Why is it that Hamlet is widely considered the greatest character of all time?

Why is it that Hamlet is widely considered the greatest character of all time?

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=hamlet in germany
lmgtfy.com/?q=hamlet in japan
youtube.com/watch?v=1cwQc9O3W18
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Who?
Where?
When?
Why?

he should be holding a piece of fried chciken.

Paapa Essiedu
Royal Shakespeare Company

I've never seen Hamlet where Hamlet was white. All the Shakespeare plays I've seen were high school productions.

did you have to think very hard for that one?

No, blacks are well-known for their love of fried chicken, so it came easily.

Hamlet isn't white anyway he's Germanic

>Daaaaaaayaaaamn, poor Yorick! I knew his ass, Horatio. A dude always laughing his ass off and always fly. Sometimes he carried me around when I was a boy, but I ain't no fag. Where your jokes now, nigga?

lol

Sheeit, Claudius killed my dad? what dad? you sayin he be kang and sheeit?

haha, straight to r/Veeky Forums my fellow redditor! ;^)

whats r/Veeky Forums

the adult request board
see

wtf thats not sasuke

Because he isn't an archetype

That's it?

He has troubles and is conflicted, so we can relate to and pity him, but he's a boss with a qt girlfriend who is funny and does what he wants, so we also admire him.
The way he handles things is strange and nobody in the play understands. We half way understand and that makes us relate but also wonder about him. This sets up every action to be understood and also questioned, so he's constantly in your mind in multiple ways.

Alas, poor Yorick, I knew him. In America.

Lady MacBeth's better.

For those reasons everyone likes him. I, personally, dislike him because even though he has all the stuff user mentioned, he's really fucking pathetic and edgey as shit.

So edgey no one understands him.

He's artistically inclined, in sharp contrast to most of the play's cast, more concerned with the life of the mind than petty court politics. He's also the sharpest character in the play, and runs rings around others whenever they're in a room together. His insanity act almost seems like an excuse to show off how impressive his (and Shakespeare's) command of the English language is.

So he's the greatest character of all time because he's mysterious? That's dumb as fuck.

>He's artistically inclined, in sharp contrast to most of the play's cast
Why does that matter? He's a fictional character.
>His insanity act almost seems like an excuse to show off how impressive his (and Shakespeare's) command of the English language is.
Elaborate?

Don Quixote is the greatest character in the history of literature.

And why is that?

Lady Macbeth was the first character I ever truly realized was human. Dynamic, flawed, multidimensional, and with motives that conflicted with her humanity. I'm just now noticing this eleven years later, but that was my second real literary experience. The first of which being the ending of Of Mice and Men.

because because.

Easily

ShyGOAT>Hamlet

BUT WHY

Why don't you read it to find out, faggot. Not everything in life can be spoonfed.

When does le narwhal bacon haha xD?

Fucking kill me, life is futile and existence is pain but I'm too much of a coward for suicide.

No. He attains greatness only in conjunction with Sancho. They may be the greatest duo of all time, but Hamlet is the greatest individual character of all time.

The archetypes are way better characters than Hamlet.

Lol

Of all the wonderful things he does?

This almost made me spit out my drink

We're off to see the Windmill

bump

If you have to bump your bait thread, it's low quality bait

How is this a bait thread

bump

>this picture

I saw this performance in London. It was strange. They gave it an African aesthetic. By strange, I mostly mean shit, I was bored to tears.

And I like Hamlet.

>It was strange. They gave it an African aesthetic.
What's strange? The Lion King did the same thing.

Lion king didn't have them speaking like European noblemen. The overall effect was odd.

I understand what you mean, I downloaded it and I expected them to use the original text, but it had a weird effect.
The director said it was inspired by Ghana, but they still referred to the country as Denmark.

The tribal drums in particular seemed out of place, and every time they referred to "Denmark" (even though people were waving around AK-47's) it took me completely out of it. A shame, the guy who played Hamlet was actually pretty talented and seemed nice. The duel towards the end was also lackluster.

I think it could've worked well had they not been afraid to alter the text, but I admittedly didn't even finish watching. It's just too long, you gotta wait an hour before anything even happens.
I've yet to see a Hamlet adaptation interesting enough to justify it's length. I don't see what's so impressive about Shakespeare's language.

bump

>Where your jokes now, nigga?
made me chuckle, thanks

BETTER QUESTION:

Why do people think Hamlet wants to fuck his mom?

Saw that show in March.

He was very good.

They obv shoehorned in the African / African-American culture at times, specifically Basquiat artwork. But it didnt take anything away from the text or the script. Blacklet was very competent.

this is a thread about the fucking discussion of characters you muppet, if that's not your bag then g t f o

People like to project their degeneracy onto art

>specifically Basquiat artwork
In what way did they use Basquiat?
And would it have been better if they had altered the text? Was them referring to Denmark as African not jarring?

t. Anglo
In non-english speaking Countries Nobody gives a fuck about hamlet

This is factually incorrect. You can't debate this shit, Hamlet is considered amazing everywhere.

Basquiat was American, and the text wasn't altered.

I imagine they used Basquiat because his paintings exhibit a frenetic and ambiguous intellectual energy that mirrors Hamlet's own.

is that sweat or pocks on his face

I know the text wasn't altered, I was asking if it were better had it been.

sweat obviously

They didnt alter anything of the original text. All the speech was exactly the same.

Pretty much nailed it my man.

No. Why, do you think it would have?

>Why, do you think it would have?
I don't, I didn't see the whole thing, but I imagine the use of the original text was jarring/polarizing.

No, not really.

Proofs please?
I've never heard about the play being performed, and the only people who care are English students

Let me help you with that, son.

lmgtfy.com/?q=hamlet in germany

Where are you from?

lmgtfy.com/?q=hamlet in japan

etc.

bump

youtube.com/watch?v=1cwQc9O3W18

No one's read Sophocles, Euripides, Aeschylus, etc.

Liechtenstein :^)

>the list could go on...

I mean it really does look like he's holding a big fried chicken thigh tho

>Hamlet
>Black

No wonder his father is always disappearing - Hahaha!