What do you guys read after you've read all the "high brow" literature type of books? Like all Pynchon, Joyce, etc. etc...

What do you guys read after you've read all the "high brow" literature type of books? Like all Pynchon, Joyce, etc. etc. works. Do you read normie "New York Times Best Seller" books? Do you read nonfiction? WattPad-esque online books?
Pic unrelated

Do you realize how much "highbrow" stuff there is? Enough for a lifetime.

I switch between high and low brow to give my brain a break.

If I'm not reading "highbrow" books, I'm reading fantasy novels. They're pretty light reads with no real themes.

After some dense reading I like to throw in some Sci-Fi.

Easy to get through and enjoyable, only takes a few days to finish one.

Nietzsche, Kierkegaard, Plato.

Atmospheric stuff. Fall is approaching, so Dracula and Sleepy Hollow are read every year.

if you think you've run out of 'highbrow' literature you simply aren't looking very hard.

i do read my fair share of sci-fi, crime, horror, and comic books in addition to the more lofty stuff, though. as far as i'm concerned this material has merit, but i'm sure some here would consider it irredeemably lowbrow.

I think I misinterpreted OP's question.

Anyway, Noir and horror mostly

Same.

>he thinks he can run out of good literature
You can run out of meme charts from a board where people don't read and talk about books when they've only seen the cover.

I don't usually read those high brow books. Honestly I stick to genre fiction more often than not. Usually the only problem I have with finding a new book is trying to find one in the particular genre that I'm feeling right then.

Rec me some atmospherics

>running out of "high brow" literature
>reading zero nonfiction

You would have no understanding of the historical, cultural, social, and philosophical contexts of the books you read. So, yeah, read some nonfiction. Literature is sort of the midpoint between history (hypothetically, although not actually, comprised of pure facts) and philosophy (hypothetically comprised of pure thought). Fiction hunkers down in the middle, almost always borrowing historical influences from the time of writing, and philosophic ideas found in contemporary culture. You should absolutely branch out to the more extreme ends of the spectrum.

Could your recommend some 'palate-cleansing' sci-fi?

Just finished Dracula, and loved it. Weirdly it gave off the vibe of a heist film as I read it.

After you've read the entirety of the Western Canon (which you haven't, because then you'd know what to do) you reread it. Don't you know the first time doesn't even count?

>"high brow"
>Pynchon
I like Pynchon :)

I've literally never read anything other than highbrow. I tried to once but didn't have the patience for poor prose.

thomas sowell

I switch from the "highbrow" stuff to campy noir, a little sci-fi, and, occasionally, bizzaro.

To give myself a break I usually read "mid-brow" stuff such as Orwell, Heller, Vonnegut, Ballard etc.

>implying a man's average lifetime is enough to get through all the highbrow stuff even if you somehow managed to spend every waking hour reading it

>subjectively classifying art

>art
>subjective

art is subjective though.........................................................

>art
>subjective

I only read classics in literary fiction, philosophy, poetry, alt-right and NRx blogs.

Iq = 140

>after you've read all the "high brow" literature

nice bait

seriously, all these people needing sci-fi to 'palate cleanse'. do they even enjoy reading lit or are they just pseuds?

I think we both know the answer

Maunsell sea forts are pretty cool.

All hail Michael Bates of sealand

I thought thoses were AT-AT's from the thumbnail

I usually consume other types of art but otherwise I eat up old sci-fi like Asimov

not that user but
Frankenstein
Winesburg Ohio
As I Lay Dying
Dubliners

What this user said plus

Roadside Picnic is pretty good

Try working through nonfiction books alongside your fiction of preferred depth. It can be hard to get used to the prose quality of (most) nonfiction, but it can be nice to juggle the two.