What do you guys think about W&P? Is it worth the effort? Also, what is the best English translation?

what do you guys think about W&P? Is it worth the effort? Also, what is the best English translation?

Other urls found in this thread:

nybooks.com/articles/2007/11/22/tolstoys-real-hero/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Not effort, just endurance.
It's fantastic. Really good spectrum of humanity. Almost every possible human character is represented in a way.

Its so good reading it is hardly an effort.

Without exaggeration, one of the best things I've read thus far.

True. It was a surprisingly quick read for me (or felt like it).

war parts are bad; peace parts are good. P&V

Okay wow I guess I'll get on it then. Do you guys like a specific translation or did you read it in the original?

the one you posted is the best translation. get that one.

i read rosemary edmonds translation and it was great
i read some of p & v and didn't like it as much

very fun book, great characters

I'm Spanish so I read a spanish translation. Sorry that I can't help you

It's one of the unmemeable books. Too long for plebs, too good to be joked about, not edgy or clever or funny enough for pomo fans, and not enough hype to be memed. Same with Anna K, Bros K, Moby Dick, Don Quixote, Middlemarch, The Waves etc.

Which is why threads about those books are 90% "this book sucks it's so boring" and 10% "this book is incredible"

>too good to be joked about

>>>/reddit/

Tolstoy is the greatest writer who has ever lived.

"no"

>not enough hype to be memed. Same with Anna K, Bros K, Moby Dick, Don Quixote, Middlemarch, The Waves etc.

I've read The Brokers Karamazov, Moby Dick, Don Quixote, and reading Anna Karenina right now solely because of Veeky Forums. Memeing isn't always a bad thing

>It's one of the unmemeable books
We can still meme pretty hard about the translations, though.

>Universally acclaimed as one of the best books of all time
>Is it worth the effort?
What do you think, faggot?

>War and Peace. A little too long. A rollicking historical novel written for the general reader, specifically for the young. Artistically unsatisfying. Cumbersome messages, didactic interludes, artificial coincidences. Uncritical of its historical sources.

Is nabokov right?

I mean, I can see why it's not his kind of thing. But everything he hates about it is stuff I, and most people who really get into it, love

Maude is best for Tolstoy. Avoid P&V.

Maude translations were personally approved by Tolstoy, go with them.

Fuck the PnV shillers OP. Read the Aylmer Maude translation. Knew Tolstoy personally.

I read the first ~800 pages or so; the story is convoluted, but interesting, the most diffucult thing must be the names-nicknames-lastnames, even though I know how it goes. Aside from that, I realizes that I haven't even gotten to the 'philosophical' part of the novel, and I am planning to read it again this year, possibly somewhere in November throught December, being such a comfy book that reminds a little too much of winter.

He was jealous.

Considering it's the best book ever written, yes.

"no"

"No"

Can you guys duke it out or something

That would end the whole translation arguments meme. For what it's worth I found P+V's translation of Master and Margarita really bad, but Russian historian Orlando Figes rates their War and Peace so maybe that's better.

nybooks.com/articles/2007/11/22/tolstoys-real-hero/

The Avsey translation is best for W&P

If you can't find that just go for Briggs.

>Not blue enough for my particular synesthesia. Unsatisfying amount of child-fucking. 3/10

oh u cornfather

are P&V translations bad in general or just for war and peace? I read their translation of anna karenina and enjoyed it but a lot of people seem to shit on their war and peace translation.

>Names-nicknames-lastnames
I assume it uses the Russian patronymics?

I have found other Russian novels a little confusing at times because of the diminutive and short forms and all the variations that the names can have.

Yeah same with most Dostoevsky
You get used to it, learn a bit of Russian can help