Dr. Faustus

Is Goethe's Faust a mandatory reading before this? Or just a summary is enough. Are there references to it? I gather this is a reworking of the traditional legend, so maybe not.
Also, is this good? Any comments?

Don't read this shit. There are better german Authors

>Is Goethe's Faust a mandatory reading before this?
Goethe's Faust is mandatory reading in any case.

such as?

hahaha nice try Berthold, you're epic theatre will never be relevant again.

This.

Hesse

no, you don't have to read goethe's faust at all
it helps to be familiar with classical music though

Literaly that guy is better in every way. Gallileo me lmao

You need to read Foust either way

this

the references are largely thematic and oriented around part 1.

Mann's Faust is one of the GOATs. Ignore this faggot he obviously hasn't read a book in his life.

Hesse is great but when someone points him out as the best German author you know they've got taste, he's literally the easiest author of high literature to read there is

Go fuck yourself, motherfucker! I hope you get Cancer!!!!

*no taste

CAAAAAAAAAAANCER!!!!!!

i love mann and hesse and to say hesse is easy is insane. it probably means you read siddhartha and steppenwolf and assumed his early work is representative of his oeuvre

>it's easy so it's bad

Fallada.

Benno Von Archimboldi

Mann is God tier.

readability doesn't equal intellectual vapidity

Hesse's full of interesting philosophical influences but his prose and narrative style are concise and clear. That's a part of his acclaim to here in Germany. Compared to Mann, his books are a breeze to read. I've said nothing about depth though.
I literally said Hesse is great but to a German it's like saying Salinger was the best American author. They're great but it points to a lack of knowledge.

they're actually nothing alike (salinger and hesse) and im pretty sure you dont actually know anything about german literature (nor american literature)

stop backtracking. you obviously tried to do the "look at me im so smart if its readable it's bad" bullshit that pseuds like to put forth on Veeky Forums

consider suicide

>calling someone a pseud in a discussion on Hermann Hesse
Man, every second teenager has read Siddharta, there's no intellectual superiority to be found. That's the unmissable similarity, by the way. Also, being this triggered while not knowing your shit is pretty embarrassing. You didn't say Musil, Schmidt, Büchner or Celan, you said fucking Hermann Hesse, every baby's first choice and then proceeded to act like a smug asshole about it. Embarassing.

if you read hesse further than his meme works you would know that he towers high in intellectual stature.

You're talking about The Glass Bead Game, aren't you? Why do you think that has anything to do with my point of Hesse being a very digestible and readable stylist? And why do you feel the need to bring up the point that his most renowned works are somehow not a good example? I have nothing against Hesse but bringing him up as your only choice in German literature is an obvious choice, a novice's choice and doesn't make it seem like you understand German literature circles.

translation: i haven't read anything besides the wikipedia summary of siddhartha but i'm gonna shitpost on Veeky Forums anyway

nigga i wasnt even the one who said hesse i just walked into this thread and saw you act like a textbook pseud

What is wrong with you?

Jean Paul (!)
Arno Schmidt
Christoph Martin Wieland