German or French?

German or French?

French for reading and speaking, German for shitting.

German for actually living in European cities worth going to

I'm not going to move to Europe, it's for lit&philosophy (and maybe movies and music etc.)

no dude i think she's italian

German

French is worth learning too, but I would go with German first since it's superior.

Why is it superior/

French has better poetry and prose fiction, German has better philosophy. When it comes to cinema it's not even close, German cinema produced some good stuff for a few decades and died out, while French cinema was constantly great until the 90's.

Italian

t. German

French if you actually want to experience great works of literature and cinema

German if you're an autistic wehraboo

this

on a tangent, where does the medium of communication fall shorter, through films with subtitles or books with translations?
surely a film retains more of it's value
go with german

I'm going to be learning both. I'm currently studying German because there are plenty of book in the language I'd like to experience in the original text, but french will happen someday. Just weight the various types of media (book, peoms, films, etc.) And your travel intentions, or if you know people who speak the languages. I know two people who speak German so that is also a motivator. Learning a new language can be pretty daunting, but if you stick with it, it'll come and you might not even realize how good you've gotten until you have.

No one speaks German outside of Germany. Gl with that

I know this is bait but
>Austria
>Belgium
>Germany
>Liechtenstein
>LLuxembourg
>Switzerland

And that's only the officially listed ones

I already speak french, I know the finnish education of swedish and am learning german through it

For lit am learning russian

German if you want to speak with the strongest economy in the world in 20 years.

OP here
I probably got to clarify.
I have to choose which language I'm gonna learn at the uni. I plan to learn the other one later.
On the one hand, french has a lot of vocabulary intersection with English, on the other hand, I have two second cousins in Germany.

italian then
>not reading Dante in original language

Honestly, take german. French is much, much more difficult for someone who knows english than german is. French is my second mother tongue and I took french in school for 9 years and I still have often problems in writing it. Speaking french is definitely the easiest part.

t.

>French is much, much more difficult for someone who knows english than german is
No it's not. I don't blame you though, lots of people think their native language is incredibly hard.

-Philosophy-

German
>Rich vocabulary for philosophy, one that doesn't translate properly or well
>Tendency toward clarity and specificity, with even the notoriously dense authors simply requiring acclimation
>Most important and seminal thinkers in philosophy for the past 200-300 years
>Masters of movements still cutting edge and relevant today
French
>Limited, non-agglutinative vocabulary, translates fine to English
>Tendency toward deliberate obscurantism even at the lowest level, allowing for total charlatans to masquerade as legitimate philosophers to hipsters for decades
>A few important movements, mostly simple undergraduate level (Enlightenment era) or only of interest to women and hipsters (20th c.)
>Masters of fraudulent movements that are clogging philosophy and culture today

-Literature-

German
>Great masters and innovators in Romanticism, Realism, and Modernism
>Mellifluous but precise poetry from a language well-suited for it
>Covers great philosophical themes
>Several great masters like Goethe
French
>Mostly derivative works of saccharine romanticism or outright romance, of little interest to moderns
>Limp language, 'weak'-feeling, no clear stops or divisions, tendency toward the saccharine and effeminate, inferior in flow to fellow Romance language Italian (which also has a superior corpus of poetry)
>Mostly interpersonal, emotional stories, designed to titillate rather than enlighten or cause introspection, good for female readers
>More prolific than profound (Sartre)

-Culture & utility-

Germans
>Politest people on earth
>Industrious
>Powerhouse of Europe, leader of the EU
>Either win wars or lose them when the entire planet joins in
French
>Notoriously rudest people on earth
>Notoriously indolent
>Flagging relevance, second fiddle to Germany in EU
>Lose wars before they start

Yeah, I'm inclined to German. I major in history, so thus I'll be able to read der Führer's and Marx's works in the original

>actually learning when you could be learning French
I mean, I could understand if you wanted to do business in Europe or something, but you stated literature, music and movies as your criteria, and French is vastly superior to German in these areas. I'm half-memeing of course, they're both great, but there seems to be a lot more of enjoyable and interesting content in French.

>there seems to be a lot more of enjoyable and interesting content in French.
I have a dilemma

The Germans wrote better philosophy, but the French have Proust.