In "The Raven" did the protagonist kill his fair maiden Lenore in a crime of passion...

In "The Raven" did the protagonist kill his fair maiden Lenore in a crime of passion ? I feel that the raven is a messenger from the devil that's purpose is to warn the protagonist that he is going to Hell.

He's telling the protagonist that his lost love really is lost forever. She's not in the afterlife. There likely isn't one. He's fucked

If there was a single line in that poem which hinted the protagonist killed her, that would be interesting. Unfortunately I don't think there is.

Is the bird supernatural or is the protagonist hallucinating that the bird is speaking ?

It's not supernatural and it's not a hallucination. It's just a fucking metaphor.

I think he's just misinterpreting the bird's call

Poe's protagonists are usually a little bit neurotic

I love Poe as much as a fat chick with dark eye liner and shitty tattoos, but you all are reading too much into it.

>you all are reading too much into it
It's a poem

Also Poe literally wrote an essay scientifically dissecting the Raven in order to explain his creative process

>The raven is not talking... it's what the narrator imagines the raven to be thinking

good point. I thought of something that made me laugh and posted it.

I never got a Christian message from it. nothing to imply the raven as a tool of Satan.

The raven is much more strongly associated with wisdom generally and Norse mythology w/r/t Odin specifically

I don't think the raven was connected to Norse mythology directly. Thought it could be seen as connected in that it is considered a bird of wisdom proceeding forth from paganism (which in the christian world is considered dark to some).

So in that since it may be a christian allegory, if by a wide route

Wasn't it about his 14-year-old wifecousin that died of tuberculosis, or is my timeline a bit off?

*sense

Do you know the name of the essay? Or was it a section of an essay?

Probably, yes. Both his real mother and adoptive mother also died of tuberculosis, so it was kind of a running theme.

I heard a theory that he was immune to Tuberculosis and caused his loved ones to catch it from him

Even if that were true, the cause of the disease was not known to him or his society, so this would have been done without his knowledge. Still, that's even more depressing than his story already is.

The Philosophy of Composition

Sometimes it's in "the Complete" editor ions, sometimes not, like Eureka, his cosmological essay

*editions

Why would the devil send a raven to warn someone they're going to hell? Why?

Definitely not, if you read his other poems even without knowing anything about his life it becomes apparent someone in particular has died that he is writing it about, a lover, it never mentions murder or alludes to it

There is an essay in which Poe explains how he made the poem, everything he does in the poem is for emotional effect.

Ravens can talk bro. So a raven could have heard someone going "nevermore" and is just mimicing it over and over.