Three Kingdoms

Does Veeky Forums read RotTK? What translation do you read? I'm enjoying the Moss Roberts translation immensely.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wade–Giles
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>not reading a book with 108 protagonists instead
GTFO

I played Dynasty Warriors. It's basically the same thing.

I admit that's why I wanted to read the book but I'm really enjoying it, and previously having played the games makes it easier to remember who each character is

My brother has those ones, he's even got Chinese copies since he did Chinese studies at uni. He's actually written his dissertation on the northern campaigns of Zhuge Liang which is great when I remember us playing Dynasty Warriors 2 when we were little.

I fucking love the Three Kingdoms. That's why I started learning Chinese in the first place. I want to read it in its original beauty and be able to read more resources about the topic.

I tried making an encyclopedia about the book where I documented every fact stated in the book and organized it accordingly, but I have up. I wrote 20 pages in 6 hours for the first chapter only...

I have the other version
I forgot the translator
but I didn't like the translation because all the names were mixed up from what I'd learned from DW and that just confused me.

I also read it when I was in 8th grade.
I'd like to pick up this edition and give it a reread.
Probably my favorite book.

hey man I loved water margin and all, but three kingdoms is the better work

>Instigating a false dichotomy between OotM and RotTK

Slay this traitor to the Han and put his head on display as an example.

Let us know how it works out.

I know the tedium of making detailed notes.

I've read the Brewitt-Taylor about 10 times (I was 17 when dynasty warriors 2 came out and basically read it 2-3 times a year for a few years).

I really enjoyed the beginning up until the death of cao cao, but the rest is take it or leave it. i havent read it for more than 5 years though, and in retrospect I enjoyed OotM more.

What aspects of OotM did you find appealing? Also, why do you think it isn't talked about as much as JTTW or ROTK?

>No insecure subhuman spamming "ching chong"

Did that fag die? Because I really wouldn't mind.

Taylor seems the more literary translation but i can't deal with the naming system he used.

Is he the "I'll use Italian" one?

>thinking Chinese can be translated into English or vice versa

You're basically reading the translator's fanfic.

I know but learning classical Chinese takes a while :(

They translated Finnegans Wake into Chinese.

Can't say anything about FW but they also translated GR into Chinese and it's utter shit.

I think the characters are definitely more human. Cao Cao is compelling because he really is the only character in RotTK that is actually a human being, along maybe with the elder Sun. The rest are either pious geniuses/warriors or caricature villains or fools. The action scenes are far better in Outlaws of the Marsh, the stories are more relatable, and there is (except for the probably tacked on last part where they fight the horse nomads) a certain folksy charm to the story, which clearly doesnt take itself too seriously.

yes, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wade–Giles

its awful.

To be fair, so is pinyin.

Still prefer it.

The fuck is OotM

Outlaws of the Marsh i.e. Water Margin.

I have only read "Outlaws of the Marsh", does RotTK have the same kind of fucked up morality? As in killing somebody's family and ruining his reputation as a plan to make him join your good-guys group?

i loved that shit

Pic related.

Also Zhang Fei is constantly fucking up his men and allies.

>the moment when his son goes full retarded

nice, is that one of the good guys?

He's the nicest guy in the book.

Liu Bei had wicked ambitions to be the emperor, and schemed to eliminate anyone in his way. He was just better at pretending to be a nice person than Cao Cao. That and the propaganda written down after the conflict. Cao Cao or Liu Bei, either choice as emperor didn't matter. Their heir apparents were incompetent (Liu Shan literally dropped on the head), and China would have remained in perpetual torment. Good riddance to both.

Is that you, Sima Yi?

No shit, historically. Historically, every commoner sucked Cao Cao's dick (for the old "he fucked with the nobility but was a'ight with the commoners" reason you get with everyone from Ivan to Nobunaga).