Was recently listening to a McKenna lecture and he reiterated a Joyce quote I found interesting

Was recently listening to a McKenna lecture and he reiterated a Joyce quote I found interesting.

I'm obviously paraphrasing here, but something along the lines of "Joyce said his 'daybook' was Ulysses, while Finnegan's Wake would be his 'nightbook.'"

Terence then went on to compare this to Pynchon and stated that Gravity's Rainbow was Pynch's 'nightbook,' while he found Mason & Dixon to be his 'daybook.'

What do you guys think of that? What do you think the idea of daybook and nightbook even translate to? Is it just a comment on the tone? Despair v. Hope?

Would you agree with Terence's take on Pynchon? Would you agree with Joyce's own take on himself?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Rpeq91hK1Gk
psychedelicsalon.com/podcast-515-our-cyberspiritual-future-part-1/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Day Man, ah ah ah

mckenna hasnt read any of those books senpai

sounds like he was building to something like:
>authors have day and night books
>mushrooms created consciousness

McKenna probably understood Finnegan's Wake far better than you ever will.

why read when all you need to do is rub a books cover against your cheek and flip its pages across your nose under the influence of a gram of ibogaine? Then you'll really be made to think.

youtube.com/watch?v=Rpeq91hK1Gk

forgot how annoying his voice was

>british

Finnegan's wake was actually his favorite book.

>knowing that

This is one of several minor errors in this talk. Another one is Joyce's death date, erroneously given as 1939.

I strongly encourage you to look past these errors and appreciate the analysis McKenna provides over the course of the lecture. Really is worth listening to for any devotee of Joyce.

Putting forth drugs as a red herring to discredit McKenna is ridiculous.

>not an argument

I've listened to one of his lectures and he mentioned it. What is your point?

how and why is there so much recorded audio of mckenna?

>Finnegan's

well at least we know you guys never read it

> Finnegan's wake
> Fnnegans
> w
Casual spotted, get filtered.

explain

people like him.

Do you have the source on the Pynchon quote? Sounds pretty interesting, actually.

Finnegans Wake has no apostrophe.

That being said, this is a minor mistake to avoid discussing an interesting OP over.

Not sure why Veeky Forums is full of such faggots.

We could:
Post in another John Green hate thread.
Post in another DFW thread.
Post in another bait thread.

Or we could engage with the OP which presents an interesting question from an author that is revered by the board.

It's a Joyce quote. McKenna hypothesizes what he thinks Pynchon's day and night books would be.

It's in the first several minutes here:
psychedelicsalon.com/podcast-515-our-cyberspiritual-future-part-1/

But it really makes you think though dunnit?
College undergrads need something to blow their roommate's mind without having the confidence to explain anything themselves. Coming out the screen it sounds more authoritative.

Thanks a lot.

Regarding your question, I think it's not so much a matter of tone as it is a matter of style (and it definitely is not about hope vs despair).

The Wake is considered a "nightbook" it deals with the oneiric: its language(s) and structure are those of a dream, highly convoluted and with an excess of meaning, yet with an order which is not apparent at first sight. Compare that with Ulysses, which, with all its language playfulness and narrative techniques, has a very defined and apparent structure and purpose: in other words, it follows the logic of day, so to speak.

I cannot comment on Pynchon, since I have only read The Crying of Lot 49 and his short story "Entropy", but I guess if you follow the Joyce comparison and apply it to M&D and GR then it might start to make sense.

A nightbook BECAUSE it deals...****

Sorry, typing from my phone.

He made his living giving lectures, numbskull

Interesting analysis. I quite like that.

I'll throw on my DFW analysis hat and say that plenty of IJ thus qualifies as a nightbook, at least until the narrative becomes clearer a third of the way into the book.

I forgot to add that Ulysses is a daybook because the story happens in the span of a single day, while FW is a nightbook because it happens during a dream, which happens at night when people sleep. I don't know if something similar happens with Pynchon's novels.

> Explain
No need, it explains itself, idiot.

He's right on a very superficial level about both. I mean, they clearly are a bit 'brighter' in one book than the other.

I don't know if anything is gained by this dichotomy.

It autocorrects to that on my phone.

>But it really makes you think though dunnit?

What are you on about?

I'll rescue you Terry.

The British thing is not an error. Joyce died with a British passport and citezenship. Terence knew where Joyce was from. You can check the passport situation yourself by searching the internet.

That's the direction in which I would interpret it also. GR as a whole can indeed get more dreamlike than M&D, though not usually because of the language alone. Closer to fever-dream and day-dream perhaps.

Hot damn. McKenna reaffirmed as the true Joyce scholar.

First off, this is literally true: Ulysses is of course the story of the course of one "ordinary" day, 16 June 1904. Finnegans Wake is a cycle on one sentence, but it begins and ends at the same dawn, and takes the form of a discontinuous dream-narrative, so considering it fragments of dream as one wakes is not a stretch.
Eco calls Ulysses “a sort of encyclopaedia. A total work-as-Cosmos. The miscellany of one day in Dublin” and refers to Jung’s observation that the schizophrenic viewpoints should be seen as a sort of “cubist” operation.
Eco says the Wake takes language beyond any boundary of communicability. “It may seem that Ulysses represents the most arduous attempt to give physiognomy to chaos, but Finnegans Wake defines itself as Chaosmos and Microchasm and constitutes the most terrifying document of formal instability and semantic ambiguity that we possess." So, more or less a nocturnal epic of ambiguity and metamorphoses, coupling the Viconian striving for salvation with the Brunian idea of a discovery of a god within the unity of the world and not beyond it.

He's into memes, not nonsense like Mckenna

That's funny haha he's right tho

Sounds like meaningless spitballing since whereas Joyce had an active concept he was working from, Pynchon wasnt writing in relation to his other books. Half decent rhetorical analogy but they're really nothing alike in that sense.

KEK
I hadn't had such a decent laugh in this board for ages