gravity's rainbow? fuck off.
ulysses? nice for someone who's a fucking literary academic.

finally a meme has pulled through to the extent that it has left me in tears post finishing. the beauty of this work is beyond anything i've read in recent memory. it's good i haven't fully given up on you Veeky Forums.

It is good isn't it?

when does it get good? the beginning seems underwhelming

Check the rest of Bolaño's work.
I guess you already know Borges, so you should read the other great inspiration of Bolaño: Roberto Arlt.

where's best to start with Arlt?

A lot of people say they find the ending of 2666 disappointing, perhaps because it leaves some things unresolved. But I'll never forget the Fürst Pückler.

The Seven Madmen and The Flamethrowers.

Really enjoyed The Savage Detectives, but I didn't get any further in this than where that woman was fucking the different academics before the book was due. Is it better than TSD?

What the fuck kind of synchronicity is this? I just bought this book last month on a whim, didn't even know the author.

I'm reading it alongside other stuff so I've barely scratched the surface but I fucking love it so far.

>letting the meme's get to you
>not reading hp and unironically enjoying it
The mark of a true pleb

>last month

Your buying 2666 and this thread aren't really synchronized.

Synchronized enough, considering I'm currently reading it.

Last month isn't even a drop in the bucket, user. It's like a nano-drop.

I've seen like 10 threads about 2666 in the last month.

I-I haven't been on /lit in five months.

After the Academics

I mean their part is good but it's easily the hardest to get into

I'm halfway through, need to finish it until friday because i have to return it to the uni library

>spic author
Nty

I'm actually planning on reading each section in a different year, just like the author intended.

Savage Detectives is really good too

I think the reason he said he wanted to split the books was financial, he was dying and wanted to provide for his family for a while after his death. They published it in one volume because they knew that's the way he would do it if he didn't had cancer.

It's an amazing book. Keep going, it just gets better and better

Then I will read it one section a year because fate decided his cancer and that's the way he would have wanted it if he lived a few years longer.

Also you're going to have a hard time since characters transit from one section to another, and it's hard to keep track of them all even if you're reading it normally, because a character can make a small (but important) appearance in the first sections, and then come back later interacting with other characters and having a bigger role in the plot. Don't make it harder then it needs to be.

Well shit. Guess I better go all in.

Did you read the english translation, OP? I'm wondering because I've been putting this off because of fear of reading another bad translation.

Hora de aprender español compadre.

nah

Shouldn't it be 'es hora ...'?

900 pages? Ain't nobody got time for that shit, faggots.

>sub vocalizers
lmao

This book is unfinished correct?

i'm not op, but i read the english version and it was great. i mean i have no idea how it compares to the original, but it was a great book

i'm op. read the english and thought it did a great job of capturing the humour of the original, which to me is a sign of a good translation.

This thread leads me to believe I wouldn't like 2666. Will avoid, thanks OP.

Is the English version easier to read than GR? 2666 doesn't get a good translation in my language, if the English one is easier than GR then I would read it instead.

Not better, but good in different things. The 2666 wasn't exactly finished, so style and pacing are a bit worse, while the themes and motifs are better.

fucking plebeian not even listening to the musicality of the text, just scanning for "facts" about the "characters" and "plot"

>He thinks you have to sound it out in your head to get the musicality of the text.

It would be an interesting experiment, but It's really better if you read it whole. The themes and events are fresh and correlate more ( I think )

it could be both :^) Just like "time to learn english/ it's time to learn english.

technically yes, thematically and "spiritually" that's a big no. It's as finished as it needs to be and even though some of the plot points are not tied up, it doesnt matter, by the end you're left with darkness and grief and just a sliver of hope.

way easier. Original Spanish is very simple and only gets complex in certain parts when talking philosophically and dreamlike, but it doesnt extend throughout the book. People say its hard because of the themes and length (just like my benis)

>he thinks you dont have to listen to music to listen to music

This, you have to know when to speedread

Not that other guy, but I heard that there was wordplay in the original that the translator admitted they didn't even notice, which seems like a huge red flag. It'd be one thing if it was consciously omitted, but not even seeing it makes me question the translator's proficiency with the language.

>He thinks you need ears to hear

what are you a fucking Newt?

Seriously, though, if you think us fast readers (note not speed readers) are missing out something, you severely are lacking in reading skills.

>leer traducciones

I didnt say that, it was another user, I do however like to take my time when reading. Sometimes I reread good parts because of their impact or their lyrical structure, and if you're speeding through the whole thing without looking back, maybe you're missing something, but maybe not.

I take my time with reading but I don't literally sound out words in my head like a child learning to read. That's what I was getting at.

but half of the enjoyment is the auditory side.

You do know that language comes from spoken word, right?

>but half of the enjoyment is the auditory side.

The book is shite. Nothing happens, and not even in a good way.

She didn't fuck all of them.

>but I don't literally sound out words in my head like a child learning to read
Are you fucking retarded?

>I don't literally sound out words in my head like a child learning to read.
Oh come on user, how else do you read works like Ulysses?

>he dead
:'(

>high>>>low drama as the measure of artistic quality

2666 has been a meme on Veeky Forums for quite some time you dope.