A diet that consists predominantly of rice leads to the use of opium and narcotics...

>A diet that consists predominantly of rice leads to the use of opium and narcotics, just as a diet that consists predominantly of potatoes leads to the use of alcohol. But it also has subtler effects that include ways of thinking and feeling that have narcotic effects. This agrees with the fact that those who promote narcotic ways of thinking and feeling, like some Indian Gurus, promote a diet that is entirely vegetarian and would like to impose that as a law upon the masses. In this way they want to create and strengthen a need that they are in a position to satisfy.

Vegans and eastern philo btfo at the same time. T o p l a d

Other urls found in this thread:

books.google.nl/books?id=pw5yQXC3wrsC&lpg=PA109&ots=njctRl9SHk&dq=nietzsche hashish dutchman&hl=nl&pg=PA109#v=onepage&q=nietzsche hashish dutchman&f=false
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Precursor to alt right idea of races preferring different cultures and societal structures desu.

Big N on point as usual

So what was Big N eating that fucked his health up so badly?

I'd say burgers are more narcotic than vegetables. Roman soldiers lived mostly on the latter.

Ehhhh

He probably had some gut disease or irritable bowel syndrome shit and ate tons of grains that was really bad for it

Most retarded thing I've ever heard. This guy was supposed to be smart?

No, one of the most influential philosophers in the history of mankind was actually really really stupid.

nah

the father of modern feminism and anti-colonialism

4 kilos fruit / day

>First it was the Frankfurt school
>Then Marx himself
>Now Nietzsche

Who's next, Hegel?

i think there are already some conspiracy, i mean scientifically researched, websites that detail how hegelian dialectics are the tool of the illuminati to destroy western civilization

so nothing new

also popper and other retards saying that plato and hegel are the fathers of totalitarianism

I agree with you that popper is a retard but I do not understand how you can honestly fail to see the totalitarianism inherent in Platonic philosophy. He was literally friends with the Spartan tyrants who ran Athens after the war and attacks democracy at every opportunity. His Republic is basically a dictatorship.

yes

in Plato's republic there were no slaves and everybody could reach any post if he was fit for it

it was basically a communist utopia with beardy guys as kings

Nietzsche literally ate more than three pounds of fruit a day.

>In order to alleviate his suffering from chronic headaches, persistent vomiting, and a painful digestive disorder, Nietzsche tried a long list of medications as well as a variety of diets. Ironically, it is very likely that Nietzsche’s obsession with fruit was responsible for inflaming his digestive discomfort. According to the innkeeper at the Alpine Rose, where Nietzsche stayed for an extended time in 1884, Nietzsche’s daily food intake consistently included a beefsteak for breakfast and fruit for the rest of the day. Not only did Nietzsche purchase fruit from the inn and from local Italian vendors, but he received baskets of fruit shipped to him by his friends as well. This wasn’t a small amount of fruit. Rather, on more than one occasion, Nietzsche ate almost three kilograms (6.5 lbs) of fruit during the course of a single day.

A fucking madman.

>the fruitman from the alpines

>By 1882 Nietzsche was taking huge doses of opium but was still having trouble sleeping.[53] In 1883, while staying in Nice, he was writing out his own prescriptions for the sedative chloral hydrate, signing them "Dr. Nietzsche".[54]

He was also into hashish and all kinds of prescription drugs.

I think he's just having a laff

Got to love the lad.

This is why I hate philosophy. He just made several claims, stated them as if they were fact, and provided no evidence. Yet people do not tear his work apart. Every time I read a philosophy book, I'm just left asking "prove "it".

At least other bullshit practices like sociology and psychology have some research to back them up

meritocracy is closer to capitalism than to communism

You can look for evidence for or against his views yourself, you incurious twit.

Oh, and btw: in broad strokes (that is to say, if you ignore the correlation/causation distinction) he's actually not wrong even when quoted out of context like here. However, what Nietzsche is talking about here are cultural differences, a favourite subject of his.

The stuff about food is a proxy. A proxy for what, that should be obvious enough, if you weren't a literal retard who can't think his way out of a hat.

>just as a diet that consists predominantly of potatoes leads to the use of alcohol.
First of all, how do you possibly reach that conclusion? Second of all, why does anyone take Nietzsche seriously when he ignores material conditions to this extent?

I am afraid I am that retard. So, with your knowledge of Nietzsche in context, and his conclusion, can you please explain his intention in this passage?

>I'm just left asking "prove "it".
proof is a social construct hyped by liberals and libertarians centuries ago

This is why I hate this board. Someone just makes several claims, states them as if they are fact, and provides no evidence. Yet people do not tear his post apart. Every time I read such a post, I'm just left asking "prove "it".
At least other bullshit posters like sociologists and psychologists have some research to back them up.

Nietzsche was good at the Greeks but extremely incompetent in other areas he spoke with seeming authority about. He didn't understand Darwin, Buddhism or medicine at all for example.

People largely ignore the parts of his work where he posits shit like this or interpret it as a metaphor. The idea of a doctor prescribing a lifestyle which creates the disease he is best suited to cure has applications outside of just saying 'lol rice = u use drugs'.

this was the 19th century of FOUR SCOOPS.

Why aren't you eating 6.5lbs of fruit per day to become a great philosopher?

>irish eat lots of potatos
>irish drink lots of alcohol
>therefore people who eat lots of potatos drink lots of alcohol

or maybe he had russians on his mind. either way, same train of thought.

He was probably talking about the German since he always trashes their love for beer so much.

This is why analytic philosophy is a thing, user, a bunch of important philosophers liked to make grand sweeping statements out of nowhere. If you want a careful piecemeal approach then you'll need a lot more reading and work however, everyone can invent a system of the whole universe and be smart.

yeah communism with eugenics and a rigid class based system

>>This is why analytic philosophy i
sterile activity which is just a waste of university money

>that fucking pic

lmao

Source that neitszche was into hashish?

books.google.nl/books?id=pw5yQXC3wrsC&lpg=PA109&ots=njctRl9SHk&dq=nietzsche hashish dutchman&hl=nl&pg=PA109#v=onepage&q=nietzsche hashish dutchman&f=false

Normies think this is crazy but that weight in fruit is not much

>"Cure"

I eat about two kilograms of apples daily. Should I be worried?

Explain

horsemeat

>Rigid caste society is basically communism

Alrighty then.

One watermelon weights more than that, and it's not impossible to eat one watermelon through a day, specially if you're a german autist spending the summer in a warm place.

Vegetables > fruits

>One watermelon weights more than that
yeah, because it´s full of water

So am I.

your full of shit

That's the point. Fruit is heavy in volume low in calories. It's very easy to eat a lot of fruit.

Castes are hereditary, positions in The Republic are not

Two kilograms of acid and sugar? Yes.

Modern apples are basically candy. Fruit should be eaten sparingly. Whole grains, legumes and vegetables are where it's at.

This is actually something called a joke. Nietzsche has a lot of them in his works. Chinese people are known for eating a lot of rice and also for having a lot of poppy fields from which they can consume opium, leading (Nietzsche makes the joking, over-the-top comparison) to an opiated-like philosophy of life (Daoism, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc --- modes of life where one tries to deaden oneself to all suffering and make oneself passive and only feel a pleasant buzz all the time "enlightenment", "wuwei", "nirvana", etc.). Irish people supposedly love potatoes and are commonly thought of as alcoholics.

However, the other part is not a joke. Nietzsche seems to really believe that changes in diet can produce changes in thinking and that is why religions prescribe certain forms of diet. If you do some research into this, you can find that diet does, in fact, have huge effects on the way one thinks.

Finally, (this is the more obscure part of Nietzsche), Nietzsche claims he doesn't care about truth, only what makes one stronger and more powerful. According to Nietzsche, beliefs are only to be valued inasmuch as they make one feel stronger. These pseudo-scientific, somewhat joking correlations are meant to explode the preconceived notions in the minds of what he were afraid would be sickly, religion-obsessed and pious potential artists interested in Eastern religions who thought they had all the answers to life (a trend that already had begun with Schopenhauer). He meant to get people to think in ways entirely different from what they wanted to, because he was afraid an obsession with religion and morality would lead to a bland totalitarianism and leveling where everyone glorifies weakness and forces everyone to be equal, even those who are "better" than other people, and in which people become afraid of suffering and searching after extreme joys.

So basically, he doesn't give a fuck about truth, just about what makes him feel stronger and the reader potentially feel stronger (which is, paradoxically, very benevolent of him, actually).

>ecause he was afraid an obsession with religion and morality would lead to a bland totalitarianism and leveling where everyone glorifies weakness and forces everyone to be equal,

>"the leveling process of European man is the great process which should not be checked: one should even accelerate it..."
>t. Fredo

Nietzsche was more of a 'let's get it over with' than a prevention type of lad.

>Whole grains
>legumes
>are where it's at.

RETARD.

You're not one of those silly paleo cunts are you?

They are the kind that grows in my backyard. I'm not even sure what type of apples they are.

>Irish people supposedly love potatoes and are commonly thought of as alcoholics.
Did Joyce love potatoes too?

>that changes in diet
and climate !

>not denoting the federally registered trademark with the appropriate service mark symbol

Communism is classless.

good post user
10/10

Its still relatively close to being an early form of communism when you consider that the classes are just
philosopher-rulers
warriors
everyone else
and the rulers are actually supposed to live in relative poverty (as in they won't have too much luxury or any property; not real poverty). the "lowest" class would actually end up being the richest one.

plus his idea was formed in a time when women were oppressed as fuck and slaves existed; his vision is radically less of an oppressive class society, even if we may view it as a very strict one
its not literally the same as communism but you can sorta see that there are similar considerations there

that said this is an argument that I am not willing to get into here, I know it won't end well.

this is a nice book by the way, though obviously more Badiou than Plato... still, it aims to "translate" the original and can give some new ideas about it

_this_ book is a nice book

doesn't that almost kinda make some sense tho

>Foucault was heavily influenced by Nietzsche
>Foucault heavily influenced modern feminist and postcolonial ideas

or something

Hegel is an unlikely target, the right make appropriate him for their own use tho I guess, I've seen some people like that. And some nationalist ideas in Europe _were_ influenced by (possibly mis)readings of Hegel...

Hegel is the retard who said that the true enlightenment is to study the society, not the nature contrary to the other retards from the enlightenment.

He didn't eat 3kg of fibers and sugar man, fruits weigh a lot exactly because they contain a lot of water. 3 kg of fruit is a lot but if that's all what you eat you're fine. That being said they are hard to digest so if he had digestion issues it's not the best idea.

Worst case scenario he was eating something particular that wasn't good for his bowels. Maybe even an allergy, or some of those things that aren't good for irritable bowels.

But eh, I'm sure he tried many different variations of diet during his life. If there was a magical fix, surely he'd notice that. Living with an IBS (for example, I've no idea what he had) is hard even today when we do have information.

At his very worst when he attempts anthropology.

Good point, it's hard to remember everything Nietzsch. says, it's often been said that no matter how you try to summarize him, there's always a quote from his works that contradicts it, he seems to have intended this since he hated systems, philosophers who had a urge to systematize everything.

Indeed. I did like your post though, I think the Nietzsche as psychologist/cultural doctor who cares primarily about vitality is one of the most fruitful ways to read him.