Dad likes reading

>dad likes reading
>tell dad he should read Don Quijote before he dies
>3 chapters in and tells me it is too hard
Should I change my last name?

Change it to Quixote.

Yeah, probably a good idea, so your father won't have to be shamed by you anymore.

This, you're a cunt OP

Don't be mean to your dad because he spent his life trying to make a family and provide for them the best he could, instead of shaming others over Internet opinions.

Unless you're a Spaniard it's retarded as hell to read it.

t. Cultural relativist

kys

he's right

And yet loads of the greatest English writers seemed to get a lot out of it in translation without bothering to learn a language that had nothing else worth reading besides this one masterpiece.

Yeah change it to "faggot"

He's not. You don't have to be of a particular nationality to get something out of a work of art. Unless it's a pretty bad work of art.

Faulkner claimed it was his bible and reread it once a year

what did he mean? how is don quixote hard?

You're a retard....

Then OP's father would be Don Quixote

My father is a blue collar and probably hasn't read a book since highschool.

He gets all of his knowledge from audiobooks now. His entire life is put to a background sound of either podcasts or audiobooks running off his Ipod.

Thus I would suggest your father listen to the audiobook instead of reading like a patrician.

If he doesn't have the patience to listen to it than you should bury him now.

You need to leave.

You have caused me to become mildly upset. Congratulations.

Not Op, but why?

I listen to audio books while I'm in the car and wish my parents had the capacity to read (or listen) to new concepts instead of becoming absorbed by the television. At least the guy is trying.

Congratulations on sounding like the most pompous faggot ever to exist, give the man a break.

Then read it with him, faggot. Teach him as he taught you. Don't do it in a snide way either. Ask him if he wants help, and if he doesn't, don't push it. But you're probably a shit person, just tell your dad you love him. You've probably worn him down over your life of being an elitist swine, he probably just wishes he could be young again and feel atop the world.

Your dad probably likes reading James Patterson and Nelson DeMille, and there is literally nothing wrong with that.

>mom is a big reader, the reason I'm a reader
>dad not so much
>mom tells me one day that dad suddenly got on a reading kick
>old adventure novels and shit
>get excited, think of what I could lend him
>mom tells me that he had to stop a lot and ask her the meanings of certain words
>realize I shouldn't lend him stuff from my collection
>he's off the reading kick now anyway

I'm pleased by the filial piety in here.

OP stop being a dick. Go read The Aeneid to truly understand what it means to be a good son.

Then kys to save face

>retires
That one hits hard tbqh

this.

you're a pretentious, oblivious asshole. I just hope your poor dad isn't too ashamed of you.

I guess if you have a shitty translation. I originally read the Jarvis translation, which was kind of awkward, and later read the Grossman translation which was 'easier' (and also better, desu senpai).

>Spanish
>nothing else besides Don Quijote

That could be worse. I told my dad to read it and he said it is too childish. I have no hope anymore.

Uncultured pig

at least you have a dad

this. I wasn't prepared for this feeling.

all the serious replies while op was clearly just a little disappointed in his dad and made a joke.

dude eat fucking shit OP I can't believe how fucking pretentious you are

Name one thing wrong with audiobooks.
>filial piety
Could've just said piety user.

It's rapidly becoming clear to me that everything I am reading, my dad read before me. And everything I listen to, too.

>instead of reading like a patrician.
>If he doesn't have the patience to listen to it than you should bury him now.

Nothing wrong with audiobooks, especially if someone who wouldn't normally read uses them. But Veeky Forums's foolish fascination with being "patrician" is as amusing as it is annoying, and no better exemplified in your response. I expect of course that your suggestion to OP that he should bury his father was of course not entirely serious, but it rang with the same snobbish tone OP himself had.

I am irked by the fact that you both would so readily condemn honest, hardworking men who have at least some interest in furthering their knowledge.

Of course, you could both joking. Then I am the fool.

Holy shit you're the worst of worst scum. Being mean to your dad and/or mom is an instant red flag. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just trying to be edgy or has daddy problems

same

that picture literally enrages me every time I see it, and I'm a guy with a well paying job and no student loans

My mom is cheating on my dad. The worst part is that I understand why she does it. The best I can do is shut up, but then they blame me for being such an introvert.

If you love someone unconditionally, no matter who, you risk having the same faults as they do.

Now blackmail her into giving you WONGA (that's English English for loads of money)

how does it feel that your mother is a whore

I feel bad for you man

No, mad wonga is like loadsamoney, wonga's just like easy cash.

actually this