Is music important to give life meaning?

Is music important to give life meaning?

Nietzsche said "without music, life would be a mistake" in Twilight of the Idols

and Schopenhauer "Music … stands quite apart from all the [other arts]. In it we do not recognize the copy, the repetition, of any Idea of the inner nature of the world. Yet it is such a great and exceedingly fine art, its effect on man’s innermost nature is so powerful, and it is so completely and profoundly understood by him in his innermost being as an entirely universal language, whose distinctness surpasses even that of the world of perception itself, that in it we certainly have to look for more than that exercitium arithmeticae occultum nescientis se numerare animi [“an unconscious exercise in arithmetic in which the mind does not know it is counting”] which Leibniz took it to be… We must attribute to music a far more serious and profound significance that refers to the innermost being of the world and of our own self."

What other positions have philosophers took on music?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Iz8zAG8RiBQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Grimes
I don't think they were talking about degenerate music

Grimes' feet?

wow she fucking skinny

Grimes is pure

"The song is known for its harmonic sophistication[11] and extensive use of inverted chords, including third inversions such as B7/A. The first chord of the verse (D major/A) is a non-diatonic chord. The tonic chord (E major) usually only appears with the major 3rd or the 5th in the bass. The entire verse progression sounds restless and ambiguous, until the line "I don't see the light I saw in you before" when the chord progression finally reaches a clear goal (A–E/G#–F#m7–E). This has been cited by musicologists as a good example of how lyrical meaning can be supported and enhanced by a chord progression—along with the melody hook which also provides an example of "a sense of increasing melodic energy that comes by way of the gradually ascending line".[12] Stephen Downes similarly named the song's "tonal plasticity" emphasized by the disuse of authentic cadences and root-position tonics as the reason for its "expansiveness".[11] In musicologist Philip Lambert's opinion, the song's vocal counterpoint evokes the sacred traditions of a cantata by Johann Sebastian Bach or an oratorio by George Frideric Handel.[13] Andy Gill of the post-punk band Gang of Four describes the composition:"

If you have to ask you are probably autistic

And still sucks. Bravo.

>grimes posting

plebe detected, post disregarded

Nigger, this is some try hard music school dropout turned critic garbage

the bitch couldn't counterpoint her way out of a paper bag, but luckily (for her) has a bunch of tard fans who clean up after her random-note-piano puke by writing drivel like this

after googling to listen to this supposed masterpiece for myself, I find it actually comes from the wiki article on God Only Knows by the Beach Boys, and suddenly I'm okay with it.

How low do you have to sink to enjoy grimes? If you want to listen to post-modernist music at least listen to something that has atleast mildly interesting compositions
youtube.com/watch?v=Iz8zAG8RiBQ

>the song's vocal counterpoint
In a musical sense you can't have a counterpoint to a bunch of chords. It may make sense in original context but not there.

SHe shouldn't be sitting on that Hammond, what if she slips and breaks some keys?

Y O U N G T H U G

>Is music important to give life meaning?

I dislike music and never listen to it, so no.

XD

But is yr life meaningful user??????

Hey I know her - that's the chimpmonk goblin hermaphrodite who lost her virginity in a gangbang.

Her music is passable, claims to be pop but is always giving this extra quirky asexual vibe.

As a Nietzschean I only listen to real street shit because this music is the purest representation of the will to power and master morality.

Music is nothing but a mood altering art form, you can control your mood without it. The dependency it creates had the first aim of being self-serving from the musicians perspective. The artist wanted to preach their superior feelings and have others conform to them thereby passing along the burden of the emotions restraining force in exchange for the fame of doing so.

Listeners let themselves inject their nostalgic emotion into the sound because they don't want to follow themselves as leader of their mood.

Too bad she is ultra-feminist. Would bang.

Wrong.

Street music is a reaction to police and society. It's a slave morality because it's morals are simply an inverse of a pre-existing one, if it had it's own slave reaction to it then it might be master but right now it's just nothing.

laughable

>butthurt /mu/ waifuposters

he's right you know.

Did she really lose her virginity in a gangbang? That's fucking weird.
Here's a cuter picture of her imo

>lost her virginity in a gang bang

What? Tell me more. I've seen her live twice and yet I've never heard of this before

He's a lying prick.

Nietzsche was the Ariana Grande, the Katy Pery, the Taylor Swift of his time.

"YAAAAY DANCING!"

Given he is clearly a literal autist, the answer is likely no.

Nah, he was a frogposter.

>Nietzsche put an end to one young woman's romantic intentions by presenting her with a toad wrapped in a blood-stained handkerchief

>in Twilight
Stopped reading there
Fucking YA is cancer
>>>/tumblr/

>shitting on grimes
The /pol/ nazis really ought to die.

The slave reaction is "socially conscious" hip hop that demonizes money, power, and originality.

"Jeffrey" is master music. "2014 Forest Hills Drive" is slave music. J Cole, like Common, Immortal Technique, Hopsin, etc. kowtow to white masters instead of seizing their own vitalism as Young Thug, Future, Gucci Mane, Lil Yachty, etc. do.

This. Nothing worse than preachy hiphop, best to go for real cunts like Waka and big Guwop or if you really want to go hard Lil Pappy and BuDouble or Bandz if you like white niggers.

If art is life, music is its childhood.

Nietzsche would have really dug Cygnus X-1 by Rush, especially the Book II: Hemispheres section of the two piece work.
Nothing better to wash away the disease that was Wagner than with some Canadian prog.

Prog is almost all pseudo intellectual aping of art music, while clinging to the most superficial and damaging cliches of rock.
The Germans are an exception (largely because they realize the inherent minimalism of rock and use it to its full potential, rather than trying to Frankenstein some sort of epic complexity and plot) and so are a select few from elsewhere, but Rush is absolute garbage. It's the musical equivalent of G. R. R. Martin.

What a pseudo intellectual thing to say.

How? Music enables the experience of feelings and impulses that would otherwise never be felt.