What do YOU put in your chili?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/eRU1W8JZOqE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Nothing.

Love.

Delicious.

I don't make my own.
I either buy some that the supermarkets made or whatever can looks decent. I'll usually chop up a chipotle if I have some, throw in some paprika and call it a day.

Beef, beans, tomatoes, macaroni, onion, mushroom, chili packet.

Beef/pork, beans, tomatoes, bell pepper, red onions, corn and get this, thinly cubed taters.

Not beans that's for sure

sugar spice and everything nice(corn syrup)

Best pre-mix

Joking aside, McCormick seasoning really is tasty. I've never had French's, but the package design looks very unattractive.

>beans
>in chilli

It truly is my favorite. I find the McCormick stuff to be strangely bitter.

What's the appeal to chili? It's greasy as fuck and after you add a bunch of shit it's unhealthy also. Maybe in the olden days on the farm when they had nothing but beef they just added random shit and called it chili because that's all they had, but why in 2017 would you willingly eat chili? You're probably just going to add cheese and fritos to it. Why don't you just eat a stick of butter and get it over with?

>No judgement

Yeah, sure.

Same thing everyone else puts in theirs, only I use fresh scotch bonnets or habaneros for the heat.

My death row meal would be a giant bowl of frito pie. Chili is just fucking comfy man.

Do a google image search for chili and see if you can find any pics without beans. It's a staple part of the recipe, you goon.

It's just ground beef and vegetables. What are you talking about?

So is a hamburger. My point is that most people add a bunch of unhealthy toppings to chili that will kill them in the long run. You can do so much with beef, why make something unhealthy like chili out of it?

Is your argument that chili is unhealthy because many people eat unhealthy things alongside chili? So what about those of us that just enjoy eating chili on its own?

One year-old freezer-burned brisket

Toppings such as shredded cheese, green onions and arsenic?

Honestly, chili is one of few things I never bother to make. Just buy it in a can. I eat it so rarely, and don't even really like it. I add diced onion, a little butter and a fried or poached egg sometimes. Chili is basically something I keep around for when I'm too lazy to cook.

for real though, chili is the one and only application I have found sriracha to work with

3 lbs beef, cubed or roughly ground
2 each pasilla, guajillo, New Mexico reds, arbols
3 anchos
4 tbs Gebhardt chili powder
1 tsp each cumin and ground oregano
12 oz Shiner Bock or lonestar
1 can Ro-tel
1 small can green chile
2 cloves garlic
1 small onion
1 tbs white vinegar
Masa to thicken

Brown beef and onion in large dutch oven, add garlic when beef is half way done. Add other ingredients and prepared chiles. Simmer over low heat at least three hours.

Does masa really work to thicken shit? I would have just assumed it was too course to work as well as flour or starch. That's a good idea though, flavourwise.

ja/ck/ is a culinary god, you all just can't understand his wisdom. Like when Jesus walked the earth and everyone shunned him.

How can I understand his wisdom and grace?

Masa is traditionally what is used to thicken chili. It works great. I buy Maseca because that's what I see the mojados buying. It makes decent tortillas too.

I'm definitely gonna try it for my next soup at work. I never would have thought of that. Should I add it like a slurry or like, make a tortilla ball and toss it in?

I've never used it in a soup, with chili you add it about half an hour before you serve it. Some people say it's cheating, but it is San Antonio style, the masa adds a nuttiness and touch of sweetness that is necessary to the dish IMHO.

Sorry, forgot to say that I just dump in about a tbs and a half, dry, and mix well

>dropping it in there

ffs that was cringey to watch, whenever I put something in the deep fryer, I put little bit of it in, then drop it, no splash back.

Because it tastes good. Why eat anything at all except for filtered water and supplement pills?

Honestly? a dash of Tabasco.

caramelized onions

Cayenne, paprika, black pepper, cumin/tumeric if I am feeling cheeky. Put that on top of diced tomatoes, kidney beans, diced jalapenos and some corn.

>dropping it in there
i didn't even have to see the post you were commenting on to know what webm would be in it

Good chili coming through

This is very similar to the way I do mine. I usually use a beef/pork mixture though. I'll admit I have used tomato paste too, and I am not ashamed.

You can even use crushed up corn chips and it'll work okay. I've done it before.

I put the following in my Chili because it barely changes the taste; though it honestly does make it a little bit not as good, the health benefits are amazing and it still tastes amazing overall:

spinach
brocooli
carrots
avocado
a variety of random peppers (hungarian, bell, bannana, chipotle, list goes on and on)
okra
green beans
cauliflower
beans (don't kill me)

the real question should be, what do you put your chili ON?

it's really weird that hillbillies made spaghetti bolognese and think they stumbled on a culinary innovation

I made chili a few nights ago, the same way I always do, but it ended up tasting literally like nothing. I don't just mean bland; it actually tasted exactly like water but in chili form. I added a ton of shit afterwards and the flavor didn't change at all so I scrapped it. Then I went and got the exact same ingredients, made it the exact same way, and this time it tasted fine. What could've caused that to happen the first time?

But why is there pasta in it? Isn't it just spaghetti now?

They do that in Chicago for some reason.

Google "Skyline chili". It's...special. Flavored with a fuckload of cinnamon, served on top of spaghetti and topped with a massive amount of shredded cheese.

Here is my /fitfuck/ chili, might do a cook along next time I make it.

>1lb extra lean ground turkey, cooked in skillet.
>1 or 2 cans black beans washed*
>1 can red kidney beans washed
>1 red bell pepper
>1 yellow onion
>1 or 2 cans diced tomatoes*
>2 or 3 cloves garlic
>dried red chilies
>spice blend (ancho chili powder, red chili powder, coriander, cumin, salt, and a dash of paprika and cinnamon.)

Put it all in a slow cooker on low for 6 to 8 hours. Garnish with cilantro, and salt to taste.

* I vary the number of cans I use depending on how far I want to stretch it, or if I plan on eating it with rice.

I need to figure out the macros, but I promise they good.

onion, mince, salt, garlic, brown
smoked paprika, hot cayenne, ground cumin, canned tomatoes, kidney beans, water
simmer until done
adjust for seasoning
serve with rice

It's not really chili, it's a Greek dish called kima. Damn filthy Greeks.

yeah, chicago has a history of ruining good italian food

cum

How do you guys add so little cumin? I add a shitload to similar servings

Doesn't that mean it's a cereal?

>thinly cubed taters
Oh shit, almost like a stew. Nice idea.

I know what I'm putting in my next batch of chili.

Chili is just putting what you got in a pot an hoping.

youtu.be/eRU1W8JZOqE shit was delicious

Beef, at least two different type of beans, tomatos, peppers, onions garlic and my own seasoning mix

I guess literally everything is unhealthy now since everything can be eaten with unhealthy foods. Gosh, you're retarded.

It's like a stew, but with more vegetables and finer pieces of meat and other fillings instead of a gravy-like sauce.

The appeal is "spicy meal in a bowl".
You have your proteins, your vegetables, a bit of roughage (usually beans, other starchy bits, or a piece of toast on the side), and a touch of dairy with either some shredded cheese on top or a dollop of sour cream. But it also wouldn't be chili without copious mixtures of spices, herbs, and seasonings. Those add the flavour that makes chili what it is.

A fairly balanced meal, though I wouldn't rely on it as a staple. Nice and warm, holding the bowl keeps your hands warm, easy to eat with just a spoon. Makes a great, filling, and comfy winter dish.

this with meat and corn. also, I mix the beans; black, kidney, those spotted ones and sometimes white beans.

I've a somewhat related question: how and why do you add the onions and the garlic at the same time? onions take a LOT longer to brown than finely chopped garlic; its impossible to add them simultaneously and not burn the garlic

>Every single fucking piece sticks to his hands after he lets go, so instead of placing them in the oil, they all drop as he tries to pull his hand away, splashing everywhere

Jack is the pinnacle of cringe.

canned pineapple
its tasty

I sweat the onions, then brown the mince, add the garlic to infuse into the hot mince grease, add the spices stir them through the oil to 'activate' their aromas, then add the tomatoes and drained kidney beans and add a tomato tin or two of water

>spaghetti and meat sauce on a flatbread, covered in a mountain of cheese
I don't see any chili here at all. Did you post the wrong picture?

Onions, bell peppers, ground beef, tomato paste, mixed dried herbs, cumin, beef stock (or broth), chili powder, and pinto (or kidney) beans.
I only use chili con carne as a topping for hot dogs, and would never eat it by itself.

try it with rice
its good

I've done that before. I've also eaten rice with ragù. It's good, but not that good.

Exactly as I do... just asking bc I've read multiple times now how you "add onions and garlic, THEN brown" or sweat them...

well in theory the onions protect the garlic, but I dont take that chance

I've never tried mushrooms! How does it impact the flavor? What type do you use?

I mean, minus the cinnamon, it sounds pretty good (couldn't hurt to have some starch to soak up that oil). I'd just never seen that before I guess.

...in theory, but never in praxis: I've burnt more than one load of garlic (mixed with the onions, added when onions were done) by simply leaving it in for a few seconds too long(back as a wee lad learning to cook, hasnt happened in a really long time). the onions don't protect it in any way.
porcini are great, also I've substituted meat with brown champions for a vegetarian """chili""" and it turned out allrght. Mind that you need loads of mushrooms and they are quite spacey, but they shrivel up as they cook, and for chili they're better "well done" than sauteed imo, adds more flavour. I throw them in raw, btw and let them cook in the chili, not in an extra pan

Raw onion, shredded cheese, hot sauce.

spotted the vegetarian

I was completely turned off of mushrooms in chili because my mom would put canned mushrooms in hers when I was growing up. They ended up with an awful, slimy, rubbery texture and I just can't stomach them in chili anymore, fresh or otherwise.

Those are clearly toppings for chili, he's probably confused.

I don't eat poor people food

Only the finest Trump Tower taco bowls and KFC buckets for our VIP over here.

you're the only one who mentioned trump

>ground turkey thigh
>garlic
>chili powder, cumin, salt, black pepper, oregano, cayenne, paprika
>black beans
>kidney beans
>white beans
>baked beans w/ maple
>corn
>diced tomatoes
>beer

I used to use chickpeas, but they took so long to cook so I swapped them for white beans. It's really good.

pinto beans, lentils, split peas, thinly sliced carrots, tomato paste, spices, powdered ginger, aspartame.

Normal stuff, chili seasoning from a packet, and Chili's salsa