So I started reading the Veeky Forums starter kit and I started with George Orwell's 1984 but it was "meh"...

So I started reading the Veeky Forums starter kit and I started with George Orwell's 1984 but it was "meh". Are books really a "meh" experience or am I missing something about these classic books?

These are the easy reads you should have read in high school. Only a few of them are representative of more involved literature so they're in a middling spot which may be underwhelming for someone who wants more, or boring to someone who just wants shlock.

>should have read in high school
I'm not from an english-speaking country, no such thing as book assignments in my time.

>no such thing as book assignments
so what, did you just learn how to suck each others cocks or something?

I thought this board was a bit more mature, i'll try elsewhere, thanks anyways.

Did you read it in english?

I mean its always possible 1984 just wasnt your thing. I read it when i was young so i was like WOAH BEST BOOK EVER. Try another. Just cause its classic doesnt mean itll tickle your fancy.

You read all those as part of your high school curriculum in america?

Start with the greeks and you can dismiss those shitty books

Not all of them of course, but we read most of those in my High School Lit classes.

We read Slaughterhouse 5, Lord of the Flies, Huck Finn, Siddartha, Of Mice and Men, Grapes of Wrath, Fahrenheit 451, To Kill a Mockingbird, Brave New World 1984 and The Great Gatsby.

It was AP lit though, not sure what the normies read.

>calling 1984 meh
maybe times have changed, but to me 1984 stands as an almost perfect short novel

Where's Infinite Jest?

Underage detected.

Are you new here? This board has always thought that.

AP Lit was the most normie class at my school.

I'm 26 and have been here for as far as I can remember. I consider myself pretty well read, but I still think 1984 is a first class novel

I went to public school in texas. Literature was not held in very high regard...

What is the point of this thread? What do you expect people to tell you?

Maybe you should read something that interests you instead of reading a book from a list and then bitching that it didn't wow you

When I was in highschool, I caught sight of some girls that I'd known, at the bookstore. I just KNEW, they'd figure that 1984 was "kewl beans", so I picked it up and "ran into them". One of the girls, who I didn't know, went on and on, about how great of a book it was. I hadn't read it, and I still haven't read it, but I ended up taking that girl's virginity later that year (or maybe 2 years after). Good times.

Then why did you say maybe times have changed if you have been on here for years? If you have you would know what lits opinion on the book is.

>So I started reading the Veeky Forums starter kit and I started with George Orwell's 1984 but it was "meh".

Fuck off back to /tv/

1984 isn't meh but Orwell went too far and used excessive fear and tragedy for his plot. Dramatisation was solely exploited and abused just for the sake of covering up the overblown fictiveness of his "state of fear". This made the whole novel as a mental masturbatory device for liberals and leftist thinkers. As a result, 1984 became nothing but a fragile terror dystopia.

Fuck off back to /tv/

1984 was very boring. very overhyped in popular culture. however, i just finished lolita, which was amazing, and the prose is stunning yet without being too difficult. read that one next OP

i've read all of these
lolita = catch 22 = huck finn > brave new world > one flew over the cuckoo's nest = 1984 > the rest > american psycho >>>> mockingbird

honestly all of those books are shit. start with the Greeks.