Veeky Forums furniture?

Hey Veeky Forums, can we have a thread discussing bookcases and reading chairs and the like? We had a pretty nice thread on this a couple of months ago. I'm looking for advice on buying a decent quality bookshelf and reading chair, I have books lying around everywhere at the moment and it's hell. Post your reading stations and discuss reading/writing furniture ITT.

Other urls found in this thread:

fritzhansen.com/en/little-friend-ks11-table-height-adjustable#KS11()Body_Base()WALNT()TA136
youtube.com/watch?v=YcEYaEmxTcw
danishdesignstore.com/products/wegner-ch445-wing-chair-carl-hansen-son
ebay.co.uk/bhp/jielde
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>dat sad little plant
:(

I've got Ikea Billys for bookshelves, haven't had any issues with bowing on the shelves yet, though I've only had them a year. They seem really decent for the price. I definitely like them better than the awful shelves I had from Wal-mart for years.

I have Ikea things for reading in too, but none of them are all that comfortable (ekero, knopparp and poang). The $100 sofa is only decent if it's smothered in blankets.

He got very ill when we moved house and is slowly making a recovery.
Pic related? They don't seem to be sagging at all, might be a nice, economical solution for me.

>He
S E X I S T

Yeah, those are mine--the only ones I feared might be too heavy are the art books and anthologies, but I just put those on a bottom shelf and haven't seen any problems.

I built my own bookshelf. Its fine and pine smells good for a long time

>Taking the Greeks meme literally.

what desk is that? I'm looking for a new office desk and I just want a flat simple desk with no keyboard drawer but every single desk I find has one.

Besta is the superior Ikea choice, thickr, stronger, better made, no bare edges and a lot more modular.

I don't really need modular, since I'm after a uniform look.

But I am really into that one Besta color, the light gray walnut one, I was going to do my TV area with it. But I imagine they'll discontinue it right after I get it, like they did with the Billy brown color.

Do you have your books on Besta shelving?

I have a desk and I pile up old textbooks and hardcover books to make it a standing desk. I stand at the desk when I work from home and read at it when it is time to read.

I only like to read standing up or laying down. Reading when sitting feels awkward and uncomfortable.

I have a bookshelf that I found on the curb when I was in college. It is pretty small. If I were to get a bigger one I think I would make one.

Sitting when reading doesn't bother you guys?

Yes, the 20cm deep shelving, works perfectly for 99% of all novels even hardback.
Shallow profile.

Aside from that it also has holes for planks entirely from top to bottom, Billy doesn't have that.

>Sitting when reading doesn't bother you guys?

I prefer laying down but when I'm sitting I'm usually mostly laying down anyway.

C U C K

Is this your collection? That's a lot of books. I wish I had that many.

Most of my stuff is pretty cheap but I do what I can to make it look nice.

Shelves are the standard Ikea Billy, they're not the best but I've never had any major problems with them. The desk is just as low-quality, it's from Staples. Everything else I got used, I either bought it off craigslist or from a cheap local antique store or was given it by a family member.

A good quality used/vintage item will cost just about as much as the cheap version will at Ikea. I used to look for used solid wood bookshelves constantly, but then I just gave up and got these ones.

cool chair in bottom pic

it's a second hand dining table I bought and sanded down
comfy.

Plant's cute

Take your faggot "aesthetics" and fuck off to where your homosexuality belongs. If you seriously need to show off your fucking furniture then you need to reevaluate your narcissistic and pathetic life.

>not even realizing what this board has become

I'm just asking if anyone can recommend me a nice chair and bookshelf you whiny faggot. Sorry if this isn't as "authentic" as your John Greene threads or whatever.

not him but I saved this a few months ago

What is your budget for the chair?

Le nice rhyme

comfy/10

An authentic Eames chair is the way to go.

Eames chair a shit. Ever sat in one? No head support unless you are a midget.

Am I in /v/?

You've done a grand job with what you've got but I think you need a better desk chair.

>Hansen and Quinn's Greek book

Jesus I'm having flashbacks to the language intensive. That shit was tough. No wonder learning Greek has always been such an important marker of one's class; it's impossible

I have some nice shelves in addition to these, but you can make do with cheap shelves so long as you reinforce them. These are cheap $15 Walmart shelves that I got because they fit the space under this window better than anything else I found, and I didn't have the budget or time to do a custom built-in solution. I reinforced each shelf with a solid piece of wood (as you can see in the bottom part picture), which has been pretty effective at preventing shelf-sag. It works here (I think, anyways) because nobody sees under the shelves; in a full height bookcase you might want to try something else.

This user is absolutely correct. The Eames chair is beautiful, but if you're taller than 5'6", it offers zero head support. I've been happy with the old Ekornes I picked up that's in the picture. It can recline like those 'zero-gravity' lawn chairs as well. Very comfy for long reading sessions.

What it be

Did you like Catch-22?

is that.. is that a dell keyboard? i love mine. good choice.

>that pith helmet
>that fan and radio
is this really a place you live in?
it looks really nice. needs wooden blinds though, and a really quality side table for the chair with a nice ashtray you never use but keep a lit cigarette in constantly.

No, not really. Why?

Just curious. Why didn't you?

>shoes on in bed
Just what the fuck dude? Wouldn't be surprised if u dont have a gf

damm, this boy has a neat setup here

I can't do that in my house cuz the books would be bury by dust

I found it dry abd grinding. I got the irony like a quater into the story. I prefer things that are to the point, and if not, atleast reward you sufficiently for the wait. Also, my humble shelf kek

Actually "dude", my shoes aren't on the bed. My one foot is leaning over the edge and the other is resting on my leg. And I have a cutie ;) but you won't believe me anyway.

It's not about whether your shoes are touching your bed or not, it's dirty. Take off your shoes when you get inside ur home, blegh.

Meh, I generally do, but I clean my shoes on a regular basis. It's really not THAT dirty. So what, do you just walk around in socks all day?

Yeah that's what I do, I thought it was a normal thing to do? I walk around in socks all day, and I change socks every day so there's no dirty nowhere on my carpet/floor.

It's just that when you walk outside with ur shoes you're gathering all the poo and pee and dirt from outside then come inside and rub it on your bed and floor it just seems very weird to me. Oh well let's not discuss about arbitrary things

Americans wear shoes at all times unless literally sleeping under the covers. It's weird. I've always taken my shoes and socks off when home.

I don't even wear shoes, go around barefoot everywhere. Otherwise, leather sandals, like my ancestors.

Accidental

>barefoot everywhere
enjoy getting rusty nails in ur foot

w2c table

>not looking where you step
enjoy walking through dogshit. besides, nails can go through rubber soles fairly easily.

Looks comfy user, I like it

>every little piece of pebble will cause you excruciating pain
Wear shoes you peasant.

What is that chair? It's it as comfy as it looks?

boy, you must not know that for millenia man walked without shoes. It doesn't hurt my feet, but then again, i'm accustomed to walking without shoes on. I don't do it to be hip or cool, just because it's comfortable. I don't see why you're so obsessed with my footwear choices.

Dude I dont beleive you dont wear shoes outside, that's just fucknig weird man are u some hobbit or what? pic of your feet or i dont believe u

i'm sorry i even mentioned this. some people are fucking ijits.

It's my home office/study. The pith helmet is nice when I'm working in the garden on a hot day (you soak it in water, and it becomes an air-conditioner for your head), and I fixed up the radio so that it can stream music from my home server/online, as well as being a normal radio (that's more of a /g/ / /diy/ project than a Veeky Forums one though).

The blinds are already wood, actually. There's not really enough space for a side table, unfortunately, but the bookcase is close enough to the chair to make do.

Well, America tends to be cleaner than other countries. If I wear my shoes in the rain in America, they don't smell bad. If I wear my shoes in the rain in China, they smell something fierce.

I'm currently living in central Paris, and the first thing I do when entering my flat is taking off my shoes.

I'm not sure what to tell you, I usually take my shoes off at my bed, even in Taiwan.

well, it's neat. you have a nice little area there. who's the bust of? good thing you have friday night lights so i can feel better about my patrician tastes and accept that though my study/office isn't as aesthetic, at least it doesn't have friday night lights in it. just wanted to thank you for assuaging my ego.

Where in America do people do this? I don't know anyone that doesn't take off their shoes.

I'm glad my shoes started their first internet debate.

Literally everyone I knew back when I lived in San Diego.

fritzhansen.com/en/little-friend-ks11-table-height-adjustable#KS11()Body_Base()WALNT()TA136

>California
Explains it. Try the east coast.

Happy to help. I have a mix of good and shit books in here.

The bust is (supposedly) of Cicero. If it is, it must be a young Cicero, because he doesn't have the pleasant patrician jowls you see on most Cicero busts. I can see him from some angles, but from others it doesn't look much like him. But this is what happens when you order things sight-unseen.

Fuck off, everyone on the east coast wears shoes inside too, quit lying.

You'd have to be delusional to spend that much on a table

You'll jump out of your seat when you learn how much the chair cost. Dude posted the pic last winter, spent a whole day spewing knowledge about furniture materials and construction.

Some people got mad and he hasn't been back since.

…or to like nice furnitures. I don't get why it'd be more irrational than spending $6,000 on a watch.

It doesn't even look like it sits right..

I don't mind the expensive chair and table, but the books stacked so that you can't grab one without needing to move everything else in that stack is stupid. We use shelves for a reason.

Try stacking two feet of books up against the wall and grab the book in the middle. It's not hard.

Actually, it's easy to grab every book ex the lowest one, and I assume he stacked them according to when he read them.

Try putting that book back in the middle after you're done with it. It's not easy.

Wasn't that guy looking at getting some super expensive shelves as well?

I don't recall. Maybe. Waruso is down.

Just put the book in the top of the pile. Doesn't look like it matters much.

Absolute maximum £1k, ideally, between £200 and £500.
He was a cool guy, he recommended me a book on Hans Wegner.
If it makes you feel any better I've not even started on it, it was a gift.

I remember a video he linked, which I bookmarked, which was probably the shelving being looked into.

youtube.com/watch?v=YcEYaEmxTcw

For 500 GBP, you could get a wishbone chair. And maybe something to prop your feet up.

I'm not sure I'm sold on the wishbone honestly. I love the aesthetic, but the posture looks rather upright for a chair I'd like to read in. It looks more like something I'd sit at a desk or dining table with. Was hoping for something more lounge like.

I think the best thing would be to go to a nice furniture store and sit in fifty different chairs.

Not a bad idea, I really like the CH22 lounge chair by Wegner but it's just shy of 2 grand. Also, including the stool, the chair that furniture user posted all those months ago is just shy of £4k.

Yeah the price tags are hefty, but then again, I see it as something that you can enjoy for the rest of your days. Still, gathering the funds and dropping them on a single item is a bit of feat.

It's something I could justify to myself once I've graduated and am in stable employment, but yeah, as a student I really can't justify spending thousands on a chair.

Secondhand is probably the way to go. Just try out chairs until you find one you like.

If you don't want to do that, the Strandmon chair and ottoman at Ikea is comfy enough, not especially unattractive (you can get it in non-garish colors), and relatively inexpensive.

hey ol' buddy ol' pal could I get a closer look at the books on your desk?

You haven't read any of those books, have you? Most of them look unread unless you turn the pages with tweezers or something.

The only books I haven't read is Apollodorus, Homeric Hymns, Aristotle, a few individual plays, trial of socrates, the bible, and dawn to decadence. The Harold Blooms one I just use as a reference so I haven't read those front to back, and the ones on the higher shelf I started but didn't finish and plan to come back to. The ones lying on the table (ovid, thucydides) I'm currently reading. Sorry I take care of my books though

I really really wish this guy would come back. I can't remember the name of the furniture and chair makers he recommended.

Eames is shit

>Discussing proper protocol w/r/t shoe and feet placement inside one's personal space

This is a literature board for fs, stop acting all Japanese obsessive like.

So what is the best modern-styled reading and lounge chair?

very nice

Midcentury rocking chair bought in the 60s. Salvaged from grandma's basement. It's pretty nice if you have a good-sized pillow like the one I have. You could probably find one pretty easily if you want

danishdesignstore.com/products/wegner-ch445-wing-chair-carl-hansen-son

ebay.co.uk/bhp/jielde