon an outside force. I don't see how he can say that this is somehow proof of free will, it's aggravating that Kaku doesn't even go into greater detail about what he means by this, he basically just says "determinism is false, einstein was wrong, therefor we have free will". No no no no no no no no no. Human beings actions are pre-determined by the laws of physics at the big bang.

this. dank memes 4 life.

;)

nihilism 101 sorry

Schopenhauer said this like 100 times.

sour grapes

Are you that retard from the borges thread? Boy, no wonder you dislike him, you must have a deep hatred of synthesis

I never posted in a borges thread.

I am cum

I dunno.

Why can't you all just leave me alone.

Even though anonymous on a lebanese space travel forum, I'm sure many like me feel paranoid sharing private thoughts they hold highly

Determinism leads to the paradox of infinite regress (what caused the cause?), which can (so far as we know) be solved either by the theory that this universe was created by a black hole and black holes within our universe can create other universes, etc, and the universe (or rather multiverse) has existed forever (which is to say it's acausal), or, if you don't like pop science, that there is an unmoved mover a la Aristotle or religion, a first creator who was uncreated, just existed for eternity and will exist forever.

Therefore, the universe is inherently acausal. No one can prove causality. It's just a way of thinking that is natural to us and therefore universally thought to be true.

On the other hand, I think freewill is a retarded notion that westerners glorify. If you look into eastern philosophies, they don't really care about the idea of freewill, they see humans on the same level as grass, animals, the sky, etc., all moving in a beautiful dance without "freewill". Freewill itself is inherently paradoxical. You can't define it. Any definition of it involves the notion of freewill within the definition already somehow, making it recursive and therefore meaningless.

Now the interesting thing to consider is, if everything we do is not done by us but done by necessity, doesn't that make us entirely free since we don't have to bear the burden of "responsibility" for anything? We could all just dissociate and let life go by, living naturally, doing what comes to the organism, not being overly attached to it, which is the essence of Zen Buddhism.

Strive forth, however blindly, in search of that which seems to give meaning to your life. For one day, an automobile will strike you as you walk across the street, or a man you've never seen will fill you with bullets you never asked for, or a tumor will grow unnoticed inside an organ you never knew you needed. Your friends and family, if you ever had them, will perish or turn on you just as unexpectedly. So, strive forward, with a strength as dumb and as powerful as oxen, and search and make and talk and love and *do*, before your neurons degenerate and eventually decompose in the cold, damp, lonely earth.

i like this

this is borderline fedora but i can back it

Hahahahahahahaha How The Fuck Is Cyber Bullying Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Walk Away From The Screen Like Nigga Close Your Eyes Haha

s4s is the sanest board on this site.
>It is said that because of this post, the monk was enlightened

benis