Book Burning

Have you ever read a book so bad that you considered destroying it afterwards?

I don't believe in destroying books. But this book helped me review my opinion. Got it as a 'light' read to entertain me (my books were all boxed as I was moving). Some books are not books.

The Illuminatus! Trilogy.

Most of them.

I actually so burn them afterwards.

Tuesday's with Morrie.

have you ever read a book so good you burned it so no one else could read it

my diary, desu

Old Testament

not to burn, but damn, I hated catcher in the rye

Taipei
Story Of The Eye

The first time I attempted to read The Great House by Nicole Krauss I was almost died from how shit it was; yes I might have burned it had I had the idea.

It was alright in the end.

Diary of a young girl. Was required reading in grade school, and everyone hated it so much we gathered at our friends house and burned them.

naked lunch I actually threw in a garbage can once I finished it.

Really? I thought it was absorbing, moving, a splendid work.

fahrenheit 451.

it's not awful, it's actually decent and the first 1/3 of the book is enjoyable, but people hyped it up so fucking hard that i couldnt help but be disappointed.

"The words" by Jean-Paul Sartre

Ironically, F451.

The greatest piece of trash I have ever read.

(Any of Murakami's works)

Only Walden

yes

Naked Lunch

>goddamn books

I burned the Sot-Weed Factor.

lmao

I burned my entire collection of books because I didn't want to deal with them in the move.

Iconoclasm is more artistic than the works of art themselves.

it was so bad, user.

Yes, but then I realized I was browsing Veeky Forums on my kindle
I flushed the cache but then still destroyed it anyway for good measure

(Any of Carlos Cuauhtemoc's work)

This was pretty awful, and I didn't have any room on my small shelves for this to stink it up.

good, i hope it sizzled with the animal fat it's made of.

I tore up a copy of The Final Testament by James Frey that I'd got most of the way through. it was just incredibly bad, the supporting characters were all two dimensional cardboard cutouts and the protagonist was even worse. he's meant to be the second coming of Christ or something but literally all that happens is that he meets people who are totally sad and they become completely happy because he looked in their eyes or held their hand or fucked them, and they become completely obsessed with him and that's not only the entire of their character development but Frey clearly thinks it's oh so deep and countercultural when it's just shit.

Prince of Thorns. I didn't burn it but I threw it in the garbage. It was the worst thing I've ever read

Yep.

I spent nine months reading that piece of shit, but it's such a nice edition that I don't have the nerve to destroy it.

Years ago for xmas I got my 17 year old sister the Vagina Monologues. I was trying to get her into reading and it seemed like something she would sorta like. About a week later I texted her if she read it and she sent me a picture of it on fire in the backyard. Kek. She was quite offended that I thought she'd be into something that degenerate.

I burnt a book once.

Read Kierkegaard's Sickness Unto Death and had my first ever panic attack, during which I nearly committed suicide. Straight up. It was a line, I can't remember it exactly, that made me realize,, for the first time that I was categorically in despair, and that just freaked me the fuck out for whatever reason.

A few hours into that dizzying hell of existential dread, wanting to rip my skin from my body like a mask, wanting to just fucking end it so I could stop feeling like I was being smothered, I took the book out back to my firepit, poured lighter fluid on that shit and lit her up, as if through fire i'd exorcise the demon I'd just found out was inhabiting my spirit.

I had crippling, depersonalizing anxiety for three years straight after that. Twas intense.

I've since grown to love K, and I think he's one of the profoundest thinkers in the west's intellectual history. But I'm not ashamed of what I did. The way I felt, I can't blame myself for thinking that book was legitimately evil.

But yeah, I burned a book.

The Sorrows of Young Werther

Don't worry Goethe himself might have done this too at some point.

I had the joy of studying Brian Friel's 'Dancing at Lughnasa' in my final year of high school, and I've never read so shit a play in all my life - it was purged in the flames.

Everything written by Kafka. Jeez, I hate that guy.

I only burned one book
the guy just had no discernible talent

pleb

Atlas Shrugged

The last couple pages of Norwegian Wood.

this

a book about burning books is so bad it needs to be burned

apex irony

I do not believe in burning, banning, or otherwise removing/destroying any kind of book. I think once you burn one book, anyone can burn any book.

Knowledge is sacred. It must be protected, even if this means allowing shitty books to clog the world. Purity comes from personal refinement. That's why its important to be personally knowledgeable and educated.

Be that as it may, I once read the Twilight and Mortal Instrument series at the bequest of my younger sister, Obviously, they were garbage. I also flipped through Fifty Shades of Gray in a Goodwill. It was absolutely the worst piece of published work I'd ever read. I was amazed anyone could enjoy it in any capacity. After reading these books, I was seized with a great urge to bury them very deep underground.

It's an anime melodrama in book form.

You can burn a book, but you cannot burn the idea of a book. So why bother?

In the foreword in The Trial by Kafka I learned that the book was one of burned books by the nazis, and after I was done reading it I could for the first time in my life feel sympathy with this act.

No, but one time my girlfriend thought she was pregnant so I got drunk and completely destroyed a paperback copy of the Eye of the World that was lying around my room. I hadn't read it.

Perhaps as a form of therapy. A book does not necessarily need to be used as a book.

shill go home

>Have you ever read a book so bad that you considered destroying it afterwards?

Any philosophy book /pol/ likes deserves to be wiped from existence as if it never existed in the first place.

Are you me?

Agree 100%. Utter dogshit.

>going through hard time with gf
>she hands me pic related
>"This book really spoke to me. I want you to read it."
>Sit down for an hour, finish it.
>Literally the cringiest and most terrible thing I've read in my entire life.
>Turns out her gay friend self published it.

>I'm empowered, so listen to me talk about disgusting bullshit.

To be honest, if I'm 100 pages - or even less - into a book and I'm not enjoying it I just put it in the shelve. If anyone asks, "yes, I did read that book"

poisonwood bible

Self published...... that is the warning right there.

And here I thought that I was the only one doing it.

Give it to someone you don't like and pressure them to read it.

I just bought this. Is it really shit?

Implying Anne Frank?

Just the title next time thanks. 1/10

A Separate Peace. I actually burned it.

Ulysses. Incomprehensible claptrap by design. It is pure, unadulterated garbage, deserving none of the praise it gets. I would burn it if the copy was mine; thank God that I didn't waste any money on that abomination.

Saw a girl reading this in Starbucks recently (i know, you couldn't make this up) and so i googled it and it seemed fairly interesting.

Take it the book was tripe?

the bible

Taipei
I love trite, pretentious bullshit but that was awful read beyond any means.

Infinite Jest guise amirite???

If I read a book and it is less than a 5/10 I destroy it after I finish instead of selling it at a used bookstore, which I do for 5-7/10 books. 8+ earn a place on the shelf.

I've destroyed probably 500 books in my life, a few were so awful that after destroying them that I've made a list of them. I always check the local libraries for these books before I move to a new town, check out as many of them as I can, and then destroy them to prevent the corruption of the youth.

I burned my bible in the fireplace. Good times.
Bought the God Delusion to place it. That's my bible now.

The book exploits cheap sentimentality and then fails trying to force undeveloped emotions upon the reader. The story itself also exposes the self-praising author's (incidentally also the main character) insincere motive of merely wanting to make money out of peoples juvenile understanding of death and dying.

This book only works on people who don't think or read much. Almost like a cheap religious movie.

No, it's decent

God Delusion. He's just so angry.

This desu

Well said. It was tripe.

it cant be as bad as the night angel trilogy. THAT was fucking garbage.

he needs to calm down lol, what a wanker