Veeky Forums 101

I'm new to the whole 'patrician' reading scene. I snagged Ulysses last night, but won't be getting to it for a while. I'm still searching for Mythology by Edith Hamilton along with Illiad and Odyssey by translated by Fags, attempting to loosely follow the guide.
>pic related

I was planning on taking the whole "start with Greeks" meme route, but I was also wanting to begin reading philosophy and poetry as soon as I can, but have no clue where to start with either. Pre-Socratic philosophy? What about poetry, Greeks again?

Thx 4 helpin' a n00b

Britannica's Great Books 54 volume set (complete)
Chicago, Encyclopedia Britannica;

The 54 volumes are:
1) The Great Conversation;
2) The Great Ideas I;
3) The Great Ideas II;
4) Homer;
5) Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripides, Aristophanes;
6) Herodotus, Thucydides;
7) Plato;
8 & 9) Aristotle I & II;
10) Hippocrates, Galen;
11) Euclid, Archimedes, Apollonius, Nicomachus;
12) Lucretius, Epictetus, Marcus Aurelius;
13) Virgil;
14) Plutarch;
15) Tacitus;
16) Ptolemy, Copernicus, Kepler;
17) Plotinus;
18) Augustine;
19-20) Thomas Aquinas I/II;
21) Dante;
22) Chaucer;
23) Machiavelli, Hobbes;
24) Rabelais;
25) Montaigne;
26 & 27) Shakespeare;
28) Gilbert, Galileo, Harvey;
29) Cervantes;
30) Francis Bacon;
31) Descartes, Spinoza;
32) Milton;
33) Pascal;
34) Newton, Huygens;
35) Locke, Berkeley, Hume;
36) Swift, Sterne; 37) Fielding;
38) Montesquieu, Rousseau;
39) Adam Smith;
40 & 41) Gibbon I & II;
42) Kant;
43) American State Papers, The Federalist, JS Mill;
44) Boswell;
45) Lavoisier, Fourier, Faraday;
46) Hegel;
47) Goethe;
48) Melville;
49) Darwin;
50) Marx, Engels;
51) Tolstoy;
52) Dostoevsky;
53) William James;
54) Freud.

General patrician-core?

You're welcome, fuck off back to /mu/ or Veeky Forums, and come back when you've read them.

and way to make my thread gawky and ugly, kek

lol, what's wrong with getting direction before setting out on a journey?

All I'm really asking is what poetry and/or philosophy can and should be read alongside these starters.

And you missed my home board, nigger ;)

Would you recommend going through that list in the order it's presented?

>patrician patrician patrician meme meme meme
Protip: you're not going to get anything out of reading the classics. You will not enjoy yourself. Reading the classics does not make you inherently cooler or more intelligent. It does not make you special. It just makes you a guy who reads books.

this. Stop falling for the "I have read x book and therefore I have a cooler identity" meme. Having read Ulysses does not make you an enlightened being, it makes you someone who happens to have read a good book. Yes, being well read makes you a more thoughtful person, but you will never get to that point if you only want the identity of "patricianhood" and don't actually enjoy reading and thinking in the first place.

Yes.

Follow this mini guide
Homer* - Plato - Aristóteles - Sófocles - Aristófanes - Ésquilo - Eurípedes
One Thousand and One Nights
Vírgil* - Ovid* - Seneca
Dante* - Chaucer* - Montaigne - Cervantes - Camões*
Shakespeare* - Milton* - Blake*
Goethe* - Montaigne

this will give you enough baggage and will last for a good time, after those you can start to look for yourself, you may read more older stuff like Petrarca, Boccaccio and Rabelais, or start to go for the greats in the XIX century. The thing is, your perception of literature will be good enough that you will become your own guide

*means the author wrote poetry

put Montaigne twice there, ops

I also meant to ask in the OP: how do you guys approach reading? Surely it varies for the different types of literature.. But if say you were going to read the Iliad, how would evaluate it before, during and after?

What sort of analytical tools do good readers have?

ty sire.

Well said, and I understand that. I do however find that most board cultures I'm foreign to have better opinions than mine, so the 'patrician' elitist meme ends up being a nice reference for underdeveloped knowledge/ taste and entry level people like myself. It's not to best anyone, it's because I'm exhausting my list of books I personally wanted to read, so I need new ones on the back burner.

>Having read Ulysses does not make you an enlightened being, it makes you someone who happens to have read a good book.
>Ulysses
>good book
Aaaaahahahahahhahhahahahaha

Not so fast there, chief

Read something that isn't a chore. Classic or not.

I bet if you just read one book by one author you vibe with, and they're decent, you will learn more than slogging through "classics" that relatively few people give a fuck about anymore

I get you now, just do away with the whole patrician/pleb dichotomy in your head though, it's utterly cancerous. There's already been suggestions made in the thread, but personally, I'd start with Mortimer J. Adler's "How to Read a Book". It's the perfect entry point. The core text equips you with a number of techniques to enhance your reading ability, and it has an appendix with an exhaustive recommended reading list, and a secondary appendix with a number of exercises for you to hone your literary analysis.
This is also good advice. Give the classics a try, but if you genuinely dislike them, don't force it.

Plato and Shakespeare

Oh great, a /v/tard, or worse, a /tv/ memer. Either way you should fuck off.

>shitskin beaner detected

I'm finishing Moby Dick up here soon, which I've enjoyed tremendously, but after a couple more books my list of "shit to read" is going to be exhausted. I'm excited to read some Mark Twain next though, then my list is empty (was, at least).

Yeah, you're right, it's completely cancerous and I agree, using that phrasing was kind of a stab at myself. But it does effectively communicate what I'm looking for.

Still missing, want a hint babe? :*

How do you feel about pic related?

>he skips Herodotus and Thucydides

Way to completely and utterly meme this poor fucker.

In all truthfulness I might reread Moby Dick. There were so many words in that book I didn't know, so many references I never bothered to look up. For how slow paced it is, it's a surprisingly thick book, in terms of content density. But man do I love his writing, it reads like poetry. First book I've read that has got me to see so much beauty and aesthetics. Plus I just love me some whales and the ocean, so that's nice.

blogshit goes on /r9k/

go and acquire some culture
this diet of memes is making you retarder

>start with the Greeks

Literally why? Read what you want to.

Maybe he wants to start with the Greeks. Ever think of that?! Huh? Did you? Huh, little boy? Did ya?!

Starting with the Greeks is important if you want a deeper understanding of literature. Most of the great authors had a classical education and they wrote with the assumption that the reader was also familiar with Greek texts.