>snort some more oxy
>too fucked up to read, decide to smoke a bowl

One of these days im going to actually read, mark my words

Joyce was such a genius.

this

what do you think about david foster wallace

>a darkness shining in brightness which brightness could not comprehend
Damn, that's good shit.

I don't think anyone's ever mentioned that the first 3 chapters of Ulysses are the best written . It's a strange opinion, sure, but I personally found the first three chapters with Dedalus to be my favorite and Stephen to be more sympathetic and interesting of a character than Bloom. After Bloom is introduced, it all goes downhill. Bloom is just a goofy lovable kind of guy, but Stephen is actually interesting because he actually is complex, complex enough to be in some parts contemptible (he's stuck-up, proud, alienates the people around him, is obsessed with the world of literature and intellectual abstraction as opposed to reality) but in other respects sympathetic (surprisingly generous, depressed and guilty because his mother died and he didn't kneel at her bedside because he dislikes Catholicism, very intelligent and not entirely alienated from the people around him just because of his own fault).

If you take an average passage from Bloom's head, or other random characters Joyce introduces, they're just generally not as interesting and well-written as the first three chapters.

>On the boil sure enough: a plume of steam from the spout. He scalded and rinsed out the teapot and put in four full spoons of tea, tilting the kettle then to let the water flow in. Having set it to draw he took off the kettle, crushed the pan flat on the live coals and watched the lump of butter slide and melt. While he unwrapped the kidney the cat mewed hungrily against him. Give her too much meat she won't mouse. Say they won't eat pork. Kosher. Here. He let the bloodsmeared paper fall to her and dropped the kidney amid the sizzling butter sauce. Pepper. He sprinkled it through his fingers ringwise from the chipped eggcup.
From Calypso, the first chapter after Stephen's chapters. Far from the passage in the OP, for me. People generally say that it all gets better after the first 3 chapters and Bloom's sections are way easier to read and far more sympathetic than Stephen's but I didn't see it. Didn't like Hades either, a surprising letdown.

De gustibus non est....

>inb4 Stephen is a pretentious asshole and is just Joyce making fun of himself and therefore I'm pretentious too for liking him more than Bloom, who's supposed to be the likable everyman
Yeah, well, I know Joyce's intentions in this, I just found that even while satirizing himself he made a more interesting character because he's closer to Stephen than to Bloom, even if he praises Bloom more.

>tfw you've been listening to History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps and still needed to google Moses Maimonides and Averroes to see their relevance

Joyce is giving you a colorful description of mathematical numbers and symbols and then calling you a pleb for ignoring influential middle eastern philosophers and mathematicians.

Stephen is pretentious and a self parody but he is hiding within insecurities and fears. He has all the gifts, his family ties are severed he can go back to Europe but he is still in Dublin getting drunk and teaching kids. He has a very pessimistic ironic approach to life.
In contrast Bloom, is older, his wife cucks him, his daughter will marry and is almost gone already. His family name died with him. Despite becoming Catholic he is still ostracised by the Citizen and others as other. But in the face of his fathers suicide and son's death he still goes on with a positive and kind aspect of life.
To write the whole book from Stephens perspective would be to just write Portrait again, Stephen still isn't the author, he is still struggling against the same problems and to write in the intrusive style of Ulysses for 900 pages on Stephen wouldn't have been the pro life novel Joyce wanted.

That podcast is pretty sweet

>what is Ithica, Circe, nausicaa, Penelope, Oxen of the sun, Sirens, or hades
all equally as good or better than the telemachiad

This is essentially me.

This hits too close to home, fuck

>Ulysses
>mspaint imitation of Infinite Jest meme cover typesetting

Subtle.

Well...this is me

I get what you're saying. I just like to imagine what could've been, even if others wouldn't necessarily like it...

De gustibus etc., bruh.

i'm a pleb
i've tried reading ulysses at least 5 times and every single time i can't get past that chapter where he's visiting the newspaper office

That podcast is a godsend for an uncultured pleb like me, it's given me the motivation to actually read some philisophy instead of internet summaries.

>Intelligent, nihilistic, with a wicked sense of humor

Oh yeah, I remember that one. Pretty damn dull and unrewarding, IIRC.

If you force yourself to continue reading, you'll find some easier and also some very beautiful parts, it's tough but worth it if just for the ending chapter and its end (also the end of the book, of course), which I'm surprised Nabokov called "the weakest chapter".

That's not even one of the hard ones.

lestrygonians is ace you fuck

Calling yourself a Byronic hero is the 19th century equivalent of wearing a fedora

I'm around page 580 and I feel like the understanding you get of bloom as a character is one of the strongest things in this book. I have never really liked Stephen very much (including in portrait), but his stream of consciousness is a lot of fun. Except for the Shakespeare/library chapter. I didn't enjoy that one.